Compensation

The only thing that I feel they need is continuous medical coverage. Kids get screwed up playing this game. The concussion deal is becoming more obvious, but kids that injure their backs, knees, hips and other major joints have problems getting and holding jobs.

That is where I draw he line on compensation. If you are injured on the field, or working to be on the field, the university/state owe you something (IMO) if it becomes necessary down the road.

Based on $80K a year in benefits, that is a $21,600 tax bill. That is based on 27% tax bracket because they probably wouldn't have any deductions. LOL

in theory, they'd be able to deduct almost 100% of their income. If you are considering their scholarship income, then you have to consider their payment of tuition as an expense.

Based on $80K a year in benefits, that is a $21,600 tax bill. That is based on 27% tax bracket because they probably wouldn't have any deductions. LOL

in theory, they'd be able to deduct almost 100% of their income. If you are considering their scholarship income, then you have to consider their payment of tuition as an expense.

Interesting.

It caps out at a certain amount... trust me I didn't get to claim as much as I paid in tuition for last year and ended up taking the standard deduction.

All that said, there are still a lot of instances reported of athletes being unable to pay for something as simple as food. A lot of times, where there's smoke, there's fire. I don't know how many of them are accurate. But, while I do think there's some sense of greed here among the athletes, I do think there are some struggling out there.

I often wonder how many of those guys that "go hungry" can afford still afford to pay for tattoos, going downtown in the off season, or that nice car they drive. If they don't have golden pants that is.

Only if you are considered self employed. Pretty sure the scholarship would be considered a salary benefit.

The use of out of state tuition rates for these comparisons is crap. If a graduate student is recruited to a university and made an employee they never pay out of state tuition. The model for this is already out there with graduate students. Make them part-time employees and give them a stipend (20K). Now they will have to pay tuition and fees, but it will be at in-state rates, and largely reduced. Technically they will pay taxes, but will get most back with deductions. They can take care of housing themselves or live in university housing for a reasonable rate.

Andrew Wiggins was worth 1.8 million dollars to KU this season. You think he should be happy with 40K? You mentioned 17 bucks an hour is good money. How much money is Bo making an hour? How about the AD?

And how much does "paying" the tuition of athletes really cost the university? Actual cost? It's not like they're going to cut a bunch of classes if they no longer have athletes. They're still going to have college algebra and history of western civilization. There will be a few less students, but those classes will still be offered.

• Fire 1

Andrew Wiggins was worth 1.8 million dollars to KU this season. You think he should be happy with 40K? You mentioned 17 bucks an hour is good money. How much money is Bo making an hour? How about the AD?

And how much does "paying" the tuition of athletes really cost the university? Actual cost? It's not like they're going to cut a bunch of classes if they no longer have athletes. They're still going to have college algebra and history of western civilization. There will be a few less students, but those classes will still be offered.

Your mistake is thinking that Andrew Wiggins received a value equivalent to 40k.

Your mistake is thinking that Andrew Wiggins received a value equivalent to 40k.

Even if the value he received was 100k it was nowhere the value he brought to the university.

Even if the value he received was 100k it was nowhere the value he brought to the university.

And my company makes more from my work than I get paid. Welcome to the world.

And Wiggins will get his payday, thanks to the exposure he received playing for Kansas.

Even disregarding the reality that it's impossible to quantify how much single individual players bring the university, welcome to the reality of every job ever in successful companies.

And my company makes more from my work than I get paid. Welcome to the world.

And Wiggins will get his payday, thanks to the exposure he received playing for Kansas.

Bingo. I make about 10% of what I save my company consistently each year. Such is life. Athletes shouldn't be immune to being screwed over like the rest of us.

The idea of college football was athletic competition between rival universities. Not to be a farm system for the NFL.

They get a stage to play the game, show their talents. If the money, education is not enough, then just work out on your own, forget college, get a job and hope you can open that NFL door in three years.

They take the easy way out, get an education, develop national relevance. Get money, free food, medical attention. If it is too tough on them, they could just pay their own way, not play the game, IE the main word in this F'n PLAY!!!!

The idea of college football was athletic competition between rival universities. Not to be a farm system for the NFL.

They get a stage to play the game, show their talents. If the money, education is not enough, then just work out on your own, forget college, get a job and hope you can open that NFL door in three years.

They take the easy way out, get an education, develop national relevance. Get money, free food, medical attention. If it is too tough on them, they could just pay their own way, not play the game, IE the main word in this F'n PLAY!!!!

Don't forget the free tutoring, housing stipend, and access to facilities that other students either can't access or have very limited access to (ie the weight room and training table).