**** What Did We Learn ****

Beck had some great calls, no question. But passing on 3rd and 6 with 3:30 left instead of rushing to kill the clock even if you dont pickup the first proved he doesnt grasp the management role yet.

This is just insane and demonstrates no understanding of football.

Beck made the same call almost every successful coach would make in the same situation, and made another call that a lot of coaches wouldn't, and it turned out to be pretty legendary. The amount of time you'd drain with a running play makes little difference when there's still three and a half minutes. Either way would leave plenty of time for Georgia to make a last drive. The first down was key. Draining clock was not.

They rode Abdullah for 27 carries and he did his job like the workhorse he is. I'm almost dumbfounded there are still people on here contending that Beck abandoned the run when we needed it most, but then every one of these fancy-pants forward passes seems to get their panties in a bunch.

Jesus, people complain we're not using Newby enough. Nothing wrong with that shovel pass call, either. Unless you geniuses predicted our back-up RB would invariably turn upfield before securing a ball put directly in his hands. It was a good call precisely because Abdullah was taking a breather and Newby would draw less attention.

Best post of 2014

I really don't care about the clock issue, not my point. I was agreeing to the run call. I have a good understanding of football. I put the ball in my best player's hands and let him make the play to win the game if it is possible.

However, I am not one who has been critical of Beck all season. I think he is a good coach. I find it funnythat he was the greatest OC in the country last year and now he is an idiot.

you are reasonable, so i do not want you to think that i am attacking you or anything. but with that logic, we would give it to AA every play. and frankly, they expected that. that is why the pass was open. i really wonder what would have happened if we ran it there, but i doubt we would be talking about it (whether or not it was successful). people seem to be less upset when a run is stuffed rather than at an incompletion.

Well I guess Im among the minority. Im ok with that. Sure, had the passed worked it would be no biggie but I still wouldnt agree with it, not the call Id make.

3:30 becomes 2:30 even if we had to punt from not pickng up the first. A minuts makes a difference concerning their play calling.

Ameer was clutch all day at the run. TA was not clutch all day with the pass. Yes the 99 yarder was incredible but Enunwa had alot to do with it to.

Im not a football genius by any means but I do have an understanding of the game and telling me I dont because you disagree about a play call is Busch League. Really wasnt trying to make this a huge debate. Simply not the call Id make, even on a video game.

Gonna be a long offseason. Good game today by everyone.

Beck had some great calls, no question. But passing on 3rd and 6 with 3:30 left instead of rushing to kill the clock even if you dont pickup the first proved he doesnt grasp the management role yet.

Beck made the same call almost every successful coach would make in the same situation, and made another call that a lot of coaches wouldn't, and it turned out to be pretty legendary. The amount of time you'd drain with a running play makes little difference when there's still three and a half minutes. Either way would leave plenty of time for Georgia to make a last drive. The first down was key. Draining clock was not.

They rode Abdullah for 27 carries and he did his job like the workhorse he is. I'm almost dumbfounded there are still people on here contending that Beck abandoned the run when we needed it most, but then every one of these fancy-pants forward passes seems to get their panties in a bunch.

Jesus, people complain we're not using Newby enough. Nothing wrong with that shovel pass call, either. Unless you geniuses predicted our back-up RB would invariably turn upfield before securing a ball put directly in his hands. It was a good call precisely because Abdullah was taking a breather and Newby would draw less attention.

Well, I guess my insanity is making me tired. Im going to bed.

I thought this game was fun.

Fun because we won.

And because Bo Pelini and the players looked excited as hell on the sideline.

That's not a small thing. It's everything that seemed missing to me the past couple seasons. I couldn't tell if this team was having fun playing football.

A bowl win is a huge building block.

And the difference in this defense over the course of 13 games is equally huge.

I guess we'll find something to talk about for the next 8 months, but if it doesn't involve Bo Pelini's job security -- and it shouldn't -- I'll probably just spend more time with my family.

Probably shouldn't have singled you out, Dux. I think I was reacting to a couple years worth of posters who are convinced we could run at will if only our too-cute OC got out of the way.

1. We need to learn how to catch. Grab the jug machine!

2. Our defense showed up and bottled a fierce run game.

3. Still looking for LB's to hold up better in coverage that still bring the wood in the run game.

4. Andrew Green does know how to form tackle and he actually hit the hole in run support. Best game of his career.

5. When our offense doesn't short our defense, they give up a lot less points.

6. AA continues to find a way.

7. 9 wins to beat a dead horse!

