BIG TEN RIVALS ( A work in progress... )

Obviously this isnt a rivalry yet. It takes a hell of alot longer than 3 years to build a rivalry. At this point Northwestern is more of a rival than Iowa. Nebraskans still see Iowa as a nuissance rather than a threat. Im not debating you about this.

What Im saying is that regardless of where it sits right now, Iowa COULD be a major rival for us. They have disliked us since the Big 8 days, probably longer. We now get to familiarize ourselves with them and start disliking them. The difference between them and Colorado is they fit the mold better as our rival. Colorado always felt awkward, plus they werent Oklahoma. Iowa can be a better series than the Buffs ever hoped to give us. Hell theyll be lucky to be fielding a damn team in a few years the rate theyre going.

You saying Iowa isnt awkward?

What isnt awkward about (gags. shivers.) Iowa?

This conversation is over.

This conversation is pointless. Youre too stubborn to accept Iowa as a rival now or in the future. I can accept them as one someday, and the fact I never lived in or near Iowa shouldnt have any bearing on my position.

Like it or not Iowa is already more of a rival than Colorado. At least we have a trophy in this game. All be it a forced trophy. But a trophy none the less.

Conversation now over.

Personally I would like to see the Iowa game played around Veterans day and the Wisconsin game on Black Friday. Even though Nebraska the last few years hasn't been a huge threat to Wisconsin, traditionally we have the biggest name in the West Division. Hopefully, Nebraska returns this year to being a threat to the top teams in the conference. To Me having Northwestern, Iowa, Minnesota, or any similar team as a rival is a joke... We have too much tradition for us to call them a rival (unless every team you play is a rival), atleast not the main rival. If it becomes the norm for us to barely compete with the lower half of the Big Ten and calling some of the lower half teams our rival, then it is time for Nebraska to look in a different direction.

• Fire 1

I would call Kansas a former rival. It wasn't in the traditional sense of rivalry, but we played for more than a 100 years in a row. They wanted to be like us in football and we wanted to be like them in basketball. More often than not, you knew the outcome in both sports before the game even started, but you held hope that you could get lucky this time.

I guess what I am saying more over was the tradition of playing them. In football, they never were at our caliber, but it meant something to both parties. Even in the early 90's, Kansas put together a couple great teams and still got their teeth knocked in when it came to playing us.

Just because a team doesn't have as big of a tradition doesn't mean a rivalry can be built. Sometimes it crosses multiple sports.

• Fire 1

Personally I would like to see the Iowa game played around Veterans day and the Wisconsin game on Black Friday. Even though Nebraska the last few years hasn't been a huge threat to Wisconsin, traditionally we have the biggest name in the West Division. Hopefully, Nebraska returns this year to being a threat to the top teams in the conference. To Me having Northwestern, Iowa, Minnesota, or any similar team as a rival is a joke... We have too much tradition for us to call them a rival (unless every team you play is a rival), atleast not the main rival. If it becomes the norm for us to barely compete with the lower half of the Big Ten and calling some of the lower half teams our rival, then it is time for Nebraska to look in a different direction.

There are conference rivals and then there is The Rival. But you got Big12 Northed twice, so you only have conference rivals now. Iowa and Wiscy are interchangeable solid conference opponents but they are never going to be national powers or an Oklahoma substitute.

There are conference rivals and then there is The Rival. But you got Big12 Northed twice, so you only have conference rivals now. Iowa and Wiscy are interchangeable solid conference opponents but they are never going to be national powers or an Oklahoma substitute.

Plus they see eachother as bigger rivals. Thats why the Northwestern and Penn State series had some real potential. Sure NW Has the Illini but who gives a crud about that game? They are pesky towards us and we crush them by winning at the last minute, great dramatic games 3 straight years. And who could walk away from NU vs PSU? Too damn good not too watch two legendary programs square off.

But for now its Iowa, series got a big time boost last year when they won. They hate us alot. I didnt really care for them but after attending last years game and seeing first hand how awful their fans can be Im really loking forward to the rematch this year. I predict in time Iowa could become a significant rival, they just have to keep up pace with Nebraska.

Plus they see eachother as bigger rivals. Thats why the Northwestern and Penn State series had some real potential. Sure NW Has the Illini but who gives a crud about that game? They are pesky towards us and we crush them by winning at the last minute, great dramatic games 3 straight years. And who could walk away from NU vs PSU? .

Jim Delaney apparently, NU-PSU was forced rivalry that at least made sense due to the history.

Plus they see eachother as bigger rivals. Thats why the Northwestern and Penn State series had some real potential. Sure NW Has the Illini but who gives a crud about that game? They are pesky towards us and we crush them by winning at the last minute, great dramatic games 3 straight years. And who could walk away from NU vs PSU? .

Jim Delaney apparently, NU-PSU was forced rivalry that at least made sense due to the history.
We were the first game after JoePa.

Then the fumble/touchdown drama.

OT field goals.

What part of any of that was forced?

Add in the 80's and 90's title disputes and you have a good start.

Trying to force a rival is silly. We truly have never had a rival. Oklahoma, was what we called a rivalry, but Oklahoma did not feel that way about. More a game of respect, two similar programs. Texas was and always will be Oklahoma's rival.

Let time develop one, I could care less about made up trophies to claim a rival. I do not care about a rival in the Big10. If we develop one fine, I would say other than Oklahoma, Miami, FSU and possibly Penn State are as close as it comes to a rivalry. But my guess is that if one develops it will be with Wisconsin. They are growing more powerful as we seem to just be moving along.

As I've said before, it sucks to be around all these Iowa fans. They constantly run their frigging mouths! "Hey, why don't you go back to Nebraska?!" Probably cause I never lived there a-hole, but I hate Iowa enough I completely left the state mentally to become a fan of another team! I hate the Iowa Hawkeyes and have zero respect for them.................

Here is this Badger fan's take:

We don't want or care about you.

Now go back outside and play with PSU, Maryland and Rutgers. Or the Big XII. :laughpound

We might take this post a little more seriously if your avatar wasn't such a mix of awfulness.

You know whats sadder than a forced Nebraska vs Iowa rivalry? Wisconsin WANTING to be rivals with Iowa.

I hate to say it, but in the long term, it is going to have to be Iowa for you guys. It is not there yet, but it is your only option that truly has any of the ingredients.

1.) The school, in my opinion, must be in a contiguous State. Check.

2.) The school must not already have a mutually agreed upon primary rival. While Iowa may identify Wisconsin or Minnesota as their primary rival at any given year, they are always technically a 3rd wheel to the obvious Wisconsin/Minnesota.

It may take a few years or decades, but the neat thing is that the ingredients are there and you are not left without even a candidate (like Penn State or MSU). You have a neighbor that lacks a true bilateral rivalry. Here are the rest of the true pairings in my opinion:

Iowa vs Nebraska
Minnesota vs Wisconsin

Illinois vs Northwestern

Purdue vs Indiana

Michigan vs Ohio State

Penn State very much wanted Pitt to join to conference to address their long grievance of not having any natural rival. They feel like I'm sure you feel right now about wanting U of OK. They may eventually pick either Maryland or Rutgers as a paring, but they have always been awkwardly forced into a rivalry with MSU.

In the Big 12, Oklahoma and Texas were our biggest rivals, neither border Nebraska. In-state or contiguous state rivalries may allow for an early rivalry to be established, due to shear proximity of fanbases. However, it is far from what really matters, which is being the dagger to a team's season. So far Wisky has proven to be that for the Huskers. If that continues, or begins to be reciprocated, a rivalry will grow naturally.