The image of Nebraska athletics

Let's put this in perspective. Miles took the Mens BBall team to the big dance, but lost in the first round. There was no conference championship, we were abysmal in road games this year, and he just had three players leave/transfer from the program. I'm not discounting what Miles has done with the program, but in comparison, a similar season for the football program would be considered a complete and utter failure. The two programs simply cannot be compared to one another, apples and oranges.

I agree with the premise, it's hard to directly compare the two.

However, if the basketball program continues to succeed, it will become even harder to explain why the football program can't succeed too. Not that the current excuses are all that convincing in the first place.

• Fire 2

Let's put this in perspective. Miles took the Mens BBall team to the big dance, but lost in the first round. There was no conference championship, we were abysmal in road games this year, and he just had three players leave/transfer from the program. I'm not discounting what Miles has done with the program, but in comparison, a similar season for the football program would be considered a complete and utter failure. The two programs simply cannot be compared to one another, apples and oranges.

I agree with the premise, it's hard to directly compare the two.

However, if the basketball program continues to succeed, it will become even harder to explain why the football program can't succeed too. Not that the current excuses are all that convincing in the first place.

Especially considering that one of the first reasons WHY it's easier for Miles to recruit is, -cough- the facilities at his disposal.

• Fire 2

I think there's a lot of people tired of Bo. Count me in as one of those. I could care less what he does anymore and haven't for a long long time. I used to get excited about Nebraska football even in down years. I was excited at the possibilities when he first was announced as head coach. That excitement quickly waned and has never been even close to being the same since.

You can say what you want about the writer but I can tell you from first hand experience that there aren't many Bolievers in fact I've never met a single one here in Chicago and in Wisconsin where I travel a lot for work. The perception of him isn't pretty regardless of what he's 'really like' whatever that may be. Miles on the other hand is a different story and in my opinion the way he's come in and carried himself has been like a breath of fresh air.

So you were more of a supporter when we were having 7-5, 5-7 seasons, but not when we are winning 70%+ of our games? Makes total sense. Actually, what it seems like, you thought Bo was the almighty savior, turn this program into a powerhouse after one season and wins a national championship by now, since you know, ANYONE can win NC's and its so freaking easy. Count me shocked that your not a Bo supporter, I couldn't tell by all of your other posts. Seems to be the only time you come around, is when its about Bo. As far as your comment about not meeting one supporter of Bo in Chicago or Wisconsin, you either don't meet a lot, or your full of sh#t. I was just in Chicago and ran into some Husker fans, and just to leave it short, they were excited about the upcoming season and think Bo should get another season to show more "promise". As for Wisconsin, I have not been there as of late, but there are posters on here from there that don't have the same insight that your describing.

That whole f you fans debacle didn't help things either.

You people still get so butthurt over that?! LOL good gawd!

As for NUPolo, shocking that another Bo thread gets started. I am starting to think your trying to sell newspaper articles.

• Fire 1

NBo will NEVER be truly accepted by the entire fan base because of the constant comparison between him and TO.

So I guess everyone hates Rex Burkhead too right? Because he was pissed at the people who left early that game too.

Of course they don't silly because the source who has Rex's f you tirade to the fans that was caught on tape refused to release it.

smile-5.jpg

• Fire 1

I think there's a lot of people tired of Bo. Count me in as one of those. I could care less what he does anymore and haven't for a long long time. I used to get excited about Nebraska football even in down years. I was excited at the possibilities when he first was announced as head coach. That excitement quickly waned and has never been even close to being the same since.

You can say what you want about the writer but I can tell you from first hand experience that there aren't many Bolievers in fact I've never met a single one here in Chicago and in Wisconsin where I travel a lot for work. The perception of him isn't pretty regardless of what he's 'really like' whatever that may be. Miles on the other hand is a different story and in my opinion the way he's come in and carried himself has been like a breath of fresh air.

