Stewart Mandel is not a Boliever

I’ve bugged you about Bo Pelini before, and at the end of the regular season you were of the opinion that Pelini should probably go (after his sideline show against Iowa). But if you look at these numbers, Pelini has placed himself among a small group of some very well-known and successful coaches. I and many other Huskers fans are looking forward to what he does this season and beyond. Do you think AD Shawn Eichorst was wrong in keeping him on board? Or do Pelini’s numbers warrant his staying?

– Michael Schultz, Curtis, Neb.

While I salute the writer for the immense research he undertook, his piece also shows the folly of historical numbers. So Pelini is one of only eight coaches to win nine games in each of his first five seasons? That’s admirable, but it omits the fact that Pelini coached 13, 14, 14, 13 and 14 games, respectively, in those years. By comparison, Barry Switzer, who the author cites as another member of that club, did so in two 11- and three 12-game campaigns. Pelini supporters love to bring up the fact that the revered Tom Osborne got off to a similar win-loss start in his eventual 25-year tenure. But again, he coached fewer games. The two starts are not remotely comparable. Osborne’s sixth Nebraska team finished No. 8 in the AP Poll, his fifth top-10 finish. Pelini’s sixth Cornhuskers squad finished unranked, and his highest finish to date is No. 14.

So, yes, I’m baffled as to how Pelini remains in charge in Lincoln, mostly because I can’t believe how far Nebraska’s standards have fallen. This is a program that once considered national titles and top-10 rankings as its birthrights. Now, the Cornhuskers are just tickled to beat an 8-4 SEC foe in the Gator Bowl. For this modest level of production, the school is also apparently willing to excuse Pelini’s very un-Nebraska-esque tirades. Just think about this for a second: Over the course of last season, Pelini A) was heard on a tape cursing out the entire fan base, and B) all but asked the school to fire him at his postgame press conference following a loss to Iowa. And yet, our undeterred reader is merely “looking forward to what [Pelini] does this season.” Nebraska, what the heck happened to you? You’re like a former supermodel now slumming it as a B-list actress. You can do better. But hey, I’m not complaining. The longer Pelini stays, the longer @FauxPelini stays relevant.

http://m.si.com/3828290/sizing-up-northwestern-players-attempt-to-unionize-more-mail/#ixzz2rp2OJ4sg

• Fire 2

The title of this thread is misleading. I've heard Stewart on local sports radio plenty and he has plenty of praise for Bo when the situation merits.

Stewart is selling clicks. He's going to get plenty of clicks hitting this beehive with a stick. And he's swinging away.

Also, because we've danced this dance before and we know what's expected here's the obligatory "If winning nine games a year is so easy, more coaches would do it."

Just will leave this here when the #9wins bugle sounds...

Alabama v. BCS opponents over past 6 years: 56-8

Oregon v. BCS opponents over the past 6 years: 57-10

Nebraska v. BCS opponents over the past 6 years: 39-24

Not all 9 win seasons are created equal.

But if it was so irrelevant, why dont more programs and/or coaches do it?

I'm seriously laughing out loud right now.

Just will leave this here when the #9wins bugle sounds...

Alabama v. BCS opponents over past 6 years: 56-8

Oregon v. BCS opponents over the past 6 years: 57-10

Nebraska v. BCS opponents over the past 6 years: 39-24

Not all 9 win seasons are created equal.

You are completely correct, that Oregon and Alabama have definitely looked better over the last 6 years than Nebraska. There is no arguing that, but again if it is such an insignificant event in your mind how come no more than 3 teams have done it?

I think the 9 win stuff is much more significant to the outside casual fan than to most Nebraska fans. When they hear that statistic they say, "Oh, I wouldn't have guessed Nebraska was the third team.".

I always get a bit sick to my stomach when people try to compare TO's first five or six years to Bo's. TO inherited one of the best teams and programs in the country. We were just one year removed from winning back to back titles. Bo inherited a dumpster fire. Sure, there was some talent inherited by Bo. However, there was also a loser attitude inherited as well. I have no problems with people comparing Bo's first few years to Bob Stoops as they both inherited similar situations. Bo did not inherit they keys to a ferrari like TO did. He inherited the keys to a ford pinto.

• Fire 2

I always get a bit sick to my stomach when people try to compare TO's first five or six years to Bo's. TO inherited one of the best teams and programs in the country. We were just one year removed from winning back to back titles. Bo inherited a dumpster fire. Sure, there was some talent inherited by Bo. However, there was also a loser attitude inherited as well. I have no problems with people comparing Bo's first few years to Bob Stoops as they both inherited similar situations. Bo did not inherit they keys to a ferrari like TO did. He inherited the keys to a ford pinto.

There was more NFL talent on that team than there is right now. Stop with that foolish argument. Bo inherited a very talented team that had quit on their coach. Dumpster fire teams don't have a top 3 draft pick playing DT for them, several starting NFL cornerbacks, a few NFL running backs and returning sr at QB