8. Georgia looks eerily similar to Nebraska right down to the punt team mistakes.

1. Beck is allergic to the run game, especially when it matters most...

For the game, we threw 16 times and ran 43 times.

In the second half, we threw 7 times and ran 23 times.

In the fourth quarter, we threw 4 times and ran 13 times. We threw once in the last 10 minutes (on third down) - the other three were on 2nd or 3rd and 8+.

This was in a game we won by 5. Are people only going to be happy if we never pass?

I'm out of upvotes, but know that I'm upvoting you in my heart.

• Fire 1

My issue is with the type of pass play that was called. Armstrong has accuracy issues trying to throw from the pocket to the sidelines 10-15 yards downfield. A straight dropback pass in four-wide with those routes is a long way from his strengths. Give him a screen pass or some shallow crossing routes. Give him a run-pass option.

I thought the shovel pass was a great call. The pass at the 1-yard line was decent but nothing brilliant. It was the same pass we tried against PSU (PI call) and Georgia ran a very risky Cover 2 zone. Yet the latter resulted in the longest play in school history and the former resulted in an incomplete pass. Go figure.

I think Beck called an average game. And not because he didn't run enough. I just don't see the attacking creativity that I see with many other teams. Where are all the perfect situational calls that exploit the other teams strategy and leave a receiver wide open? I see it 5-10 times a game with lots of teams (often our opponents) but only a couple from Beck (the play-action to Carter was nice). Even the run calls are very predictable. It's not terrible and he managed the risk pretty well, but it's a long way from elite. And part of that is his lack of confidence in the passing skills of the QBs he's had to work with, so I can cut him some slack there.

I try not to argue about play-calling because obviously no one can prove their claims and almost no one is swayed by arguments one way or the other. And it seems that about 80% of people are already decided on all the coaches and use their conclusions as their starting point. Some endlessly stick up for the defense and blame the offense. Some do it the other way around. Some stick up for all the coaches no matter what. Others can't stand the coaches no matter what (even to the point of rooting against the team to get the coaches fired). If there is interesting conversation, it's usually between the 20% that are willing to evaluate things game to game and be swayed.

I think Beck is quite average but certainly not stupid or incompetent (same goes for Bo, actually). Hopefully he loosens up and improves next year. Maybe Stanton will be that confident passer that he needs to do it.

• Fire 2

The thing to consider with play-calling is that if a play works, people love it. If a play doesn't work, people hate it. For example, let's say Beck had called a QB sneak in the shadow of our own end zone and we pick up a couple of yards at best. And then, in a strange twist, we screw up the punt or it gets blocked, leading directly to Georgia points. Everyone would have looked at that play and criticized Beck for not taking a bigger chance, considering we barely adjusted our on-the-field position and then failed to execute a punt.

And the shovel pass - what a fantastic call and it would have led to a first down, likely. Instead, Newby drops it. You could question why he was in there in the first place, but as awesome as Abdullah is, even he needs a break.

And people get frustrated about our lack of running sometimes - does anybody remember the drive we ran three straight times, failed to get a first down and punted? Execution was poor.

That said, there is an art to playcalling. You have to realize the situation and know your team's strengths. Overall, I think Beck called a decent game, but when players don't execute it doesn't really matter what you call.

• Fire 2

Probably shouldn't have singled you out, Dux. I think I was reacting to a couple years worth of posters who are convinced we could run at will if only our too-cute OC got out of the way.

The last thing I want is for this team to beco.e one dimensional. Beck caled a good game. Mixed it up and kept them guessing. The reason we were so impressive in victory was because we won at every level. ur coaches outcoached more experienced guys, our players outplayed SEC guys. We won the turnover battle and overcame bad field position. And a young defense held fogether at the end for the win.

Maybe Tim Beck made the right cal, maybe not. Not the call this guy wouldve made. To me, in crunch time like that, I go with the almost sure thing. Regardless of them defending the run A Double has moves to make olays, case in point Northwestern to keep us alive pre hail mary. But overall Beck kept it flowing well. No nonsense triple pass 3 and out drives. Complete win for both coordinators.