So you were more of a supporter when we were having 7-5, 5-7 seasons, but not when we are winning 70%+ of our games? Makes total sense. Actually, what it seems like, you thought Bo was the almighty savior, turn this program into a powerhouse after one season and wins a national championship by now, since you know, ANYONE can win NC's and its so freaking easy. Count me shocked that your not a Bo supporter, I couldn't tell by all of your other posts. Seems to be the only time you come around, is when its about Bo. As far as your comment about not meeting one supporter of Bo in Chicago or Wisconsin, you either don't meet a lot, or your full of sh#t. I was just in Chicago and ran into some Husker fans, and just to leave it short, they were excited about the upcoming season and think Bo should get another season to show more "promise". As for Wisconsin, I have not been there as of late, but there are posters on here from there that don't have the same insight that your describing.

As for NUPolo, shocking that another Bo thread gets started. I am starting to think your trying to sell newspaper articles.

Yep, it's the 'ol "here is something to read and think about for free" con

Yep, it's the 'ol "here is something to read and think about for free" con

Such a giving person.

I was fortunate to hear coach Miles on Basket ball and beyond the other night. A fantastic, interesting, funny, candid interview off the cuff. It is no wonder he wows the recruits and the University. Bo is a different kind of person no question. I have grown sick of the PR program, I must admit. It comes across as fake, staged and insulting. I want Bo to be better, but I do not want him shoved down my throat with angel dust.

Again as to his outbursts, I have heard General grade officers make similar comments in private. Thank God most do no attend military boot camps, their poor little ears would fall off. His comments really mean absolutely nothing to me. I am not a Bo fan, but this was a crappy deal for him.

He needs to improve his image, no question, but he needs to do it. No one truly buys the PR crap.

And I must be honest, I have not met a true Bobot in over 3 years. Only on this site. Most strangers think he is the worst a University could do for its face.

I do think he is a good guy, just needs a lot of work.

I get it guys, some of you don't like him. Personally as a man, I find myself respecting him more everyday I hear good things about him, but I still will admit I don't think he is that great of a football coach yet. I still think Nebraska may have made an error in hiring a first time inexperienced coach like Bo. Still, you have to give him credit for something at some point. Good lord, the guy doesn't do this PR campaign and all we would hear is how Bo is the bad guy who tries to hit refs in the face with a hat. Now we hear a few good stories coming out and it's a forced PR campaign? Come on, be fair. Maybe it's somewhere in the middle. Maybe Bo is evolving from a bit of a bad guy he started out as, but also, I think there's a lot of good things him and his players may have been doing in the past that we just weren't hearing about? a lot of us all along said that Bo just needs to put more positive things out there for people to see, just to alter his perception a bit. Does this mean Bo is doing MORE good things to boost his image? I say probably not. I think the University, or whomever, is just making some of these things more visible. The Team Jack effort also has been one of the coolest and prideful things I've seen Nebraska get involved with in a long time.

No doubt Bo needed to work on changing his perception a bit. He's doing it. Give the guy a chance. Even if his personal perception isn't your priority, then winning games will certainly make you a happy football fan, and honestly, I think if Bo can find some peace of mind and begin to feel a level of loyalty and comfort here, it will only help him and his team focus more on football and less on this outside negativity. So in the end, a fan of humanity, or a pure football fan, both sides could end up winning.

The vast minority has always stuck out. Their negative outlook on everything, never forgetting the bad moments, always forgetting the good. I for one am tired of the Bo bashing, the constant bickering between the real fans and the bandwagon jumpers, any thread they negative can come out does, and by the same posters.

1. The recruiting is developing nicely

2. The defense is coming of age after three yrs in B1G

3. The offense has a chance to be really good, we now have more than one QB. Taylor was a great athlete, and the only D1 QB on roster. Thank God for TM for the three years he bridged the gap with an empty cupboard.

4. The staff is gaining familiarity, seems to be better at recruiting as well.

5. Bo is still learning the position of HC, as do all HC's through-out their career.

6. Bo is not TO yet, so stop the comparsions

7. Bo is our coach, get behind him and stopped your whiny little ego mutterings, find the positive and become a real fan, otherwise we can do just fine without you.

8. If the real fans would just stop taking the bait on the negativity stated by the same posters, they would either go away or stop posting the negative opinions, no one continues to post without a response to their uneducated opinions.

