Can Bo get it done

Can Bo get "it" done  

136 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Seem to be conflating NU football with Bo.

NU football is bigger than Bo. He's done good things, yes, including for NU football. He's also made an ass of himself publicly numerous times, which reflects poorly on NU football. The public perception of Bo cannot be a mystery, you guys...and it's one he's brought on himself. If it weren't an issue, there wouldn't be such a concerted effort to reverse it. And to that end, Bo's going to have to meet that media effort halfway. At least.

• Fire 2

It's no coincidence that the posters here who have a vastly negative view of the program "only hear bad things" about NU, while everyone else does not.

Saunders.. come on now, you are better than this.

If you have me in view (as I surmise you do for this is what context suggests) then you mis-characterize me. I have a very high view of NU's program --- not at all what could be called a vastly negative view of the program. I would imagine that everyone who takes time to post on this board has a very positive view of the program, loves the program, wants to see NU prosper and cares about the program. Why post if not because you you are a hardcore fan of NU. I am no different than you or others posting here in that sense.

I am a professor out of state and have many, many new students each semester that visit my office --- and in my office are Husker and Chicago Blackhawk items that often elicit comment from students. So, my office is a hockey and college football central of a sort. So I get many, many comments. Regarding NU, as I stated, most comments are negative and most (almost all) of those comments are centered on Bo. Hence the anecdotal testimony of my posts. For completeness sake, there are a few comments recently that are negative but not centered on Bo (but centered on Incognito). A couple years ago, Suh was part of the negative perspective too (though Suh comments are not that common for some reason now). The positive comments are about the fans, the "old days," and hopes that NU again becomes a power (as many fans, interestingly, think college football i general is a better place when historic powers like NU are competitive). So... it is what it is... just reporting what I hear.

• Fire 1

After my last post, Saunders edited and change to current state of the program. That is closer to the mark but I do not have a general sense of negativity towards the state of the program overall either --- just the coaching. I and others like me have stated (even in this thread) that wins/losses are not so much the point. I do wish the team played harder and with more focus and better fundamentals... but not really negative except on the coaches.

Seem to be conflating NU football with Bo.

NU football is bigger than Bo. He's done good things, yes, including for NU football. He's also made an ass of himself publicly numerous times, which reflects poorly on NU football. The public perception of Bo cannot be a mystery, you guys...and it's one he's brought on himself. If it weren't an issue, there wouldn't be such a concerted effort to reverse it. And to that end, Bo's going to have to meet that media effort halfway. At least.

+1

It's no coincidence that the posters here who have a vastly negative view of the state of the program "only hear bad things" about NU, while everyone else does not.

Confirmation bias.

bingo

Confirmation bias refers to the tendency to selectively search for and consider information that confirms one's beliefs. Everyone struggles with this... no matter what the predisposed position might be. I'd have to think at some level this will be true for Bo-leavers and Bo-lievers alike.

That said, the comments I hear are reported as I hear them... one might contend that I latch onto more fully those comments that I concur with... probably a little. But still, that NU's coach is negatively viewed and that this reality hurts NU's reputation is a fact that extends well beyond one man's anecdotal experience. Now ... those who fail to see how Bo impacts NU's reputation are perhaps expressing a conformation bias.

It's just a rule in general that people tend to give more weight to anything with a negative charge than anything with a positive charge. So, as a representative of an entity much bigger than himself, Bo has to do everything in his power to not give anyone a chance to think negatively of him.

Look at what Tim Miles has done in his two years here. Sure it helps that the expectations of Nebraska basketball are substantially lower than Nebraska football, although that gap is now narrowing from both sides. But Tim, I think, has a personality that lends itself to the creation of positive thoughts from outsiders. Bo does not, and that's something that's not going to change too much. There are people who are good with other people, and there are people who aren't good with other people, and that is subject to categorization. There are some people who are good with certain types of people but not other types of people. That, I think, is why we hear so much about how the players would run through a wall for Bo, yet he doesn't give us as fans any reason to do the same.

But I think a concerted effort is being made to change the outside perception of him. However, the true test will come in the fall. There will come a point in the season where the team isn't playing its best or very well at all, and Bo's going to be asked a stupid question at halftime. How he responds to that stupid question will indicate how much of a change he's really made.

• Fire 2

It's just a rule in general that people tend to give more weight to anything with a negative charge than anything with a positive charge. So, as a representative of an entity much bigger than himself, Bo has to do everything in his power to not give anyone a chance to think negatively of him.

Look at what Tim Miles has done in his two years here. Sure it helps that the expectations of Nebraska basketball are substantially lower than Nebraska football, although that gap is now narrowing from both sides. But Tim, I think, has a personality that lends itself to the creation of positive thoughts from outsiders. Bo does not, and that's something that's not going to change too much. There are people who are good with other people, and there are people who aren't good with other people, and that is subject to categorization. There are some people who are good with certain types of people but not other types of people. That, I think, is why we hear so much about how the players would run through a wall for Bo, yet he doesn't give us as fans any reason to do the same.

But I think a concerted effort is being made to change the outside perception of him. However, the true test will come in the fall. There will come a point in the season where the team isn't playing its best or very well at all, and Bo's going to be asked a stupid question at halftime. How he responds to that stupid question will indicate how much of a change he's really made.

well said.

It's no coincidence that the posters here who have a vastly negative view of the state of the program "only hear bad things" about NU, while everyone else does not.

Confirmation bias.

bingo

Confirmation bias refers to the tendency to selectively search for and consider information that confirms one's beliefs. Everyone struggles with this... no matter what the predisposed position might be. I'd have to think at some level this will be true for Bo-leavers and Bo-lievers alike.

That said, the comments I hear are reported as I hear them... one might contend that I latch onto more fully those comments that I concur with... probably a little. But still, that NU's coach is negatively viewed and that this reality hurts NU's reputation is a fact that extends well beyond one man's anecdotal experience. Now ... those who fail to see how Bo impacts NU's reputation are perhaps expressing a conformation bias.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhFZez6AiCM

Confirmation bias.

bingo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhFZez6AiCM

This is undoubtedly a wonderful thing, but is very odd we are like acting Bo Pelini and Nebraska are the only teams that do this. There are several foundations that pair ill kids and fans to athletic teams. Real Sports on HBO did a huge, very good story on this last year.

I would even go as far as to say that the next coach at Nebraska would likely do something like this. And if Bo Pelini jumps a reporters question or has another public tirade, no one is going to care about that clip much. Just like how they don't now.