Game of Thrones - Please no spoilers from ASOIAF

8 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

Lots of complaining about what is still the best show on TV.

Meh... It's losing it's touch. The writing in this last season is lacking. There are a hell of a lot great shows on TV now West World, The Handmaid's Tale, Narcos, Ozarks, Black Mirror. It's the Platinum age of TV. 

I didn't think the episode was too dark. It's a realistic night battle.i think you all just need better TVs :lol:. My 8 year old plasma was just fine for the detail. 

The whole Dothraki charge was stupid. Why would you waste one of your top 2 fighting units in a head-on suicide charge? They're fast and ruthless, but lightly armoured and armed. Use them to flank your enemy, or as a diversion to draw them away from points of weakness.

• Plus1 1
25 minutes ago, ZRod said:

Meh... It's losing it's touch. The writing in this last season is lacking. There are a hell of a lot great shows on TV now West World, The Handmaid's Tale, Narcos, Ozarks, Black Mirror. It's the Platinum age of TV. 

I didn't think the episode was too dark. It's a realistic night battle.i think you all just need better TVs :lol:. My 8 year old plasma was just fine for the detail. 

The whole Dothraki charge was stupid. Why would you waste one of your top 2 fighting units in a head-on suicide charge? They're fast and ruthless, but lightly armoured and armed. Use them to flank your enemy, or as a diversion to draw them away from points of weakness.

I'm not sure it's the writing as much as it is the severely shortened timeframe that they have to work with. But yeah, seasons 6, 7 & 8 have a different feel than the first five. I choose to blame whoever decided that they needed to get it wrapped up. Probably just came down to money. Production costs and increasing salaries. I think it would've been just fine if they kept going at the pace they were. I guess it really changed when they started sinking $'s into heavy CG work. And the 2 year delays between seasons wasn't doing anybody any favors. Still love the show though and imo it's still at a level beyond any of those others you mentioned (and I like all of those). Hard to believe it'll all be over after 3 more episodes.

• Plus1 1
14 hours ago, RedDenver said:

WARNING! I'm tired of using the spoiler block and there's a bunch of spoilers in here already, so stop reading this thread if you don't want spoilers.

I guess Bran no longer serves a useful purpose now that the Night King is dead. What a waste of a plotline they've been building since the very first scenes of season 1.

Spoiler

I'm sorry :)

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
17 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I'm not sure it's the writing as much as it is the severely shortened timeframe that they have to work with. But yeah, seasons 6, 7 & 8 have a different feel than the first five. I choose to blame whoever decided that they needed to get it wrapped up. Probably just came down to money. Production costs and increasing salaries. I think it would've been just fine if they kept going at the pace they were. I guess it really changed when they started sinking $'s into heavy CG work. And the 2 year delays between seasons wasn't doing anybody any favors. Still love the show though and imo it's still at a level beyond any of those others you mentioned (and I like all of those). Hard to believe it'll all be over after 3 more episodes.

This really should have been another 2 seasons. I don't know why they skipped last year. Hell if they had done the battle correctly it would have been a solid 2 episode affair. Instead it's half assed and makes almost no sense from a strategic perspective. Helms Deep kicks the Battle of Winterfell's a$$ in every way. It was cool to watch in the way that a Marvel movie is, but that's not what GOT is about. It's about gritty battles where your stupid mistakes have huge consequences. It's about people dieing unceremoniously and death playing not favorites. This was just another Hollywood piece, that doesn't fit the essence of the show.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

9 hours ago, ZRod said:

This really should have been another 2 seasons. I don't know why they skipped last year. Hell if they had done the battle correctly it would have been a solid 2 episode affair. Instead it's half assed and makes almost no sense from a strategic perspective. Helms Deep kicks the Battle of Winterfell's a$$ in every way. It was cool to watch in the way that a Marvel movie is, but that's not what GOT is about. It's about gritty battles where your stupid mistakes have huge consequences. It's about people dieing unceremoniously and death playing not favorites. This was just another Hollywood piece, that doesn't fit the essence of the show.

This is essentially where I am at. The end with Arya is awesome, and there are a few plot points that are cogent, but there are a bunch of set-ups to that moment that make little-to-no sense. Jon having virtually no part in ending the Night King bugs me the most; that was the most logical conclusion to his story arc, even with him being the new rightful King, and he was screaming at a dragon for no good reason. IMO, they should have at least shown him distracting the White Walkers while Arya snuck up on the Night King.

I'm also disappointed that the writers didn't take the opportunity to have a set and kill off more major characters. Jaime and Brienne's arcs had natural conclusions to them, and yet they are still alive. 

• Plus1 2
31 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

This is essentially where I am at. The end with Arya is awesome, and there are a few plot points that are cogent, but there are a bunch of set-ups to that moment that make little-to-no sense. Jon having virtually no part in ending the Night King bugs me the most; that was the most logical conclusion to his story arc, even with him being the new rightful King, and he was screaming at a dragon for no good reason. IMO, they should have at least shown him distracting the White Walkers while Arya snuck up on the Night King.

I'm also disappointed that the writers didn't take the opportunity to have a set and kill off more major characters. Jaime and Brienne's arcs had natural conclusions to them, and yet they are still alive. 

I agree with all this except I think the natural conclusions for Jamie and Brienne is yet to come. Having them die at the hands of the Night King or army of the dead is not what their arc has been about at all.

• Fire 1
6 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I agree with all this except I think the natural conclusions for Jamie and Brienne is yet to come. Having them die at the hands of the Night King or army of the dead is not what their arc has been about at all.

I came to that conclusion from the POV that Jaime is redeemed, and Brienne has finally been accepted as a knight. You're right though, they might have more to do. 

On 4/30/2019 at 10:31 PM, ZRod said:

Skipping a year was lame.

Stranger Things is another show that seems like has been off forever...I kind of already forgot where it even left off.

On 4/30/2019 at 10:31 PM, ZRod said:

I don't think they so much as "skipped it" but it just took a lot longer to film the episodes. They said it took 55 days to film episode 3. That's a big chunk of the year. (Which is kinda sad 'cause I agree on the battle not being great. Too hard to see, no idea where we were at any given time,  people about to die then we come back to them and they're still about to die).

But they could have had another season in between 6 and 7 or 7 and 8. Basically, it could've been 10 seasons easily. I kind of wonder if the actors wanted to be done with it though. Some of them were in it for 10 years. We don't know about behind the scenes stuff like that. It's frankly amazing that all of the mains made it through this far.

Some people are big mad about a "theory" going around that Jon Snow "technically" won the Battle of Winterfell because he distracted wight-Viserion and that allowed Arya to get to the Night King. Supposedly when he yells at wight-Viserion, he yells "GOOOOOOO!" to Arya :rolleyes:

3 hours ago, GSG said:

Some people are big mad about a "theory" going around that Jon Snow "technically" won the Battle of Winterfell because he distracted wight-Viserion and that allowed Arya to get to the Night King. Supposedly when he yells at wight-Viserion, he yells "GOOOOOOO!" to Arya :rolleyes:

Ya I read that yesterday too. 

Also read that the reason Bran did nothing was he was trying to lure the Night King to his location.