9. Today's younger fan has been spoiled beyond recognition, the expectations are all mid 90's. Fwiw, to you younger fans, it was brutal going thru the late 50's early 60's, mid seventies, late 80's early 90's, and having that 10-0 record against a bunch of sisters of the poor, and lose the last two games of the season against good teams. I'm not even going to discuss the disappointments of the 00's.

10. We have a team on the upswing, talent is being upgraded, the coaches are becoming comfortable with their responsibilities, HEY, it's time to have fun again.

GBR

I call bullsh#t on #9, it wasn't easy mode back then as people like to claim. Teams often played other major conference schools in non con and not the piss poor teams we schedule today.

In Osborne’s first 20 seasons, he faced 72 teams that finished in the Top 20 — 3.6 per year. His record: 34-37-1. It’s a bit deceiving, though, because 25 of those (35 percent!) were against teams that finished in the Top-3. Osborne was 2-23 in those games. He was 32-14-1 against teams that finished ranked 4th-20th.

Pelini, in his first six seasons, faced 19 teams that finished (or currently stand) in the Top 20 — 3.2 per year. He’s 4-15. And only two games have come against Top-3 finishers.

http://sports.omaha.com/2013/11/20/mad-chatter-putting-in-perspective-early-struggles-osborne-v-pelini/

The vast minority has always stuck out. Their negative outlook on everything, never forgetting the bad moments, always forgetting the good. I for one am tired of the Bo bashing, the constant bickering between the real fans and the bandwagon jumpers, any thread they negative can come out does, and by the same posters.

3. The offense has a chance to be really good, we now have more than one QB. Taylor was a great athlete, and the only D1 QB on roster. Thank God for TM for the three years he bridged the gap with an empty cupboard.

5. Bo is still learning the position of HC, as do all HC's through-out their career.

7. Bo is our coach, get behind him and stopped your whiny little ego mutterings, find the positive and become a real fan, otherwise we can do just fine without you.

8. If the real fans would just stop taking the bait on the negativity stated by the same posters, they would either go away or stop posting the negative opinions, no one continues to post without a response to their uneducated opinions.

9. Today's younger fan has been spoiled beyond recognition, the expectations are all mid 90's. Fwiw, to you younger fans, it was brutal going thru the late 50's early 60's, mid seventies, late 80's early 90's, and having that 10-0 record against a bunch of sisters of the poor, and lose the last two games of the season against good teams. I'm not even going to discuss the abortion that happened in the 00's.

10. We have a team on the upswing, talent is being upgraded, the coaches are becoming comfortable with their responsibilities, HEY, it's time to have fun again.

GBR

1. Grading recruiting before they've played a down at a school is slightly less misguided then grading an nfl draft class a days after the draft concludes.

2. Considering we as fans knew Nebraska was moving to the Big Ten in June of 2010, I'm going to assume Bo knew before then. This was plenty of time to switch philosophy/recruiting to a different conference. And if. Nebraska truly has aspirations of competing nationally, I'm not sure why this change took three years to adapt to, other than incompetence.

3. At least we haven't heard that before. And who is to blame here for Taylor's three years? Taylor? Or the newly great recruiting staff that "couldn't put another d1 QB on the roster? It's not Taylor's fault his coach foolishly put all of his eggs in Bubba Starling's basket. Or this 4 star talent in Cody Green could never "get it". Heaven Forbid they coach these kids.

4. "Nebraska, where you get paid like you're elite to learn on the job. And if you don't learn, half the fanbase won't care!"

5. See #4

6. The standard defense to Bo is "TO needed time too". Seems like that crowd wants to do that comparison more.

7. The People of the Free Democratic Republic of North Korea appreciate this.

8. Please to explain how, if I am "negative", I am therefore uneducated. Because I don't agree with you?

9. Do you ever complain about your Restaurant service? Better not, because you are spoiled beyond recognition if you do. Do you even know how hard it was to eat in the 1930's?

10. Compare this team in 09 and 2010 to last season, no way can you say there was an improvement in any aspect.

• Fire 5

I call bullsh#t on #9, it wasn't easy mode back then as people like to claim. Teams often played other major conference schools in non con and not the piss poor teams we schedule today.

