Game of Thrones - Please no spoilers from ASOIAF

9 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Brienne’s too proper for Tormund but she probably should’ve picked him instead of that dope Jaime. 

I'm still trying to figure out what exactly was accomplished with Jaime's arc the last couple of seasons, especially since they didn't bring the Valonqar portion of Maggy's prophesy into the show. 

I think they kept everyone pretty much true to character.

Dany going all mad queen and doing what she did was inevitable.

Sandor having to die to take out Gregor made complete sense.

Varys being killed for doing the right thing, totally in line with the series.

Cersei and Jamie dying together made some sense but it should've been a time where they tried to satisfy the viewers. Jamie redeeming himself only to return to Cersei is not a problem in itself, rather that it was just so hurried. But Cersei's character needed way more attention in the endgame and needed to go out another way.

But having said that, the last 2-3 seasons have been increasingly poor from a writing and execution standpoint. I hesitate to blame the writers as they were under ridiculous time constraints to wrap things up. But yeah, the result has been sloppy and hurried culminations. I can only think that given another 2-3 seasons they would've done a much better job.

I understand the production costs were rapidly escalating  but it seems like there should be a much better way to wrap up such a wildly successful series. I guess I don't fully understand how such a popular series cannot afford to finish in the quality fashion that was commonplace for the first four seasons. Those people have to realize what trash these last 2-3 seasons have turned into. It's disappointing.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

Just now, JJ Husker said:

But having said that, the last 2-3 seasons have been increasingly poor from a writing and execution standpoint. I hesitate to blame the writers as they were under ridiculous time constraints to wrap things up. But yeah, the result has been sloppy and hurried culminations. I can only think that given another 2-3 seasons they would've done a much better job.

I understand the production costs were rapidly escalating  but it seems like there should be a much better way to wrap up such a wildly successful series. I guess I don't fully understand how such a popular series cannot afford to finish in the quality fashion that was commonplace for the first four seasons. Those people have to realize what trash these last 2-3 seasons have turned into. It's disappointing.

These time constraints were self-imposed; HBO and GRRM both wanted 10 seasons, but D&D insisted on finishing it in a truncated 8. GRRM even stated in an interview last year that "the show would have to go 5 more years in order to match the books". 

What probably should have happened is D&D adapt the first five seasons, up until the end of the books, then pass it off to a new set of showrunners to finish. They probably even could have gone up until the reveal of R + L = J (which is how they got hired to adapt the show in the first place), then pass it off. 

• Plus1 1
27 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

These time constraints were self-imposed; HBO and GRRM both wanted 10 seasons, but D&D insisted on finishing it in a truncated 8. GRRM even stated in an interview last year that "the show would have to go 5 more years in order to match the books". 

If that's the case, HBO should have terminated the contract with D&D and gotten someone on board who would have done this right. It's easy to understand that this is where all of these characters would end up. What's hard to understand is the way they're getting there. I think everyone's biggest gripe is the obviously shortened version of everything. After eight years and more than 50 hours of show, it really needs more time.

• Plus1 2
10 minutes ago, knapplc said:

It's easy to understand that this is where all of these characters would end up. What's hard to understand is the way they're getting there. I think everyone's biggest gripe is the obviously shortened version of everything. After eight years and more than 50 hours of show, it really needs more time.

+1 Thanks for summing up what I'm trying to say better than I did.

3 hours ago, Dewiz said:

Mirri Maz Duur - A sorceress who lies and deceives Dany and kills her husband and child.

House of the Undying - Home of the Warlocks who hatch a conspiracy to kidnap Dany's dragons and herself

Astapor - She didn't burn Astapor, she burned the slavemasters of Astapor

Masters of Meereen - Crucifies slave masters, yes, after the slaves gave her the city

Vaes Dothrak - She didn't burn Vaes Dothrak, she burnt the Temple of the Dosh Khaleen where the khals and dosh khaleen were imprisoning her and about to sentence her to die or to live

a life in captivity?

Wagon train - of soldiers. in war.

All of that is, ya know, almost entirely different than slaughtering a million innocent civilians that 9 years of the show has shown us your character cares about and is coming to set free. Even when you don't post your own content your posts still have the same factually baseless 'gotcha' trollish content. 

All that aside, her descent into madness isn't the problem. HOW she descended into madness with no rhyme or reason so freaking suddenly is the problem. We all knew Anakin would fall to the dark side and we knew why. Doesn't mean that the prequels didn't do a horrendously pitiful job portraying it.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

30 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I love that so many people have a hard time believing that Dany could get so mad so fast and so evil...

Clearly lots of Game of Thrones fans have never actually talked to a girl.

Yes, I can't even count the number of times girls have gone on sudden genocidal killing sprees.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Cdog923 said:

Albert Burneko at Deadspin has a good take on how the show could have arrived at the same point, but in a much more satisfying way: 
"https://theconcourse.deadspin.com/a-better-way-game-of-thrones-could-have-arrived-at-this-1834720538

Yes, this gives a much better story in almost every way.

Spoiler

And gets rid of the stupidity of the plot hole where Euron's fleet kills a dragon, but the combined Red Keep and Euron's fleet can't even land a hit on the other dragon when they're stationary and expecting it.

• Plus1 1