RB Kendall Bussey Jr [Texas A&M - Signed LOI]

He hasn't given us any reason to call him unreliable.

He just visited another school immediately after reaffirming his commitment to us. He then says he's 100% committed at the same time he says he has to consider other options. That sounds like a reliable commitment to you?

I hope the guy sticks, but I'd be making back up plans if I'm the coaches.

He just visited another school immediately after reaffirming his commitment to us. He then says he's 100% committed at the same time he says he has to consider other options. That sounds like a reliable commitment to you?

Read HuskerFowler's post. It clears everything up.

Read HuskerFowler's post. It clears everything up.

And is 100% realistic with the fan reactions.

• Fire 1

Some of our fans and media have been calling for Bo's head for 4-5 years now. He's still here. Coaching staffs getting fired or leaving for another job is a fact of life in D1 football and is not unique to NU. It should definitely be taken into account when choosing a school. However, it doesn't change the definition of "commitment". If a kid is flirting with other schools, he is simply not "100%" and we need to be working on our own backup plan.

There was a radio guest on Sharp/Benning that made the point that HS coaches encourage commits to talk with other programs because it keeps college coaches staying in contact with high school program and helps expose teammates.

That's interesting. HS kids will look out for their teammates, so this makes sense. Plus the more people that come by feeds the egos of players and coaches. Makes sense, unfortunately.

Then you could end up playing a dangerous game of chicken when I don't think it's necessary. Busseys been told he's the only RB we will take in his class. If it gets out we are courting other RBs Bussey might not understand or care about the reasoning and seriously start looking around. Part of what I like about this staff is their openness with the recruits and the kind of character kids they bring in. There's nothing to hint that Bussey doesn't fall inline with the kind of high character kids Bo and staff have continually brought in. The only thing I think that could make Bussey change his mind on us would be our depth at the position and/or a coaching change. I completely agree with HuskerFowler in that as of now, this isn't anything to worry about.

If Pelini and the staff are smart, they are keeping a strong list of other RBs to be in contact with in case we lose Bussey's commitment. It doesn't mean we aren't committed to him.

If the AD is smart, he's got a list of coaching candidates already in case Pelini leaves or needs to be fired. It doesn't mean the AD isn't currently committed to Pelini.

If you are smart, you keep a look out for job opportunities that might be better than the one you have. It doesn't mean you aren't committed to your current job.

If Kendall Bussey Jr is smart, he is going to take a look at the opportunities that are available to him and take advantage of the only time in his life when he gets to make these visits and make such an important decision. It doesn't mean he's not coming to NU.

Just relax.

• Fire 3

I agree about the openness of our coaches. Part of that is the way we explain to the kids what a commitment means to both sides of the agreement. We can't consider him a commit and plan our class at his position around him if he's flirting with and visiting other schools.

I hope that he's done with recruiting now, but if he's not, then our coaches are obligated to keep other options open. It's not about playing chicken, it's about being clear and open about where each side stands.

Some of our fans and media have been calling for Bo's head for 4-5 years now. He's still here. Coaching staffs getting fired or leaving for another job is a fact of life in D1 football and is not unique to NU. It should definitely be taken into account when choosing a school. However, it doesn't change the definition of "commitment". If a kid is flirting with other schools, he is simply not "100%" and we need to be working on our own backup plan.

We have a kid just North of the SD border that is a pretty good back up plan if it would come to that.

There was a radio guest on Sharp/Benning that made the point that HS coaches encourage commits to talk with other programs because it keeps college coaches staying in contact with high school program and helps expose teammates.

Yes, the #2 basketball recruit who just committed the other day said one of the reasons he kept his recruitment open so long was to let the coaches coming through see his teammates.

He is 100% committed to our program as it exists right now. That is completely reasonable and fair, and it would be unreasonable to expect someone to be 100% committed to Nebraska in every scenario and circumstance that could possibly happen a year down the road.

Like if our entire university burned to the ground, would you still expect him to show up in August, get off the bus in front of the ashes and say, "I'm here to play football! 100% COMMITTED BABY!"