College football players union

There's a lot more to this issue than monetary compensation. If a player is injured, especially seriously injured, because he/she is a "student athlete" (which is a legal term), he or she is not eligible for workman's comp to pay the medical costs. When an athlete is performing their sport, and the university is charging us, the fans, and the tv networks to watch them perform, they essentially become university employees. Not giving an athlete workman's comp for injuries as result of participating in a university sanctioned sporting event is b.s. and unfair.

The NLRA governs only private enterprises and does not apply to public universities. As a private university, Northwestern falls under its jurisdiction. Gerard said that based on labor law, any decision in favor of the players against Northwestern would apply to all private universities across the country in the FBS. It would not apply to public universities, which are governed by state laws.

From the original article, so for now if the players win it would only affect private schools like Notre Dame, USC, Boston College etc.

That makes me wonder if Northwestern runs the risk of getting booted from the BIG if this were to happen.

Money and wages will come in time but the first thing the players will want is a guarantee 4 year scholarship. 5 years if they are red-shirted,

Voice on team discipline.cost on traveling home to see the folks, Since they can not have a job maybe spending money for a sandwich, heath benefits during and after playing time is over

When coaches get more money then any employee at the university you would think the players should be given somethings.

But I'm against a set wage to play a sport.

A number of players have the scholarship pulled after injuries leaving no scholarship to finish school just tossed aside garbage.

NCAA could have prevented this by addressing problems that where unfair to student athletes but lot of coaches and big boosters could careless.

They really don't add anything to the conference other than academics. Could replace them with Northern Illinois sports wise and you wouldn't miss a beat. That would never happen though.

Northwestern has been in the Big Ten for 117 years. That's longer than any other college football team has belonged to any other conference in the nation. I don't think you could swap simply swap out NW with Norther Illinois and never miss a beat.

Here is what I don't understand. These players aren't forced to play a sport.

My daughter had a chance to play volleyball on college but she would have needed to walk on at a program. She chose not to because of the time it would take to be successful in volleyball would not allow her to commit to academics and earn money to pay for college.

Now, she loves playing volleyball, but, not enough to sacrifice what it would take to keep playing.

These kids can make the same decision. These kids obviously love playing football and they have the opportunity to play at the highest level possible as an amateur athlete and get an education at the same time. If they don't believe that pay off is good enough, then don't do it.

It's this simple. If the god damn free edumacation aint enough for your efforts, then just sit out and wait for 3 years after high school to enter the draft, since you dont need that education and all. There. Done. Settled.

Now that we got that 2-5 players on each team eliminated from the equation, now we can focus on the fact that the other 80 or so scholarship players DO need the education, and appreciate the fact that their football skills are earning them an education.

This is a crock of sh#t plain and simple. I honestly dont know anymore what's gonna end football sooner. Concussions or money.

• Fire 2