Lets see if the brass supports the coach and team.

I certainly wouldn't give Bo any more money or increase his buyout but should do an extension for the sake of recruiting. Also need to take care of assistants and keep up with the Joneses in terms of off-the-field staff. The plane-time thing is a recurring deal. We are far from the talent and the less time spent pissing around with commercial flights the better.

He's never been about what is best for Nebraska. He's always been about what is best for himself. He's very ego driven, two faced and power driven. Don't think for a minute he wasn't jealous of the fact TO was getting the credit for the B10 move. There is a reason his hire of SE was done the way it was.

Please elaborate and provide support for your position. Conjecture and supposition isn't proof.

Wow. Someone said something about the pot and kettle.....

I'm not the one making wild claims here (other than the obviously tongue-in-cheek comments about Bo's plane demands).

Wild claims? I don't see any wild claims. Da Skers has an excellent track record, as one of the most informed posters on here or any site for that matter. We're lucky he throws us a bone every once and ahwile and he doesn't rub it in act like he's better than us because he has connections, unlike HTO or FEW others with real inside info. Seriously can't believe he's getting this much flak for bringing info to the board.

• Fire 5

Offhand I'd say you're caring way too much about what other teams' fans think of our program and/or coach. Sports Illustrated and Fox do not push this agenda even remotely as much as ABC/ESPN. If you're basing that SI stance on articles you've read on their website, I'd suggest you go back and see if they were SI-generated articles or taken from the AP. If they're from the AP do some quick googling to find out who wrote it, and if it's from the local AP sports writer (which, in my experience, many are) you've got yet another very biased source.

I care how our team is perceived outside of Nebraska, because I live outside of Nebraska and all my college football interaction takes places outside of Nebraska. 9 times out of 10 that is going to be a non-Husker fan. You fortunately live in Lincoln, so your day-to-day perception is very different than mine. I am sure I'd have a different perspective if I lived there too. But, 4 years ago the conversations were very, very different for me. Today, it just sucks talking football with anyone outside of Nebraska. Despite what a number of Nebraska fans think, college football is bigger than the Huskers. I spend most of my Saturdays watching football. I'm a Husker fan, but I'm a college football fan as well. The conversation regarding Nebraska has deteriorated to the point it's almost toxic. I actually put Husker football right under politics and religion when at a bar now. You just get berated on behalf of Pelini, and while I defended him for a number of years...I quit about 2 months ago. So, my experience as a Husker fan has deteriorated some because of that. Actually a lot since that's a huge part of that fan experience for me. I'm not there for game-day every week, or walking the streets of Lincoln wearing red. My life as a Husker fan is different than yours.

(and Staples/Mandell are definately SI guys)

If you don't think their coverage makes the job easier or harder then you've not be listening to any of the things DB and Sharpe have been saying.

But if you think that media coverage is a significant factor in how the team plays on any given Saturday that's a more damning indictment of the coaching staff than it is of the media.

I don't think I've ever stated it change the way they played. I've maintained they want Bo fired and as such the OWH has covered the team in a negative light. It makes it tough to recruit. I think it makes it tougher to focus on football as a team. I've never said it lead to 5 turnovers.

If you don't think their coverage makes the job easier or harder then you've not be listening to any of the things DB and Sharpe have been saying.

But if you think that media coverage is a significant factor in how the team plays on any given Saturday that's a more damning indictment of the coaching staff than it is of the media.

I don't think I've ever stated it change the way they played. I've maintained they want Bo fired and as such the OWH has covered the team in a negative light. It makes it tough to recruit. I think it makes it tougher to focus on football as a team. I've never said it lead to 5 turnovers.

And that negative light hasn't been brought on Bo by his own on and off the field record? Are they making up things that he did?

I have a couple honest questions for you since you are a former journalist.

Do you really believe that the amount of media "pressure" is more here than other major programs across the nation?

Do you feel that maybe you place too much emphasis on the media scrutiny being that you come from that world and place a higher importance on it than the rest of the general public?

I can see the recruiting argument. If it makes it tough to focus on football that's a serious problem and not a problem on the media end.

Like anyone gives a f#*k what some random k state fan thinks. Come on man, you can come up with a better argument than that. That's terrible.

I don't expect you to give a f#*k, but I do. These are people that I highly respect. People I've watched games with for years. People that used to hold Nebraska in high regard. Just like our parents and grandparents thought of Oklahoma. (at least mine anyway) These aren't 25 year old kids that cuss Nebraska's name, they're adults that enjoy college football and the traditions and history that has been built between our programs. Not long ago there was little negative to say about Nebraska. Sure, a bad hire, some down years - but that happens everywhere. It's different this time around. I don't expect many to understand. You guys get to live inside the bubble. Must be nice :)

I care how our team is perceived outside of Nebraska, because I live outside of Nebraska and all my college football interaction takes places outside of Nebraska. 9 times out of 10 that is going to be a non-Husker fan. You fortunately live in Lincoln, so your day-to-day perception is very different than mine. I am sure I'd have a different perspective if I lived there too. But, 4 years ago the conversations were very, very different for me. Today, it just sucks talking football with anyone outside of Nebraska. Despite what a number of Nebraska fans think, college football is bigger than the Huskers. I spend most of my Saturdays watching football. I'm a Husker fan, but I'm a college football fan as well. The conversation regarding Nebraska has deteriorated to the point it's almost toxic. I actually put Husker football right under politics and religion when at a bar now. You just get berated on behalf of Pelini, and while I defended him for a number of years...I quit about 2 months ago. So, my experience as a Husker fan has deteriorated some because of that. Actually a lot since that's a huge part of that fan experience for me. I'm not there for game-day every week, or walking the streets of Lincoln wearing red. My life as a Husker fan is different than yours.

