Game of Thrones - Please no spoilers from ASOIAF

Spoiler

The last episode was pretty worthless. How the hell is an oversized javelin throwing machine going to sink a fleet of ships, much less take down a flying dragon from a quarter mile away??? Why were they even flying that close to King's landing? They had to be really close because they got there in a couple hours, and somebody txtd the forces back at the other place the bad news pretty quickly...

Literally every rule of this universe seems to have been tossed aside.

And Danny's Character arc took a hard turn rather quickly. I mean it makes sense, but they could have at least built it up a little more and shown her slowly losing herself rather than just all at once because everyone loves Jon and not me!

• Plus1 1

What a piece of s#!t that episode was. What s#!t character progression.

Dany has faced a lot of terrible s#!t and was still able to rule with compassion after all of that. And I'm supposed to believe she goes bats#!t crazy in a 3 episode span because she faces more controversy?  :facepalm:  She should have wanted to be a good queen for the friends she lost.

• Plus1 2

6 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

What a piece of s#!t that episode was. What s#!t character progression.

Hide contents

Dany has faced a lot of terrible s#!t and was still able to rule with compassion after all of that. And I'm supposed to believe she goes bats#!t crazy in a 3 episode span because she faces more controversy?  :facepalm:  She should have wanted to be a good queen for the friends she lost.

Spoiler

I didn't expect her to take the high road. They've been hinting at her going the route of the mad queen all along. And after the killing of Missande and all of Tyrion's pleas for mercy, I really expected her to burn Kings Landing to the ground  I think it was right in line with her character progression. Besides, I've had Jon pegged for the iron throne for quite awhile. This gives him a reason.

However, if that was in fact the end of Cersei, I am not impressed with how they get the rid of her. I understand having her and Jamie go together but that was just anticlimactic.  My favorite thing was when the Mountain ignored Cersei and turned on Cliborn. And it was a fitting end for the Clegane brothers.

• Fire 1
24 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Hide contents

I didn't expect her to take the high road. They've been hinting at her going the route of the mad queen all along. And after the killing of Missande and all of Tyrion's pleas for mercy, I really expected her to burn Kings Landing to the ground  I think it was right in line with her character progression. Besides, I've had Jon pegged for the iron throne for quite awhile. This gives him a reason.

However, if that was in fact the end of Cersei, I am not impressed with how they get the rid of her. I understand having her and Jamie go together but that was just anticlimactic.  My favorite thing was when the Mountain ignored Cersei and turned on Cliborn. And it was a fitting end for the Clegane brothers.

I'm okay with the idea of her going mad and doing what she did, I'm not okay at all with the lack of progression. There was no progression, it just happened. She's had terrible things happen to her multiple times and didn't react this way. We've seen her be a compassionate ruler before. That was her whole schtick. She freed the slaves and then tried to be fair when she was in charge. She's been sold, raped, had the love of her life die, been kidnapped mulitple times. It's the execution that I think was s#!t. It should have happened over a much longer period of time, not in 2.5-3 episodes.

• Plus1 1

The only great thing about that episode was Clegane Bowl.

Cereal and Jamie dying in a construction accident was awful. 

HATED the way Varys died. 

After Jamie kills King Aerys to prevent him from burning King's Landing down, his daughter does it anyway. 

Lots of this was stupid.

• Plus1 1
11 minutes ago, knapplc said:

The only great thing about that episode was Clegane Bowl.

Cereal and Jamie dying in a construction accident was awful. 

HATED the way Varys died. 

After Jamie kills King Aerys to prevent him from burning King's Landing down, his daughter does it anyway. 

Lots of this was stupid.

I didn't like the Clegane fight either.

The Mountain is still supposed to be human. It was absurd.

18 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

didn't expect her to take the high road. They've been hinting at her going the route of the mad queen all along. And after the killing of Missande and all of Tyrion's pleas for mercy, I really expected her to burn Kings Landing to the ground  I think it was right in line with her character progression.

That trajectory would be in line with her character progression. But that's not what we're talking about. We're talking about the execution of it, which was frankly unearned and amateur imo.

Dany went full dracaris (never go full dracaris) faster than Anakin Skywalker went full Sithhead. And for no ostensible reason or catalyzing force, other than the plot demanded it. 

Varys' and Sandor's deaths are the only ones that made any sense or were earned. Varys earned his death by being consistently his character (the episode prior he reminded Dany she made him promise to look her straight in the face and tell her if he thought she was making a mistake, and in this episode we're reminded that she promised if he ever betrayed her she'd burn him alive), and Clegane's was a little too on the nose symbolically but was still well done and meaningful.

This whole season's writing has been almost entirely trash imo. Still, I've loved the spectacle of the whole thing and the cinematography and production is absolutely magnificent.

• Plus1 3

I dont know whos decision it was to cut the last two seasons down to 7 and 6 episodes but it was a terrible decision. This is being rushed and none of it is making much sense to me. The long night should have ended last season at episode 10 and this season should have been a build up to what happened tonight, not over 1-2 episodes. I have a feeling next weeks finale will be terrible. 

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, Landlord said:

This whole season's writing has been almost entirely trash imo. Still, I've loved the spectacle of the whole thing and the cinematography and production is absolutely magnificent.

This. The first several seasons were really well done. This one is just rushed and the storytelling is gone, traded for grandiose scenes and loud noises.

30 minutes ago, Frott Scost said:

I dont know whos decision it was to cut the last two seasons down to 7 and 6 episodes but it was a terrible decision. This is being rushed and none of it is making much sense to me. The long night should have ended last season at episode 10 and this season should have been a build up to what happened tonight, not over 1-2 episodes. I have a feeling next weeks finale will be terrible. 

Ya. I argued with people after last season saying the pacing was fine, seeing as a lot of the characters were together and stuff could happen faster because of it. And because I didn't care about the fast travel. I care more about the characters than how they traveled 1,000 miles in 10 minutes. But the reduction in episodes seriously hurt this season when it comes to the characters. They needed a full 10 episodes to do Dany's character justice, and make it make sense, even if the same thing happened in the end. They're basically telling instead of showing. They're telling us to feel a certain way about things even though they require a huge leap. Some of the decisions they've made on how to end things have seemed logical, but showing how they got there has been bad.