AP poll out: NU 22nd

Florida number 27 after going 4-8 last year. Laughable. There are a lot of matchups with ranked teams in the early weeks, and the teams ahead of Miami receiving votes also have tough games. If Miami is 3-0 going into our game they will be ranked just barely. Probably around #23 or 24 unless they blow of Louisville. If we take care of business in good fashion we should be around #15 at that time. I don't think it matters where the ranking are, if we are both 3-0 gameday will be here.

I don't think so. Most of the matchups ahead of us aren't going to fall out of the top 25 with a loss.

Wisconsin/LSU - not going to fall 11 spots w/ loss to LSU.

A&M/S. Carolina - possibly fall out, but not below Miami when losing to #9.

Clemson/Georgia - won't drop 9 spots by losing to top 10 team.

USC/Stanford - neither will drop out unless USC gets blown away. 10 is too far to fall

MSU/Oregon - little chance they fall past #15ish

Georgia/S. Carolina - depending on if Georgia beats Clemson, they wont' be falling out of top 15 with a loss here. 2nd loss they will drop out though.

That's pretty much the totality of the marque match ups early. Michigan will lose to ND and drop down pretty far. Texas losing to UCLA will push them below Miami.

There might be a few more....but 14 spots is a long ways to move when most teams are playing cupcakes early. I'd say they are sitting at 30ish when we play them. But crazier things have happened.

Yes but teams don't just move up because of other teams losing. There was a point early in the season last year or the year before (can't remember) where we were winning, but not impressively, so we actually moved down a few spots even though we didn't lose. If Miami can beat Louisville handily (who is ranked 31) they will most likely take their spot or jump higher. The AP voters are homers and look at scores. Plus Miami plays them on Monday, which means everyone will be watching. If they look good, it will change a lot of ballots.

8 SEC teams in the top 25. Great way to build up that conference. No matter who beats who someone is guaranteed to remain ranked.

I have a feeling that this may be another year that the SEC takes a step back compared to the rest of college football.

Just 1 SEC team in the top 5 though. Each of the 5 power conferences is represented. In fact, the next 5 is nearly the same, except that the SEC gets an extra team in at the expense of the ACC. So, the SEC doesn't have the inside track on getting extra playoff spots, though they have more teams lurking nearby. Granted, the AP poll isn't used for the playoffs, but isn't the media supposedly the most biased towards the SEC?

I'm waiting the Jeff Sagarin ratings. I know some outrageous ratings per team in the early season but just curious. In particular Predictor column (odds).

Jeff Sagarin is a sports statistician well known for his development of a methodology for ranking and rating sports teams in a variety of sports. His ratings have been a regular feature in the USA Today sports section since 1985. Sagarin does not divulge the exact methodology behind his system.

Sports rating systems are generally of great interest to gamblers. Gamblers use Sagarin's ratings as a source of Power Rankings, traditionally used as a way to determine the spread between two teams. -wiki source

75% methodology (supercomputer), 25% human feelings (Jeff's interview 10 years ago or so). That is why I religiously read and study for every CFB weeks for the past 15 years. Who cares about AP jokers? 1997 Final AP poll - Michigan had awarded #1. Enuf said.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/sagarin/2013/team/

2013 Huskers: #24 (ELO)