I think you care too much about what other fans think (who probably used to be rival fans). I live in the same city you do, I experience the same demographics of fans. I simply don't let other team's fan's opinions greatly alter mine. I'm guessing these KU/KSU/MU fans saw Bo Pelini yelling one time on ESPN and then the audio tape released two years later on ESPN. That is probably their entire basis for their opinion of the man as a coach. They project this opinion on you and you let it affect you. Do you ask Mizzou fans about their coach's DUI, philandering, and losing records? Do they call for his head because of kchusker_chris' opinions? Do we even have to ask KU fans what they think about their coach/program? C'mon man. You can have your opinions about Bo Pelini and the state of this program based on your observations, and I respect those. I would doubt these comments from your friends are unprovoked, do they know about your feelings about Bo? Letting other fans greatly affect your opinion of your own coach and using it to bolster your position is a weak argument.

He's never been about what is best for Nebraska. He's always been about what is best for himself. He's very ego driven, two faced and power driven. Don't think for a minute he wasn't jealous of the fact TO was getting the credit for the B10 move. There is a reason his hire of SE was done the way it was.

Please elaborate and provide support for your position. Conjecture and supposition isn't proof.

Wow. Someone said something about the pot and kettle.....

I'm not the one making wild claims here (other than the obviously tongue-in-cheek comments about Bo's plane demands).

Wild claims? I don't see any wild claims. Da Skers has an excellent track record, as one of the most informed posters on here or any site for that matter. We're lucky he throws us a bone every once and ahwile and he doesn't rub it in act like he's better than us because he has connections, unlike HTO or FEW others with real inside info. Seriously can't believe he's getting this much flak for bringing info to the board.

Its fine. Its all meant to bring up conversations. I will agree there is a lot more hate now days rather than people just having different opinions. This used to be Huskerboard where we talked about Husker sports (mostly football), the team, bone headed moves by coaches or players in a game, then we all ended up rooting for the team to improve. Now its becoming more like other free boards (I saw this start when Huskerpedia/HuskerMax lawsuits began flying) that I won't go to like the RRS because people want to see the huskers fail. There is another mostly private board out there and for the last 5 years they have beat to the drum that the average fan in sports is becoming dumber and dumber when it relates to expectations, reality and what s actually happening. The internet has given everyone a voice. No one wants to seem stupid so the majority repeat exactly what they are hearing in the media or on the forums they frequent. Thus they don't base a lot of the argument on what is really going on but what they think might be going on from what they think they heard (or where told from the guy before him who added his expert opinion) just like in a game of gossip. Hell I'm no different. My only advantage is that I often get to be the second person in the chain of gossip.

• Fire 3

These are people that I highly respect. People I've watched games with for years. People that used to hold Nebraska in high regard. Just like our parents and grandparents thought of Oklahoma. (at least mine anyway) These aren't 25 year old kids that cuss Nebraska's name, they're adults that enjoy college football and the traditions and history that has been built between our programs. Not long ago there was little negative to say about Nebraska.

Does it have to do with the fact we're not playing each other yearly and switched conferences OR Bo's antics? Let's be honest.

I "respected" KSU and Mizzou a lot more when we were playing them yearly and in the same conference. Now, I don't mind trying to downplay their accomplishments. :D

Can someone point me to a detailed article about this whole recruiting assistants situation? I know Bama has a ridiculous amount, but how do we compare to other BCS conference programs? And what is the issue with getting more approved? It's hard to see money being a big issue here since we are talking pretty reasonable salaries. We could up the ticket or donation price $1 and pay for 8-10 more with that revenue alone.

Like anyone gives a f#*k what some random k state fan thinks. Come on man, you can come up with a better argument than that. That's terrible.

I don't expect you to give a f#*k, but I do. These are people that I highly respect. People I've watched games with for years. People that used to hold Nebraska in high regard. Just like our parents and grandparents thought of Oklahoma. (at least mine anyway) These aren't 25 year old kids that cuss Nebraska's name, they're adults that enjoy college football and the traditions and history that has been built between our programs. Not long ago there was little negative to say about Nebraska. Sure, a bad hire, some down years - but that happens everywhere. It's different this time around. I don't expect many to understand. You guys get to live inside the bubble. Must be nice :)

Still a K-State fan so...........

And that negative light hasn't been brought on Bo by his own on and off the field record? Are they making up things that he did?

I think like anyone he's done things to hurt himself. I don't think hes got a pass on it though like many others have. Look at this relationship. Tell me whats different between the media and the coach. I've heard Dirk more than once state he'd do something like this for Bo as soon as he respects him as a reporter. Well...maybe it goes the other way first. It always did in the past and apparently other places. The problem is the media around here doesn't have a lot of integrity anymore.

http://www.pennlive.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/01/bill_obrien_the_outsider_arriv.html

I think like anyone he's done things to hurt himself. I don't think hes got a pass on it though like many others have. Look at this relationship. Tell me whats different between the media and the coach. I've heard Dirk more than once state he'd do something like this for Bo as soon as he respects him as a reporter. Well...maybe it goes the other way first. It always did in the past and apparently other places. The problem is the media around here doesn't have a lot of integrity anymore.

http://www.pennlive....ider_arriv.html

Bo has Sipple, and O'Brien has this reporter. I doubt every Penn St. reporter treated or would treat a coach the same way this person did. My point is, the media's job isn't to cover for Bo. It just isn't. They've not made anything up to tarnish Bo's reputation, the things they've reported on are things that he's done to himself.