Bo on Stringfellow....Ouch....

The unfortunate part of all this is something very foul most likely went on with the Stringfellow recruitment, but that's all in the finer details. Hugh Freeze shouldn't get to look like the good guy. That's why you don't throw stones, especially if you don't intend to stick around and back it up (at this point, I hope he doesn't and this can just blow over).

Running a classy program that always does the right thing is important and I think it does make Nebraska special (though I'm sure fans of any program will have their favorite players and say, "look, we develop quality young men."). But lobbing snide comments at other programs and recruits' parents doesn't fit the image. But, I completely understand that as long as Bo's our man, we want to see the best in him. Which is why, I suppose, so often the Tom Osborne / classy old Nebraska comparisons often slip into "See, look at Saban/Stoops/<insert your favorite angry coach here>, they do it too".

*The good news for us is that maybe some high school programs that know what happened may get turned off to Ole Miss. I wish there were more serious repercussions for dirty recruiting, though at this point I think we all know there aren't.

SNIP

Now, we all know that recruiting is what drives college football. You have to recruit in order to build, so missing out on guys can sting, especially when it seems almost guaranteed that you've locked someone up. But at the same time, every coach in America has to know that nothing is ever guaranteed in recruiting until that binding agreement is signed and sent in. Until then, all truly is fair in love and recruiting.

Pelini knows that, and to throw cryptic allegations out at a team he lost to for a recruit is irresponsible. Like Freeze said, if Pelini knew something foul was going on, he should have said something. Freeze invited him to, and he stayed quiet. If he had legitimate evidence proving that Ole Miss was involved in shady recruiting, he should have either divulged publicly or filed a complaint with the NCAA.

Instead, Pelini just carelessly tossed out an accusation with no substance to it and Freeze responded accordingly.

Yep.

LINK

>> Pelini was asked what happened with wide receiver Demore'ea Stringfellow, who committed to Nebraska -- even signed non-binding papers to NU -- but flipped to Ole Miss roughly two weeks later.

"Read between the lines," Pelini said. "I think we all know what happened in that situation."

When asked if parents making decisions for their kids on colleges was frustrating, Pelini said: "Yeah. And especially when it's a clueless parent."

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Maybe the high road was the better choice here, Bo.

Then people will bitch about coach speak.
I personally don't care. Lose a recruit? Ok, it happens. Talk about the players you have now, etc.

Don't imply cheating when you can't prove it and whine about how his mom is dumb. That's something crybabies do. What recruit is that going to win over?

He basically made a stupid throwaway post on Huskerboard a sound byte.

I agree that the comment should have been behind closed doors with other NU coaches. Wait a minute...the audio would still be leaked out to the masses anyway.

• Fire 1

I think it's important to note that author of this article is a SEC blog writer. Also, an Ole Miss grad.

I figured I covered that when I called him an idiot.

Now that's funny. Almost as funny as the writer calling Bo's comments irresponsible, as if Bo made wild allegations up about an innocent, law-abiding program. None but the most deluded of Ole Miss fans has any doubt about what happened and who the bad guys are in this situation.

SNIP

Now, we all know that recruiting is what drives college football. You have to recruit in order to build, so missing out on guys can sting, especially when it seems almost guaranteed that you've locked someone up. But at the same time, every coach in America has to know that nothing is ever guaranteed in recruiting until that binding agreement is signed and sent in. Until then, all truly is fair in love and recruiting.

Pelini knows that, and to throw cryptic allegations out at a team he lost to for a recruit is irresponsible. Like Freeze said, if Pelini knew something foul was going on, he should have said something. Freeze invited him to, and he stayed quiet. If he had legitimate evidence proving that Ole Miss was involved in shady recruiting, he should have either divulged publicly or filed a complaint with the NCAA.

Instead, Pelini just carelessly tossed out an accusation with no substance to it and Freeze responded accordingly.

Yep.
So where did Bo actually come out with these allegations against Ole Miss?

To a point, Freeze is right. If he knows something, come out and say it.

But for Freeze to act like something doesn't smell with this whole thing, he is only kidding himself and this idiot that wrote the column.

I understand what Freeze is saying and to a point, Bo has backed himself into a corner with his comments. Even if Bo knows for a fact Stringfellow was paid $200,000 to play at Ol Miss. And, let's say even Freeze knows that and is playing dumb.

How would Bo prove this?

I don't have a problem necessarily with Bo's comments because I do believe Ol Miss and Freeze are dirty as crap. However, Bo made the comments. Freeze responded and now it just needs to be dropped and move on with the season. Just maybe....Bo's comments will make Freeze sit back in his office and say......"Holy sh#t......is it that obvious"??? Probably not though.

• Fire 1

Big Ten Media Day last week, IIRC.

I think his point was that Bo didn't actually make any accusations, and yet everyone somehow knows what he meant, because everyone knows Ole Miss is dirty. Pretty funny that their coach responded to a cheating allegation that wasn't even made. The lady doth protest too much, methinks.

• Fire 3

Big Ten Media Day last week, IIRC.

I think his point was that Bo didn't actually make any accusations, and yet everyone somehow knows what he meant, because everyone knows Ole Miss is dirty. Pretty funny that their coach responded to a cheating allegation that wasn't even made. The lady doth protest too much, methinks.

Like the old saying goes, Throw a rock into a pack of dogs and the one that yelps is the one that got hit....