Why SEC Isn't As Great In Football As You Think

ladyhawke

It will be hard to change the perception until someone punches the bully in the nose a few times. FSU can do us all a favor in a few days. If not we'll get more of the same in 2014 and we'll like it.

I wish it would be Oregon or somebody else that would do it. Because even if FSU wins, it's still another "southern" school that won the NC. Might as well be the SEC.

It will be hard to change the perception until someone punches the bully in the nose a few times. FSU can do us all a favor in a few days. If not we'll get more of the same in 2014 and we'll like it.

I wish it would be Oregon or somebody else that would do it. Because even if FSU wins, it's still another "southern" school that won the NC. Might as well be the SEC.

Exactly right. Need a Stanford or tOSU to do it. In a pinch Oklaho.a could do it in Sugar. Since I picked Bama in my bowl picks, OUhas a real chance.

Just was watching ESPN for a minute in hopes of seeing a little Husker love. (I know) Saw the two morning idiots discuss how Johnny M had a bigger upside over Teddy B because JM played against much tougher competition in the SEC. It has already started for next year. They will be hanging on the ballsack of the SEC forever. Do us a favor Oklahoma!

Yet another article that talks about how much ESPN pays for SEC rights without a mention of how much it pays other conferences.

Show me the ESPN logo with Big Ten on it. Or the ESPN logo with ACC on it. Or the ESPN logo with Pac12 on it.

That doesn't address my point. Nor does it explain why they talked about the SEC before this was even envisioned, and while CBS was carrying the SEC's top game each week. That's all I've got to say. I know how most feel around here and I don't agree with a lot of it (and I do agree with some of it), but I'm not going to bang my head against a wall. I just think it's poor journalism to make a partial, misleading point about that TV contract.

Just was watching ESPN for a minute in hopes of seeing a little Husker love. (I know) Saw the two morning idiots discuss how Johnny M had a bigger upside over Teddy B because JM played against much tougher competition in the SEC. It has already started for next year. They will be hanging on the ballsack of the SEC forever. Do us a favor Oklahoma!

Agree - I'm an OU fan today. Living in Tulsa, I pull for Ok State but we need OU to win tonight. Regarding TM, the SEC hype secured him the Heisman last year. In watching the Duke/A&M game, you would think JM was a college football god. The announcers were ready to proclaim him as the best ever college QB. Yet, he has provided no conference or national championships to A&M. Tommie Frazier was the best college QB ever - the best QB fit for any offensive system. He was the best because of his leadership and for what he accomplished:

Tommie Frazier (1992-1995). 33-3 (91.7%) as a four year starter. 49% passer (250 of 509) (with 4,003 career passing yards, 47 touchdown passes and only 18 interceptions. Also rushed for 2,263 yards and 36 touchdowns. Led Nebraska to two national championships (1994, 1995), four conference titles, and four consecutive New Year Day bowl games. Named Most Valuable Player in three consecutive bowl games that decided the national championship (1993, 1994, and 1995). Three-time All Conference selection. Runner-up in 1995 Heisman Trophy balloting (The Fiesta Bowl proved he should have won the Heisman). 1995 first-team consensus All-American selection and Johnny Unitas Golden Arm award winner. Member of Sports Illustrated All-Century (1900-1999) team

Let me ask all of you this. Before the SEC won 7 straight championships, did ESPN ride them like they do now? I would say no.

Until there is a streak of other conferences winning the championships and winning the recruiting battles, etc. that will be the talk.

But that explains one team, not one conference.

In 2006, the SEC was 1-4 against the Big Ten. Yet they were saying already then that the SEC was the strongest conference

• Fire 1

The article hit's on reality and the sad state of college football, even if someone tried to pull such nonsense in college hoops the pretenders would at least get exposed in March madness, sadly there is no January madness for CF. Next year the sec hysteria will likely continue placing 4-5 of their teams in the top 10. Fortunately the tv ratings have been going down for the sport, and the so called Championship barely beats the college hoops finals in ratings. With many tuning out this mess, they may need to make changes.

Witness the record since the start of the BCS era in 1998:

SEC vs. PAC-12 regular season: 10-12

SEC vs. PAC-12 bowl games: 1-0

SEC vs. Big 12 regular season: 6-10

SEC vs. Big 12 bowl games: 21-8

SEC vs. ACC regular season: 42-36

SEC vs. ACC bowl games: 16-9

SEC vs. Big 10 regular season: 7-4

SEC vs. Big 10 bowl games: 19-19

SEC vs. Big East regular season: 16-15

SEC vs. Big East bowl game: 3-8

Slightly old data. (through 2011 season) But it shows the SEC doesn't dominate other conferences to the extent ESPN would have us believe. Are they the best conference? Yes. But the SEC isn't lapping the field.

• Fire 1