Former Nebraska Kicker Says He Was Openly Gay, Loved By Teammates

GSG

I read his statements, and unless I missed something, I don't recall RB saying that gays shouldn't have the same rights as the rest of us or that they shouldn't have access to certain rights that the rest of us have.

you missed something.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I recall that there was an attempt to get legislation in place to make it illegal for employers to discriminate based on sexual orientation. Ron wasn't saying they don't deserve the same right as everyone else. He was saying that they don't deserve "special" protection, which is exactly what the legislation would have been.

Here's a point that I think has been a little glossed over. I actually intended to make it earlier, but forgot. Brown's stance is that gays should not be afforded anti-discrimination protection by law, meaning gays should be able to be fired for being gay (that's the ordinance he testified against in Omaha a couple of years ago). It's not a huge leap, if you are a player, to think that your status on the football team could be terminated simply because you are gay.

Or perhaps he was just saying he didn't believe that it belonged in the same class as race, color, sex, age, etc. and you are making a pretty good leap.

Yea... Not really.

He was pretty explicitly clear. To protect homosexuals would be to take away rights of Christians. Being gay is a sin, and if you vote for the ordinance you are like Pilate and will have to atone to God.

If I recall correctly, opponents said that the language in that proposal was vague and ambiguous. They also argued (iirc) that gays were protected from discrimination by state law anyhow, thus this proposal was unnecessary because it was a duplicate, essentially.

I'm going to trust the man's word in saying that he feels homosexuality is a sin, but he still loves gays like anyone else. Until he states otherwise, I'm not going to concoct a "well, we know what he means"(wink, wink) stance just so that I can push an agenda.

Good day.

If you think that the agenda I'm pushing is that it is reasonable to think that a homosexual player might be uncomfortable around Ron Brown given his past statements... well... guilty. That's the argument I've been making the entire time. I'm not "interpreting" or reading anything into his comments at all. I'm taking them at face value, by the definitions of the words he used. He said those words, I did not.

Fair enough, maybe I lumped your statements in with others in which I sensed the "we know what he really meant" sentiment.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I recall that there was an attempt to get legislation in place to make it illegal for employers to discriminate based on sexual orientation. Ron wasn't saying they don't deserve the same right as everyone else. He was saying that they don't deserve "special" protection, which is exactly what the legislation would have been.

Yep. I think he was well intentioned but misguided on this one.

Yep. I think he was well intentioned but misguided on this one.

That's a pretty good button for this thread.

• Fire 1

They also argued (iirc) that gays were protected from discrimination by state law anyhow, thus this proposal was unnecessary because it was a duplicate, essentially.

This is not true. I don't want to harp on the "intellectual dishonesty" statement, but for someone who threw that argument into the conversation, it seems quite odd that a five-second google wasn't done before making this assertion.

NOTE - I presume you're talking about Nebraska state law. If there's another state being discussed, just ignore all this.

I've seen that as a common response to these sorts of proposed laws, even from lawmakers and council members, that they think discrimination of any sort is already illegal, so any additional legislation to protect upon the basis of sexual orientation is redundant. Well that's simply ignorant. Yet these same people will vote in favor of a law that definitively states that marriage can only be between a man and woman, a law that serves no purpose other than to discriminate against homosexuals. Talk about unnecessary.

• Fire 1

Ron essentially testified that anyone who voted for equal protection for homosexuals would be smited (smoten?) by God and could not be true Christians.

And the "special protection" argument is a steaming load of crap. This is about equality.

• Fire 5

Ron essentially testified that anyone who voted for equal protection for homosexuals would be smited (smoten?) by God and could not be true Christians.

Smote.

From the lowest dungeon to the highest peak, I fought him, the Balrog of Morgoth. Until at last I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountain side. Darkness took me, and I strayed out of thought and time...

• Fire 4

Smote.

From the lowest dungeon to the highest peak, I fought him, the Balrog of Morgoth. Until at last I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountain side. Darkness took me, and I strayed out of thought and time...

+1 for Lord of the Rings reference instead of actual definition.

Smote.

+1 for Lord of the Rings reference instead of actual definition.

Not just defined, but demonstrated!

And the "special protection" argument is a steaming load of crap. This is about equality.

Ron's beliefs are Ron's beliefs. But, I'm trying to understand your viewpoint. What glaring inequalities do homosexuals face?

What glaring inequalities do homosexuals face?

This can't be a serious question.

Can it?

I'll respond to your question with a few questions of my own:

Can someone legally be fired from their job due to their sexual orientation?

Can someone be denied housing due to their sexual orientation?

Can homosexuals get married to their romantic partners?