The Perfect Conference

The Perfect Conference  

74 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think 12 will always be the sweet spot for ideal conference numbers - it's a shame this won't last much longer.

I don't know what would actually be awesome in real life, but here's my playful answer:

Ultra Mega Conference

Terrorists Division

1.Texas

2.Miami

3.Missouri

4.Wisconsin

5.Colorado

6.K-State

Good Guys Division

7.Michigan

8.Michigan State

9.Virginia Tech

10.Florida State

11.Oklahoma

12.Iowa State

So you don't like watching Nebraska play?

Had to go with 14, had 12 of the all time greats, included LSU being a childhood favorite, and Oregon to even things out.

The class of College Football

No divisions, No non conference, play round robin with top four teams playing for NC.

Nebraska

Oklahoma

Alabama

Florida State

Georgia

Ohio State

Miami

Penn State

Michigan

Notre Dame

Texas

USC (Trojans of course)

LSU

Oregon (had to get to even #)

It wouldn't be long before all the talent ended up in this conference, with the winner possibly having 4 losses. How much fun would this conference be? 7 games a week pitting the best against the best. Going undefeated would have to have divine intervention.

I think we should have a super-conference with all the "elites", which would include teams that have won National Championships, and those teams would vote in any other teams to be part of that conference. It could be split into several divisions, with the NC's split equally through them.

• 2 years later...

Solid Poll! I didn't realize it was from 2 years ago and I voted. Well, here's a rundown of what the voted-on conference would look like:

12 teams was the favorite, so I'll include 11 plus Nebraska

in order of most-to-least votes:

Oklahoma 47

Wisconsin 45

Ohio State 44

Michigan 42

Missouri 40

Michigan State 36

Iowa 35

Penn State 33

Notre Dame 32

Kansas 28

Kansas State 27

didn't make the cut:

Iowa State 23

Colorado 19

Texas A&M 19

Minnesota 19

Northwestern 19

Texas 18

I posted this in another thread a while back, but I still like the idea. I say expand the B1G to 20 teams (yes 20), and split into four five-team divisions as follows:

WEST - Iowa, Kansas, Minnesota, Nebraska, Oklahoma

CENTRAL - Indiana, Illinois, Northwestern, Purdue, Wisconsin

NORTHEAST – Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Penn State, Rutgers

SOUTHEAST – Duke, Maryland, North Carolina, Vanderbilt/Georgia Tech, Virginia

*New members are in bold.

Each year on a rotating basis, the divisions pair up to form two “super divisions.” For example, in Year 1 the West and Central divisions would pair up, as would the Northeast and Southeast divisions. Then in Year 2, it would be the West and Southeast in one super division and the Central and Northeast in the other. The ten teams in each super division play the other teams in their respective super division round-robin style, for a total of nine conference games. The winners of each super division play in the Big Ten Championship game. Voila!

Still think there will be 4 super conferences soon. Especially if he big 12 folds. 16 in a conference, two divisions, championship game, then four champions to the playoff final. Are there truly more than 64 elite programs in the country?