Marcus Smart Pushes Fan

Husker John

But Novelist is most likely right on the fact that had it been a fan of another race, and a white player in this same situation, the player would not be receiving a fraction of the support, if any at all. That's just the way it is. Fire away.

That's because being called 'cracker' or 'white boy' has about 1% the vitriol and established malice as being called the N word does.

Serious question. Do you seriously believe the ridiculous stuff, such as this, that post or have you just been trolling the heck out of Huskerboard?

• Fire 2

Texas Tech statement:

Jeff Orr Statement

"I would like to take this opportunity to offer my sincere apologies to Marcus Smart, Oklahoma State, Tubby Smith and the Texas Tech Men's Basketball program. My actions last night were inappropriate and do not reflect myself or Texas Tech - a university I love dearly. I regret calling Mr. Smart a "piece of crap" but I want to make it known that I did not use a racial slur of any kind. Additionally, I would like to offer my apologies to Texas Tech fans that have been embarrassed by the attention this incident has created."

But Novelist is most likely right on the fact that had it been a fan of another race, and a white player in this same situation, the player would not be receiving a fraction of the support, if any at all. That's just the way it is. Fire away.

That's because being called 'cracker' or 'white boy' has about 1% the vitriol and established malice as being called the N word does.

Prove it.

Who's to say I dont take offense to such much more than a black dude with the N word? Who's anybody to try and acknowledge any sort of difference from one to the other? From one person to another? I believe that is the whole problem. "Well, this isnt as offensive to them as it is to us". Sounds legit.

• Fire 1

Serious question. Do you seriously believe the ridiculous stuff, such as this, that post or have you just been trolling the heck out of Huskerboard?

Who's to say I dont take offense to such much more than a black dude with the N word? Who's anybody to try and acknowledge any sort of difference from one to the other? From one person to another? I believe that is the whole problem. "Well, this isnt as offensive to them as it is to us". Sounds legit.

Okay, well do you?

Let me be clear that I don't support any prejudice remarks or slurs of any kind towards anyone ever. Even then, I'm not saying that you or anyone else as an individual might not be offended by it (although unscientific polls will tell you that, in general, white people aren't really seriously offended by the term); I'm saying that it doesn't have the same weight across the board. Here's an opinion piece on the subject, written in the aftermath of the Zimmerman/Martin incident, that I mostly agree with:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/kathleen-parker-a-few-reasons-why-cracker-doesnt-compare-to-the-n-word/2013/06/28/93509d72-e024-11e2-963a-72d740e88c12_story.html?hpid=z2

For those needing a refresher course, here are just a few reasons why cracker doesn’t compare to the N-word. Cracker has never been used routinely to:

●Deny a white person a seat at a lunch counter.

●Systematically deny whites the right to vote.

●Deny a white person a seat near the front of a bus.

●Crack the skulls of peaceful white protesters marching for equality.

●Blow up a church and kill four little white girls.

Need more? Didn’t think so.

Cracker may be a pejorative in some circles. It may even be used to insult a white person. But it clearly lacks the grievous, historical freight of the other.

Obviously Smart is going to deserves whatever comes his way, but that fan sounds like a real terrible person. He should be barred (lifetime) from the venue. It's too bad how sports can bring out the bad in some people.

No. Calling someone a "piece of crap" isn't nice but does not deserve a permanent barring. Even in light of his other stupid activity, a perma-ban would not be justified.

Not related to Zoogies comment: shame on everyone who jumped on this because they REALLY wanted to make this a race issue. Race trolls are the worst; shame, shame on you.

• Fire 2

I am torn two ways with this situation. Am I upset about what Smart did? Not at all, but it wasn't warranted. The fan should feel like a complete moron and have his seats moved.

My problem is, Marcus Smart is an African-American athlete who plans on going to the next level. He should hold himself to a higher standard and not stoop to the level of that TT fan, or any fan for that matter. He will be a professional athlete if everything goes well for him, and he will be facing these same things there as well but could be worse due to alcohol consumption being in the arenas. Keep your composure kid, they aren't worth getting this kind of negative attention.

Okay, well do you?

Let me be clear that I don't support any prejudice remarks or slurs of any kind towards anyone ever. Even then, I'm not saying that you or anyone else as an individual might not be offended by it (although unscientific polls will tell you that, in general, white people aren't really seriously offended by the term); I'm saying that it doesn't have the same weight across the board. Here's an opinion piece on the subject, written in the aftermath of the Zimmerman/Martin incident, that I mostly agree with:

http://www.washingto...ry.html?hpid=z2

For those needing a refresher course, here are just a few reasons why cracker doesn’t compare to the N-word. Cracker has never been used routinely to:

●Deny a white person a seat at a lunch counter.

●Systematically deny whites the right to vote.

●Deny a white person a seat near the front of a bus.

●Crack the skulls of peaceful white protesters marching for equality.

●Blow up a church and kill four little white girls.

Need more? Didn’t think so.

Cracker may be a pejorative in some circles. It may even be used to insult a white person. But it clearly lacks the grievous, historical freight of the other.

The second that I take to heart the "opinion" of the upper-class, uber-privileged white woman who went to friggin Converse College on issues dealing with race is the second that I forfeited all of my dignity. Please try to make your own opinions, man.

• Fire 1