BIG10 Media Days Bo Pelini

Year 7 and the same things. Turning over every stone, need to simplify to allow the guys to go 100 mph, no identity............... (and the hope that Bo is being savvy and misleading with the 5-0/50 quote) I alluded to the same thing in my post above, but have been proven wrong year after year. (I hope this is the one when we see some gamesmanship though)

We want to win? Run the ball. Its that simple. As mentioned above, go with high percentage throws that TA can make AND receivers can routinely catch. Not every pass has to be a "swing for the fence". Nothing wrong with 5-6 yrd passes. See what the QB's can do in practice. If they CAN'T throw a curl, slant etc...... then quit trying it in games. Get an identity as a throat punching, in your face offense that physically beats you into submission.

You'd probably throw a few complaints around yourself if people doing your job in other parts of the country had benefits (like watching team practices) you didn't.

With all due respect, no matter how many issues the folks in this profession have regarding the perks they are given by the University, their personal gripes have no business intruding into their coverage of this team. "The other kids get to" isn't a good excuse to openly gripe about the access they're given when they're not owed any access at all.

It's nothing more than a frustration shared by members of a collective profession, much like any other job in the world. Their occasional gripes haven't intruded on a thing in my opinion, so I guess that's where we'll agree to disagree.

On a scale of 1-10, this "problem" counts as about a 0.75, but since we're talking about it, it clearly has infiltrated their coverage. If I know about it, it's not just locker-room talk among guys in the profession. It really isn't a big deal, just something I was pointing out. We are pretty spoiled here with our local media - for the most part quality reporting all around.

Year 7 and the same things. Turning over every stone, need to simplify to allow the guys to go 100 mph, no identity............... (and the hope that Bo is being savvy and misleading with the 5-0/50 quote) I alluded to the same thing in my post above, but have been proven wrong year after year. (I hope this is the one when we see some gamesmanship though)

We want to win? Run the ball. Its that simple. As mentioned above, go with high percentage throws that TA can make AND receivers can routinely catch. Not every pass has to be a "swing for the fence". Nothing wrong with 5-6 yrd passes. See what the QB's can do in practice. If they CAN'T throw a curl, slant etc...... then quit trying it in games. Get an identity as a throat punching, in your face offense that physically beats you into submission

This is 2014 and its not a video game. If you are throwing 5-6 yard patterns LBs and safeties will play tight man coverage or shallow zones. They will make contact at the line of scrimmage negating our wide recievers from creating space or seperation. Couple that with them stacking the box and all of a sudden you end up with a lot of 3rd and longs. 50/50 is the way to go and its up to Tim Beck to spread them out and keep the defense on there toes. Its up to our offense to execute.

I know what your saying but I dont think it works that way anymore unless you got 4-5 lineman that are going to the league next year...i.e. Alabama from several years ago. Multiple formations and multiple personnel groupings and mixing the run and the pass will be more effective than being somewhat predictible! I believe that what TA was forced into last year being the QB that our offense was limited. I think they should be able to open up the playbook and be more aggressive and TA will be much more comfortable with the timing elements to all recievers. Thats my $.02 as I respectfully disagree

We want to win? Run the ball. Its that simple. As mentioned above, go with high percentage throws that TA can make AND receivers can routinely catch. Not every pass has to be a "swing for the fence". Nothing wrong with 5-6 yrd passes. See what the QB's can do in practice. If they CAN'T throw a curl, slant etc...... then quit trying it in games. Get an identity as a throat punching, in your face offense that physically beats you into submission.

Wait, didn't for years and years and years all we heard was the bitching and whining that Osborne ran the ball too much and we needed to throw it around more? Now, we've got a staff that wants a more balanced attack and people are bitching and whining that we just need to run the ball more.

You guys kill me. SMDH........

Kinda funny isn't it? I would love to see the smash mouth kick your ass every play style that we once had, but we don't. I think maybe we are getting closer to it though, but we will still pass the ball and we should. We have some pretty damn good talent there, and need to take advantage of that. I just hope that staff figures out from game to game what is working and sticks with it until they stop us instead of trying to out think ourselves.

I wonder what the thinking was behind not bringing the potential top five draft pick to Chicago........

Reward/honor the leaders who have been in the program for 4-5 years.

That seems out of Randy's control, either way though, yeah when you think about it, it's always seniors.

Nebraska Coach Bo Pelini's Lighter Side Not News for his Players
The Bo Pelini image makeover isn’t a makeover at all, at least as far as his players are concerned.
Pelini’s sideline blowups have been well-documented. During the season, he can be short and gruff with answers to the media.
But his players are perplexed the outside world is starting to see the new, looser side of their embattled coach.
“It’s funny, man, everyone keeps saying he’s changed. He hasn’t changed a bit to me,” Nebraska running back Ameer Abdullah said from Big Ten Media Day on Monday. “He’s the same guy as when he sat on my couch recruiting me.”

I wonder what the thinking was behind not bringing the potential top five draft pick to Chicago........

Reward/honor the leaders who have been in the program for 4-5 years.

That seems out of Randy's control, either way though, yeah when you think about it, it's always seniors.

Yeah, Taylor didn't even go until his senior year.

-The strength on D and the RBs coming back, running game be the strength? -"No, not necessarily. Need to establish running game to be a championship. You gotta be able to run the football. You have to have balance. We always talk about wanting to have balance, we've been a 60/40 run/pass team, want to get as close as 50/50. Gotta be able to execute at every phase of the game." -Bo

Darth_vader_no.gif

Agreed. I'd be happier to see it go the other direction. If you CAN successfully run the ball, why worry about an equal balance.

I am hoping, as I have for the past 6 years, that Bo is actually very good at the art of misdirection. i.e. vanilla in non-conference games because we are "keeping it a secret" until conference play or not showing our explosive O as we are waiting to unleash the beast in conference and then this comment posted above. I would like to think this is to confuse the opposing teams and we will come out in 2 back sets, power all the way and throw 10-12 times a game while relying on a revised punt return team )Bo finally realized punts can be returned) and leads the nation in return yards and TD's. Sadly, we will probably come out and sling the damn ball 30-35 times a game and then Beck will comment "I tried to much", "tried to hard to be balanced", "tried to force some plays", "went to conservative" etc......

I am hoping for something different and I really think the D can be the strength and really shut folks down.

Hoping that we run the ball dan the throat and do not try to be balanced because we "want to be". Do what works i.e. AA

One of my biggest gripes with the coaching staff is how they start vanilla. To me, you establish your identity and do what you want to do from the get go. Don't withhold things for a possible element of surprise later. To me the more reps and practice you get doing your scheme, the better you will be. To me it costs us valuable time to get some subs in late in non con games too.