Scanning magazines: What do they say about the Huskers?

I think after reading all this the point about the injuries is being missed. Us sunshine pumpers are not using the injuries as an excuse for the 4 losses. At least myself anyways, believe that we'd a lost 4 games last year anyway. It's just the way the cards were gonna fall after seeing the inexpereince rear its ugly face against Wyoming and UCLA. But what we're saying is that due to the injuries, this team deserves a lot of credit for still finding a way to win 9 game and maintain a status quo. Sure it's depressing and the patience is starting to run really really thin, but god damn it, step back off the ledge and look at things with some frickin perspective for a change. Teams like Florida had injury problems and finished with 4 wins. Georgia went from a preseason NC to 8-5. We basically just went about business as usual and still found a way to win as many games as we have been. Now, what does that mean for 2014? Not a damn thing, cuz I'm the first to say that if some pretty basic fundamental issues of football that this program has had issues with over the past 6 seasons are not fixed, we're again gonna see 9/10-4. But that's no reason to discredit what a whole sh#t ton of young, inexperienced, and yes, I'll say it, in places undertalented, players busted their ass to accomplish last season.

• Fire 2

But what we're saying is that due to the injuries, this team deserves a lot of credit for still finding a way to win 9 game and maintain a status quo.

Or it shows Martinez wasn't as indispensable as a lot of people wanted to believe.

By my perspective if you leave everything else exactly the same but plug in a healthy Martinez we automatically get two more wins against UCLA and Minnesota.

But what we're saying is that due to the injuries, this team deserves a lot of credit for still finding a way to win 9 game and maintain a status quo.

Or it shows Martinez wasn't as indispensable as a lot of people wanted to believe.

By my perspective if you leave everything else exactly the same but plug in a healthy Martinez we automatically get two more wins against UCLA and Minnesota.

UCLA, i dont know. At that early point in the season and our young defense, once they turned it on, it was dun. I'm not sure a healty and running Martinez could lead us to enough points in that game. Sure we can say we coulda scored 42, but I also feel that they coulda scored a hell of a lot more had they wanted/needed too.

But I have no problem chalking up a win against Minnesota. I'll also throw in a win against Michigan St. I think his experience and added ground ability wouldve limited 3-4 of our 5 turnovers and consequentially more than cut their points in half. Probably beat Iowa as well.

Again, this is healthy Taylor Martinez. 2012 Taylor Martinez. You have to remember how he sliced around and through some of those defenses two seasons ago.

UCLA, i dont know. At that early point in the season and our young defense, once they turned it on, it was dun. I'm not sure a healty and running Martinez could lead us to enough points in that game. Sure we can say we coulda scored 42, but I also feel that they coulda scored a hell of a lot more had they wanted/needed too.

But I have no problem chalking up a win against Minnesota. I'll also throw in a win against Michigan St. I think his experience and added ground ability wouldve limited 3-4 of our 5 turnovers and consequentially more than cut their points in half. Probably beat Iowa as well.

Again, this is healthy Taylor Martinez. 2012 Taylor Martinez. You have to remember how he sliced around and through some of those defenses two seasons ago.

A humongous reason for UCLA even scoring 41 points in the first place is our offense going 3 and out on like 7 straight drives or something.

But the schedule sucked. At least, that's what I've been told.

1. Enough of the offense was injured that I will generalize by calling it 2nd string, it seemed to be the consensus back in Dec/Jan here (do a search).

2. Taking into consideration the crappy field conditions and who was playing on offense? Yes I think scoring 24 points and getting 300 yards on a stout SEC defense with the team we had was a pretty good performance.

Georgia was 45th in the country in total defense, allowing 375 yards per game. (Nebraska was 40th) Georgia was 78th in the country in scoring defense, allowing 29 points per game. (Nebraska was 50th) Is that a stout defense? I'd call that average to below average.

But paaaaawwwwwwlllllllllllll said they were in the SEC, so they're automagically elite.

paul-finebaum.png

A humongous reason for UCLA even scoring 41 points in the first place is our offense going 3 and out on like 7 straight drives or something.

Which was a adjustment once they realized Taylor wasn't exactly Taylor.

Which makes me wonder the thinking behind crippling an offense and thereby exposing a defense you're pretty sure may be suspect.

Goddamn there were some decisions last year that made no sense.

Which makes me wonder the thinking behind crippling an offense and thereby exposing a defense you're pretty sure may be suspect.

It's easy to say that they don't make sense, but some of the decisions made weren't really in an ideal situation anyway. I really think Pelini took a 6+ loss team and turned it into something salvageable. But that's just my opinion.

I would speculate that a big factor in the decision was that we had a redshirt freshman as a backup who really hadn't played, was basically as likely to throw an INT as a TD and has fumble issues of his own. Lesser of two evils and everything. Knowing what we know now - that Martinez wouldn't end up getting better the entire season - it doesn't make as much sense. But trying to win a big game at home with your four-year starter - even if slowed by injury - didn't look really bad at the time.

• Fire 2

Hind sight tells us that the kid was never ready to play this year. But we kept marching him out and there, and most likely do to the stubbornness of both, have destroyed any chance he may have had to play the game at the next level.

We have highly paid people to know who is ready, who has an injury and the degree of that injury. The lack of concern for said injuries is what put this program in the situation it was in, and it went on the kids whole tour here.

Management of players and the whole roster have not been strong points the last few years. Hopefully that improves.

Hind sight tells us that the kid was never ready to play this year. But we kept marching him out and there, and most likely do to the stubbornness of both, have destroyed any chance he may have had to play the game at the next level.

We have highly paid people to know who is ready, who has an injury and the degree of that injury. The lack of concern for said injuries is what put this program in the situation it was in, and it went on the kids whole tour here.

Management of players and the whole roster have not been strong points the last few years. Hopefully that improves.

I heard from somebody that the training staff had a fun night out on the town before the Minnesota game and without actually checking confirmed to the staff that Taylor was good to go.

No idea how accurate it would be or if I'm mixing up details but hooray for anecdotes.

That's not really fair. When a player is injured part of getting them back on the field is the player being honest and truthful with how they are progressing to being well. If a kid tells you he is good to go you have to take that into account. Players play at less than 100% all the time, and not just at Nebraska.

TM supposedly hurt the foot during the Wyoming game. Well he didn't look too bad playing in the next game leading up to UCLA and he really didn't look too bad in the first part of the UCLA game. Most likely he hurt it worse during the UCLA game. I believe that was the first time he was seen in the walking boot.

When he came back and played in the Minnesota game he obviously had practiced that week and had to have looked at least somewhat recovered.

As a freshman he probably shouldn't have been playing.