Mentality of coaching staff in recruiting changing?

I want to discuss the coaching staff not the recruit. Go here for discussion to discuss Slade's decommit http://www.huskerboard.com/index.php?/topic/66908-de-darius-slade-michigan-state-commit/

http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/index.ssf/2014/01/football_recruiting_darius_slade_de-commits_from_nebraska_cornhuskers.html

In the article, it mentioned Glade felt pressured into his decision to commit to Nebraska. This has gone against some members viewpoint that the UN staff is soft on the recruiting trail.

Is this a good sign or something to be careful of (possible pressuring recruits)?

"But at the same time, I was kind of pressured into that decision. And once I got a chance to come home, talk to my family – after I committed everything went silent. And that gave me my first chance to talk it over without feeling so pressured. And once I did that, I knew for a fact that I didn't want to be at Nebraska."

I'm not going to say this isn't how it happened but it certainly seems to be the outlier of reports we've heard. It seems more likely to me that they tried to tell him "we don't want you taking more visits" or something to that effect.

There have been several reports from other recruits that they wanted to commit on their visit but the coaches told them to go home, talk to their family, think about it for a couple days and make sure that's what they wanted to do. Personally, I like that approach more. It might cost us a guy or two here and there but overall I think that is a better way to do things.

I'm not going to say this isn't how it happened but it certainly seems to be the outlier of reports we've heard. It seems more likely to me that they tried to tell him "we don't want you taking more visits" or something to that effect.

There have been several reports from other recruits that they wanted to commit on their visit but the coaches told them to go home, talk to their family, think about it for a couple days and make sure that's what they wanted to do. Personally, I like that approach more. It might cost us a guy or two here and there but overall I think that is a better way to do things.

Now that I think about it I have read that several times. Good point

This is so hard to believe when you read the comments of other players who commit on campus. Darlington to be a perfect example.

Since the info I am getting is from a paid sight, I won't quote it directly, but Darlington himself states that Bo asked him if he was sure this is what he wanted to do. Basically Darlington told him he was 100% Husker and there is no doubt in his mind. This is why Bo honored his scholarship after the concussion.

It was pointed out in his thread as well, but he didn't commit on his visit. It was a couple of weeks later so he had a chance to go home and think about it.

Bo has shown time and time again that he wants kids that want to be here. He wants them to think it over good and hard and actually commit, by definition of the word. Kids on visits that aren't with immediate family are really encouraged to discuss their trip and thoughts upon returning home with their family.

This philosophy may hurt getting commits on officials but really cuts down on decommits as the process ends. I for one like this thought. Cuts down on kids getting caught up in the moment, committing and then going home and realizing they may have made a mistake

Just another situation when the things we hear don't seem to match the results. Either they pressure the kids, or they don't? Lots of things I don't understand from this staff, so I'm not surprised.

I will say this. The kid has a part of this too. Either you want to be here or you don't. If you are sketchy on it, then why commit? Then after de-committing, stating you " knew for a fact" you didn't want to be at Nebraska? Well, if it was so damn "factual", you knew for certain, then why again did you commit?

Strange situation. I also heard there were comments made by this player about wanti g to stay closer to home. Then in the same breath said Michigan State was on his final list of schools? Michigan State? Nebraska? Yep, huge difference in traveling distance there.

I think I remember commits having their scholarship offers pulled because they made a visit to another campus.

Whether you play a recruit with a hard sell or a soft sell, you run a risk either way. Press them for a commitment, and you will get commits that will change their mind when we're not in their ear. Soft play them, and you run the risk some recruits will think that the staff isn't "showing them the love". My feeling is that the latter is better than the former; if you press a recruit and he commits, you never can be sure why - was it due to the pressure or did he make a considered, thoughtful decision? If you go slow and easy, give them time to think, there is a better chance that the decision will be solid. You simply have to maintain the contact and let them know the level of interest.

Kids - who knows?

Now that I think about it I have read that several times. Good point

I agree.

These guys are getting hundreds of letters, asked every damn day in school by peers, newspapers, local coaches, etc etc etc.

I remember getting recruited to a D11 school and for about 2 months it was crazy. They call when your at dinner (no cell phones or Internet back In 95!), sittin around w your friends, doing homework, playing Tecmo bowl, and you feel obligated to at least chat w them and kinda tell em what they want to hear. I couldn't imagine a blitz of a D1 guy w a dozen offers and being big time. I can see where he felt pressure.

Once it cools off, his clear head told him different and that's fine. He can do whatever he wants. But we all know what we wish he had done :)

It's not like our DE Moss that we are actually losing or could lose, a player that has produced for us.

Next....

How the hell is Eric a mod? This idvthe dumhest thread ive ever seen. J/k. Actually this thread is very good. I think the staff has truly dhown a step up on recruiting finally realizing recruiting is gonna makr or break them. Ive always felt our staff has been too lax with recruits. Yes, you want yo give them room and make them feel nor pressured to make a decision too quick but especiaally after thry gommit you need to make them understand its not right to look around or take vidits imo.