Marcus Smart Pushes Fan

Husker John

Not related to Zoogies comment: shame on everyone who jumped on this because they REALLY wanted to make this a race issue. Race trolls are the worst; shame, shame on you.

This.

I'm not in the slightest saying that there aren't racial issues in today's world. But when basically every potential controversy is instantly labeled "racism", I believe that hurts progress instead of helps it.

Why should anyone feel bad when Smart came out and said that the guy made a racist comment. Who really knows who's telling the truth and who's not or if Smart just heard something different in the heat of the moment. Also I don't expect anyone who would yell a racial epithet at a game to own up to it. Smart put it out there to begin with about what happened so no one was jumping any guns but just going by what the player said happened.

Serious question. Do you seriously believe the ridiculous stuff, such as this, that post or have you just been trolling the heck out of Huskerboard?

Who's to say I dont take offense to such much more than a black dude with the N word? Who's anybody to try and acknowledge any sort of difference from one to the other? From one person to another? I believe that is the whole problem. "Well, this isnt as offensive to them as it is to us". Sounds legit.

Okay, well do you?

Let me be clear that I don't support any prejudice remarks or slurs of any kind towards anyone ever. Even then, I'm not saying that you or anyone else as an individual might not be offended by it (although unscientific polls will tell you that, in general, white people aren't really seriously offended by the term); I'm saying that it doesn't have the same weight across the board. Here's an opinion piece on the subject, written in the aftermath of the Zimmerman/Martin incident, that I mostly agree with:

http://www.washingto...ry.html?hpid=z2

For those needing a refresher course, here are just a few reasons why cracker doesn’t compare to the N-word. Cracker has never been used routinely to:

●Deny a white person a seat at a lunch counter.

●Systematically deny whites the right to vote.

●Deny a white person a seat near the front of a bus.

●Crack the skulls of peaceful white protesters marching for equality.

●Blow up a church and kill four little white girls.

Need more? Didn’t think so.

Cracker may be a pejorative in some circles. It may even be used to insult a white person. But it clearly lacks the grievous, historical freight of the other.

I know that Lanlord. I've spent enough time on this board to know better. You dont have to explain yourself to me. And I see it as the same way. No, I'm not offended by it. But I have thick skin. Takes a lot to get to me. They're just words. But I'm just trying to make a point that racism can go both ways, and I think the sometimes the one direction gets a pass, and I just dont think that's right. But I cant stand it altogether, just like you. I didnt always see that way though. Up until abotu 5-6 years ago, I had some really racial tendancies. I'll be man enough to admit it. Guessing it was because of my rural type upbringing and such. Maybe it was a phase of my life when I had encountered some tough times and I went through a time where I was just pissed off at the world. i dont know. But it just came to a point where I was smart enough to just step back and realize how not wrong, but rather just plain stupid it all is. Being on this board so much and conversing with such a diverse collection of beliefs from politics to football to society has probably helped a lot too.

For what it's worth, I think this thread is pretty racist.

Is that because Wisconsin doesnt have any black people and you are confused?

Um no.

Ok, that actually isn't far from the truth. I can only remember one African American man ever having lived in my hometown (pop ~10,000). It is super white so you're right. Not sure Minnesota or Nebraska can really talk though.

For what it's worth, I think this thread is pretty racist.

Is that because Wisconsin doesnt have any black people and you are confused?

Um no.

Ok, that actually isn't far from the truth. I can only remember one African American man ever having lived in my hometown (pop ~10,000). It is super white so you're right. Not sure Minnesota or Nebraska can really talk though.

HEY NOW.. I think my graduating class had at least 3-4 African-americans.... out of 600.

So i obviously come from a more diverse place.......

Wow I was all for Smart on this but with the new video, its apparent that the fan did not use any racial slurs and for Smart to accuse this fan for using the N word is total bush league. I know that there are parts of the world where racism still exists but its false accusations like what Smart did that allows racial discrimination to continue as well.

Serious question. Do you seriously believe the ridiculous stuff, such as this, that post or have you just been trolling the heck out of Huskerboard?

Who's to say I dont take offense to such much more than a black dude with the N word? Who's anybody to try and acknowledge any sort of difference from one to the other? From one person to another? I believe that is the whole problem. "Well, this isnt as offensive to them as it is to us". Sounds legit.

Okay, well do you?

Let me be clear that I don't support any prejudice remarks or slurs of any kind towards anyone ever. Even then, I'm not saying that you or anyone else as an individual might not be offended by it (although unscientific polls will tell you that, in general, white people aren't really seriously offended by the term); I'm saying that it doesn't have the same weight across the board. Here's an opinion piece on the subject, written in the aftermath of the Zimmerman/Martin incident, that I mostly agree with:

http://www.washingto...ry.html?hpid=z2

For those needing a refresher course, here are just a few reasons why cracker doesn’t compare to the N-word. Cracker has never been used routinely to:

●Deny a white person a seat at a lunch counter.

●Systematically deny whites the right to vote.

●Deny a white person a seat near the front of a bus.

●Crack the skulls of peaceful white protesters marching for equality.

●Blow up a church and kill four little white girls.

Need more? Didn’t think so.

Cracker may be a pejorative in some circles. It may even be used to insult a white person. But it clearly lacks the grievous, historical freight of the other.

You never answered his question.