Eric Crouch would very much like a championship, thank you very much.

Just to be clear, failing to achieve this expectation this season is reason enough to fire Bo Pelini.

That's the only reason for Crouch coming out with a "kinda unacceptable" quote, and the only reason for promoting it on this thread.

I'm betting most people who demand this level of expectation do not expect Nebraska to win the Big 10 this season and want to make sure we've established the baseline for Pelini's firing.

But most of us don't need Eric Crouch to tell us that winning the Conference Championship would be a big step forward.

Just to be clear, failing to achieve this expectation this season is reason enough to fire Bo Pelini.

That's the only reason for Crouch coming out with a "kinda unacceptable" quote, and the only reason for promoting it on this thread.

I'm betting most people who demand this level of expectation do not expect Nebraska to win the Big 10 this season and want to make sure we've established the baseline for Pelini's firing.

But most of us don't need Eric Crouch to tell us that winning the Conference Championship would be a big step forward.

I'm okay with this being the benchmark for the season. Bo has got us to the CCG every other year, and winning the championship would be the breakthrough that everyone has been waiting for. This would also get us over the 9-10 win (4 loss) hump. Now, if they don't win the CCG this season, I don't see it as a reason to fire Bo, as I see the uptick in recruiting that is occurring as Bo putting this program on a hot track for success.

• Fire 1

I'm okay with this being the benchmark for the season. Bo has got us to the CCG every other year, and winning the championship would be the breakthrough that everyone has been waiting for. This would also get us over the 9-10 win (4 loss) hump. Now, if they don't win the CCG this season, I don't see it as a reason to fire Bo, as I see the uptick in recruiting that is occurring as Bo putting this program on a hot track for success.

What are you guys talking about really here?

The expectations you are referring too "that must happen this year" are the expectations that most Husker fans have every year period! There is no revelation in this thread thus the only thing that is being stated is that Crouch has these expectations and some of you guys assumptions that if it does not happen it will give cause for Bo's firing, which I say is a reach.

• Fire 1

You can't base it just on winning a championship. Wisconsin backed into a championship after losing half their games because the two teams ahead of them were ineligible (I can't remember who they played in the CCG though), but it's also not unheard of for a team to go 11-1 but not win their division.

We have to look at the entire season and all of the related factors before we determine success vs. failure, or improvement vs. stagnation. A single benchmark should not determine if a coach gets fired or retained.

If we go 10-2 but miss the CCG and win the bowl game, with improved turnover margins and special teams, I think most of us will be happy with the direction we are headed, even if some of us aren't necessarily big fans of Pelini.

If we happen back into a CCG even after several losses, and win a sloppy game based on bad officiating and proceed to get blown out of the Rose Bowl, I'm not sure if many of us would feel all that much better about the program's future, even though the conference trophy would be a nice consolation. There's more to it than an individual game or an individual goal.

Besides, after Bo's shenanigans of 2013, I'm not sure that he will ever get fired, no matter how many CCGs we do or don't win.

• Fire 2

The expectations you are referring too "that must happen this year" are the expectations that most Husker fans have every year period! There is no revelation in this thread thus the only thing that is being stated is that Crouch has these expectations and some of you guys assumptions that if it does not happen it will give cause for Bo's firing, which I say is a reach.

Agreed......certainly no revelation in this thread. Just unfounded speculation.

You can't base it just on winning a championship. Wisconsin backed into a championship after losing half their games because the two teams ahead of them were ineligible (I can't remember who they played in the CCG though), but it's also not unheard of for a team to go 11-1 but not win their division.

We have to look at the entire season and all of the related factors before we determine success vs. failure, or improvement vs. stagnation. A single benchmark should not determine if a coach gets fired or retained.

If we go 10-2 but miss the CCG and win the bowl game, with improved turnover margins and special teams, I think most of us will be happy with the direction we are headed, even if some of us aren't necessarily big fans of Pelini.

If we happen back into a CCG even after several losses, and win a sloppy game based on bad officiating and proceed to get blown out of the Rose Bowl, I'm not sure if many of us would feel all that much better about the program's future, even though the conference trophy would be a nice consolation. There's more to it than an individual game or an individual goal.

Besides, after Bo's shenanigans of 2013, I'm not sure that he will ever get fired, no matter how many CCGs we do or don't win.

Well said

I agree.

I only posted this because Polo was hiding behind Eric Crouch and being coy about the purpose of the thread.

• Fire 1

I agree.

I only posted this because Polo was hiding behind Eric Crouch and being coy about the purpose of the thread.

Ill tell you the purpose. And im surprised it hasnt yet been said cuz i thought this the second i read it. All it is is another attack on the "bo-lie ers" to say "see. Even Crouch says its unnacceptable to go this long without a championship. Bla bla bla. All your doing is accepting failure yada yada. Now bo's alienated another former great player". Nothin more. Nothin less. Now prove me wrong.

I agree.

Ill tell you the purpose. And im surprised it hasnt yet been said cuz i thought this the second i read it. All it is is another attack on the "bo-lie ers" to say "see. Even Crouch says its unnacceptable to go this long without a championship. Bla bla bla. All your doing is accepting failure yada yada. Now bo's alienated another former great player". Nothin more. Nothin less. Now prove me wrong.
My comment has no subtext. I see our program on the edge of winning a CCG every year (or at least every other year), which is a testiment to Bo, the staff, team, and program. The next logical step to me is winning a conference championship. There are other markers for improvement (e.g., positive turnover margin, more dynamic return game, reducing opponent rushing and total yardage, earlier recruiting), but in terms of that next step, it's a championship.