Eichorst: Moving Student Seats Needs to Be Considered

Mavric

Husker athletic director Shawn Eichorst has seen those empty rows at the top of the student section during football games just like everyone else.

It's a national issue, not just a Nebraska issue, but it doesn't make it any easier on the eyes in these parts.
One of the biggest complaints from students is the fact the seats extend all the way to the top of South Stadium. They feel disconnected up there. Far from the action.
As you might guess, the issue also isn't a quick fix.
Asked if athletic department officials have had any discussions about moving student seating, Eichorst said Wednesday: "I know that's been raised and discussed. That's a complicated sort of situation to work through but I think it's something we need to continue to consider. But that's complicated. There's a lot of moving pieces possibly with that."

LJS

I file this under "he has to say this when asked." To say it'll never happen would make students upset - and rightfully so. But the logistics dictate that it'll never happen.

Yeah, I doubt he could do it, even if he wanted to make it happen. I don't suppose it's legally binding, but it's long been accepted that as long as you keep giving money to the AD, you can keep your seats (or very close equivalents) for as long as you like. Violating that would cause a rebellion. The only chance would be to identify the section you wanted to give to the students and offer everyone seat upgrades without the higher donation level requirement. That'd be both difficult and pricey for the AD, so it won't happen.

I file this under "he has to say this when asked." To say it'll never happen would make students upset - and rightfully so. But the logistics dictate that it'll never happen.

Yeah, I doubt he could do it, even if he wanted to make it happen. I don't suppose it's legally binding, but it's long been accepted that as long as you keep giving money to the AD, you can keep your seats (or very close equivalents) for as long as you like. Violating that would cause a rebellion. The only chance would be to identify the section you wanted to give to the students and offer everyone seat upgrades without the higher donation level requirement. That'd be both difficult and pricey for the AD, so it won't happen.

Hadn't thought of that before but it could work. The tricky part is having enough open seats for those people to move into.

But you might have as many upset people about having to move as you have students happy about it. And that's before you get to the part about moving people who are paying full price for their tickets and a hefty donation on top so people who don't have a donation and get discounted seats can move in.

Well given that student tickets are still not sold out in south stadium, I think they're eyes might finally be opening to TO's little folly.

They've hit the panic button, for sure. The Athletic Department has gone to various student organizations centered around Husker athletics asking why students are not buying - big one is seats. Second is the schedule - and with this years home schedule, I don't really blame them.

Does anyone know how much turnover there is with season ticketholder seats? I would think if the turnover outweighs the number of student seats, that LukeinNE's idea would work, as long as the AD was willing to absorb the costs for one or two years...

If you move student seats, you are probably affecting a lot of season ticket holders.

As a former student, i get that it sucks to be near the way top, but lets also remember you are paying about $25 a ticket... and if you choose to get drunk and show up 10 minutes before kickoff, that will happen.

I have seen plenty of people get their 3+ hours ahead, get a good seat and then get hammered with their hidden booze.

IT isnt a great system, but i think it works well enough, that i am not sure what you can do that wouldnt cause even more issues.

They said the renewal rate this year was 95%, which I believe is pretty similar to what it's been in the past.

Considering there are 8000-9000 student seats and several thousand seats that aren't sold as season tickets (visitors sections, faculty/staff, players parents, etc.) I'd guess there are about 75,000 season tickets (someone can correct me if they know a better number). 5% of 75,000 is 3,750 which would be a decent number but then probably only half (for easy figuring) would be an "upgrade" for the people they would be moving. Perhaps over a couple years it could be done.