"Mt. Rushmore" - Husker Running Backs

As more than a few national football analysts noted, Lawrence Phillips looked like a man among boys in most games he played.

But Richard Nixon was a highly skilled politician and he's not Rushmore material either.

In fairness to Ahman Green, Nebraska didn't miss a beat when he stepped in to replace Phillips. He was damn close in terms of talent.

Roger Craig benefits from a high-profile NFL career, but by his Senior season he wasn't the best running back on the team.

Still, I'm hard pressed who I'd bump off the list and who I'd replace him with. The "problem" with Nebraska running backs is that competition was so fierce, not many guys got to be the featured back for more than a couple seasons. A healthy Burkhead would have gotten consideration. A healthy Ameer might bump Craig off my list.

I know this is probably crazy but what about Roy Helu? the guy has the single game rushing record and pretty much carried the team his jr. year and sr. year after t-mart got hurt.

Helu was great, if he didn't share carries with Burkhead he would be near the top of the rushing list.

I never thought Helu got the amount of love and kudos that he deserved. He was overshadowed by Lucky and Castille early in his career, and overshadowed by Burkhead's popularity later in his career but was one of the most athletic and exciting RB's we've ever had.

Loved me some Calvin Jones. Still one of my favortie players.

What does he do if he doesnt miss, what was it?, 3-4 games?

Yeah, but in the Orange Bowl after the '93 season, Phillips came in for an injured Calvin Jones and looked like the much better RB. This was as a skinny freshman.

This. Clearly gave us a better chance in that game than Jones did. I loved Jones but LP as a frosh was still better. Just my opinion.