In Osborne’s first 20 seasons, he faced 72 teams that finished in the Top 20 — 3.6 per year. His record: 34-37-1. It’s a bit deceiving, though, because 25 of those (35 percent!) were against teams that finished in the Top-3. Osborne was 2-23 in those games. He was 32-14-1 against teams that finishe

9. Today's younger fan has been spoiled beyond recognition, the expectations are all mid 90's. Fwiw, to you younger fans, it was brutal going thru the late 50's early 60's, mid seventies, late 80's early 90's, and having that 10-0 record against a bunch of sisters of the poor, and lose the last two games of the season against good teams. I'm not even going to discuss the abortion that happened in the 00's.

GBR

1. Grading recruiting before they've played a down at a school is slightly less misguided then grading an nfl draft class a days after the draft concludes.

2. Considering we as fans knew Nebraska was moving to the Big Ten in June of 2010, I'm going to assume Bo knew before then. This was plenty of time to switch philosophy/recruiting to a different conference. And if. Nebraska truly has aspirations of competing nationally, I'm not sure why this change took three years to adapt to, other than incompetence.

3. At least we haven't heard that before. And who is to blame here for Taylor's three years? Taylor? Or the newly great recruiting staff that "couldn't put another d1 QB on the roster? It's not Taylor's fault his coach foolishly put all of his eggs in Bubba Starling's basket. Or this 4 star talent in Cody Green could never "get it". Heaven Forbid they coach these kids.

4. "Nebraska, where you get paid like you're elite to learn on the job. And if you don't learn, half the fanbase won't care!"

5. See #4

6. The standard defense to Bo is "TO needed time too". Seems like that crowd wants to do that comparison more.

7. The People of the Free Democratic Republic of North Korea appreciate this.

8. Please to explain how, if I am "negative", I am therefore uneducated. Because I don't agree with you?

9. Do you ever complain about your Restaurant service? Better not, because you are spoiled beyond recognition if you do. Do you even know how hard it was to eat in the 1930's?

10. Compare this team in 09 and 2010 to last season, no way can you say there was an improvement in any aspect.

d ranked 4th-20th.

Pelini, in his first six seasons, faced 19 teams that finished (or currently stand) in the Top 20 — 3.2 per year. He’s 4-15. And only two games have come against Top-3 finishers.

http://sports.omaha....borne-v-pelini/

Same old complaints, nothing new, you don't like Pelini that's obvious. Never intended to associate intelligence with neg comments. Yes, I have a good idea how hard things were in the 30's, My mother and father we young teens at the end of the 30's. You can point to 09/10, I'm referring to the classes Bo first brought in compared to the last two three. I'm not referring to the athletes that aren't even on campus, or even the redshirt freshman yet to play, If you can't see an improvement in the overall talent on both sides of the ball the past three season, then perhaps you need to step back and take a look from outside the box you're in. It amazes me the number of fans that forget so much, TM was the only option at QB if you recall, Green transferring knowing who couldn't unseat TM, another medical reason, you don't have to lose much to have an empty cupboard. I've mostly read and enjoyed the banter, I just needed to voice my opinion on the negativity on the board. A big part of that being you. I don't know how you take it. Your team is inferior talent wise, the staff is incompetent, we should be winning or at least competing for NC's... feel entitled much? You may want to consider reaching out to another team, one that can make you feel good on Saturday night and Sunday. By the way, Good luck with that. I don't want to get in a pissing contest, or show any disrespect to anyone. If I've offended you by my remarks, I sincerely regret doing so.

Let's have fun just following our team without all the BS..... Perhaps you're just one of those argumentative souls. GBR

I often wonder if people who get told that 8 x 4 doesn't actually equal 487 reply with. "Here we go with the same tired explanations"

Because your opinions are somehow facts?

My opinion that Nebraska could be performing better are based off of some facts, that unfortunately, some don't like hearing, yes.

• Fire 2

The talent is there. End of that discussion.

They were here last year, but hadn't played enough to know what they were doing out there yet. Now, they've played and practiced enough to know. If we expect players to be accountable for their actions, then the coaches should be accountable to. In my opinion, this season there are no excuses. None, zero, zip, zilch, nada. Will we win more than 9?