Future Expectations and Benchmarks

I'm curious....... what if we have a similar number of injuries *knock on wood* as we did this year? Will that automatically cause some of you to back off these 11 and 12 win requirements, 0-2 loss requirements, CCG appearance demands? It sure seemed to be a pretty universal excuse (explanation) for the results of this past season by many posters hereabouts.

I'd back off my expectations in the face of multiple, serious injuries. Sure we can expect to lose a guy or two over the course of a season. But it's just unreasonably bad luck to lose our starting QB, backup QB (for a couple games), and 80% of our O-line. It would be silly to think we'd not drop off some after this level of injury.

OTOH, if we have those same kinds of injuries next year (heaven forbid), then we need to ask some serious questions about or strength and condition program.

Just curious, I know our S&C may have areas that need improvement (we all do), the entire team does. But honestly, I might be naïve, how does that change this year's injuries? Should the S&C coaches have put a bionic foot on Martinez? Possibly replace the OL's MCL's with bungee cords? Maybe if they wouldn't have made Turner's quads so dam strong he wouldn't have pulled his hami? I don't get it....

and if you tell me "proper stretching", I will slap you silly....

Average S&C doesnt lead to multiple injuries. But it does make the difference betweej losing to Iowa and Minnysoda. We could up our game in that department. No reason we cant once again build beasts.

AS fOr injuries hindering my epectations, if we get slaughtered again by that bug I expect 11 wins. Its time to jump the 10 win hump or at least the 4 loss mark.

I'm curious....... what if we have a similar number of injuries *knock on wood* as we did this year? Will that automatically cause some of you to back off these 11 and 12 win requirements, 0-2 loss requirements, CCG appearance demands? It sure seemed to be a pretty universal excuse (explanation) for the results of this past season by many posters hereabouts.

I think UGA would have been significantly better without their injuries.

With our lack of depth, you don't lose a 4 yr QB, an AA OL and most of the remaining OL for games at a time and expect to win. Throw in JT, KB, QE, TA and AA and I really think we were lucky to win 8. I would say the same thing if we had these next year. This year we were decimated by injuries. The most I can remember since I have been watching Husker football.

I'd back off my expectations in the face of multiple, serious injuries. Sure we can expect to lose a guy or two over the course of a season. But it's just unreasonably bad luck to lose our starting QB, backup QB (for a couple games), and 80% of our O-line. It would be silly to think we'd not drop off some after this level of injury.

OTOH, if we have those same kinds of injuries next year (heaven forbid), then we need to ask some serious questions about or strength and condition program.

Just curious, I know our S&C may have areas that need improvement (we all do), the entire team does. But honestly, I might be naïve, how does that change this year's injuries? Should the S&C coaches have put a bionic foot on Martinez? Possibly replace the OL's MCL's with bungee cords? Maybe if they wouldn't have made Turner's quads so dam strong he wouldn't have pulled his hami? I don't get it....

I think proper stretching (and some jumping jacks) would help. Heh heh.

I don't have a lot of hard and fast benchmarks the team has to meet. My number one priority is simply that they play better in all facets of the game, win games they should, don't get blown out in any, and for the love of God, play and coach all 4 quarters for once.

As far as more tangible things;

1- We're Nebraska- we belong in the top 25. Do what it takes to get there and stay there every week. I would've said top 15 but I am willing to accept baby steps for now.

2- I do think, as far as this current staff is concerned, there are some hard and fast requirements at this point in time. Winning our division and at least playing well in the CCG would be a bare minimum for the upcoming season.

I wouldn't say I "expect" any of this to happen, but if it doesn't, Pelini and Co. can go packing.

this. +1.

Making a 4 team playoff should not be the only qualifier for a great season. Being top 4 year in and year out is simply not reasonable for anyone.

For expectations, lets start with being ranked each and every week should be simply expected. Period, no excuses.

Which unfortunately will not be the case at the beginning of next year in all likelihood. Lose to Georgia (which is the outcome I expect) and there will be no chance to crack the rankings until/if a win over Miami.

Avoid the Bo-Fart game. Which amounts to beat who you are supposed to beat. Yes, upsets are going to happen now and then, it is college football. But coming out and looking completely unprepared to play, or unmotivated should not happen.

Strait up win totals mean very little. A nasty schedule with lots of tough, ranked teams might have a different outcome than one full of losing teams (like this year's) Missing out of a CCG due to a close hard fought loss to the division champion, is very different than being eliminated in week 10 from losing to other also-rans.

Okay. Let's say next year we have another season riddled with injuries like we just went through. That is, we have like four times as many injuries as a normal year. Again. Should we just shrug our shoulders and say,oh well? If this happens again it would begin to seem like a trend. And I'd think we'd look at everything we're doing. In particular S&C.

Also, the jumping jacks seem like a good idea. /jk

Championships should be the standard at Nebraska.

If they won one next year, they'd be in the discussion for the playoff, and that would be a great, great year for this team.

If they played for it and lost a competitive game, a lot of people would be angry, but it would be an improvement.

Getting their doors blown in the CCG, or not playing for it, should be cause for coaching change next year if the current head coach is still the coach.

:yeah