Phil Steele says no dice for Huskers in AP

Okay, did not have time to read the thing, was heading out the door. I do value his projections more than anyone else's, so was a little concerned. He normally is pretty spot on, and most of all fair I think.

Yeah, it also has louisville and North Carolina projected as top 25. NC i'm not bullish on, but I can see it. Lousville is going to be just short of a dumpster fire this year. Of all the podcasts that I've listened to doing previews, nobody thinks Louisville will do anything above 7 wins this year.

If Phil wants to be ahead of the pack he should predict the top 20 total schools not in any order. That is what the committee will be doing. Then they select their perceived top 4 from that pool of 20 at the end of the season.

Source? You are making it sound like they are picking 20 teams pre- or early season and the top 4 must come from those. Even if you didn't mean that, it sounds like their rankings will be ordered. http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/10723200/college-football-playoff-selection-committee-meets-makes-recommendations

• The committee members will meet in Dallas during the season to discuss and release their top 25 rankings. The rankings are expected to start in midseason, in October, but it's unknown after the initial rankings if it will be weekly or bi-weekly.

• The Top 25 rankings will consist only of the 25 teams. The committee will not disclose first-place votes or total number of poll points -- like the AP and coaches' polls do -- for each team. So, for instance, it will be unknown how close team No. 4 is from No. 5. How individual members voted also will not be revealed.

• The final poll, which determines the four playoff teams and other non-major bowl game pairings,will be released from Dallas. When that final poll is released -- either on the Saturday night after the final games are completed, or on Sunday -- is still to be determined.

it will work itself out fairly quickly. neb. wins its non-con and they will jump up drastically.

the only bad thing about preseason rankings is that it is so hard to knock the top teams down. they get so many bites at the apple. especially if they are losing to other highly ranked teams. so, the problem is that it ends up being self-referential, but generally teams end up where they should.

The problem with not starting in the preseason rankings, is no one will be talking about the team at all. When the various CFB shows start up, they focus the vast majority of their time on the Top 25. If you are outside, you come close to being non existent. Which for the team can work itself out, it can put a big hurt on the individual awards and whatnot that a guy like Ameer Abdullah should be getting. Hell, lack of preseason mention can kill post season awards.

I also think with as weak as our non-con is(2 mid-major types, a 1AA and a Miami that just lost the #1 QB to an ACL), even being 5-0 its likely going to be a 20-25 ranking at best. Unless they come out and just annihilate all of those 5, which history says is not going to happen.

The B1G is not a sexy conference, and the media isnt exactly in love with Nebraska these days either. With all the rimming they do of the SEC, there wont be much room in the top 25 for at least the first half of the season.

We've done nothing to prove we deserve to be ranked.

The same can be said for other teams.

Georgia is #11.

Ole Miss is #20.

Texas is #21.

UNC is #23. They went 7-6 last year.

Well, that's true. And now that you mention it, I'm pretty sure I made a similar point in another conversation a month or two ago.

Which goes back to the fact that preseason polls are stupid.

The problem with not starting in the preseason rankings, is no one will be talking about the team at all. When the various CFB shows start up, they focus the vast majority of their time on the Top 25. If you are outside, you come close to being non existent.

i think generally they only spend time on maybe 10 teams, if that. they are pretty lazy. neb. would have to be in the top ten to get much exposure.

Oh okay, being a prediction of the preseason AP Top 25 makes much more sense.

Georgia at #11, though? Somebody fill me in.

In order to get at least 2 and hopefully 3 SEC teams in the 4 team playoff, you need to have as many as possible ranked in the Top 15. This way when they start playing their "brutal" conference schedule(with their FCS creampuff in the middle) they won't drop as far for a loss.