***OFFICIAL 2014 COLLEGE FOOTBALL DISCUSSION THREAD***

GSG

I love how much the narrative has changed about players getting paid. It wasn't long ago OSU players got in trouble for autographs as well as other crap and the media killed OSU. Now it seems as if the media is more sympathetic towards the players. Of course Johnny Football only got a half game suspension against Rice so I am sure Gurley will get a slap on the wrist as well. You would think that GA would preach this stuff to their players after AJ Green got busted.

I love how much the narrative has changed about players getting paid. It wasn't long ago OSU players got in trouble for autographs as well as other crap and the media killed OSU. Now it seems as if the media is more sympathetic towards the players. Of course Johnny Football only got a half game suspension against Rice so I am sure Gurley will get a slap on the wrist as well. You would think that GA would preach this stuff to their players after AJ Green got busted.

I have a couple of views about this.

First, OSU got eviscerated because the coach was included in the cover up. And lied. So it's a little different than one player (in this instance) signing some memorabilia for cash as opposed to several players trading memorabilia for tattoos, getting caught, and having the coach lie on their behalf.

Also, I think the EA Sports lawsuit filed by Ed O'Bannon and others pulled the curtain back on the hypocrisy of the NCAA not allowing players to make money off their own likeness and then signing billion dollar contracts for themselves doing the same thing showed how unfair that rule was.

Finally, it's like anything else in this country. It's a big deal at the one time and then as people notice that it's closer to the rule than the exception, people accept the behavior and want the rules changed. Just look at the marijuana laws.

Can any of you recall a day when UT, Okla, and NU all lost?

What about adding Michigan, Alabama, and USC too?

Crazy college football

Along with semi elite Oregon, LSU, Miami, and UCLA.

Just catching up on this thread and noticed this. They did look it up on sports nightly last saturday night that the last time that Nebraska, Texas, Oklahoma, Alabama, and UCLA all lost on the same day/week was in 1908 I think or sometime back that far.

I have a couple of views about this.

First, OSU got eviscerated because the coach was included in the cover up. And lied. So it's a little different than one player (in this instance) signing some memorabilia for cash as opposed to several players trading memorabilia for tattoos, getting caught, and having the coach lie on their behalf.

Also, I think the EA Sports lawsuit filed by Ed O'Bannon and others pulled the curtain back on the hypocrisy of the NCAA not allowing players to make money off their own likeness and then signing billion dollar contracts for themselves doing the same thing showed how unfair that rule was.

Finally, it's like anything else in this country. It's a big deal at the one time and then as people notice that it's closer to the rule than the exception, people accept the behavior and want the rules changed. Just look at the marijuana laws.

I totally understand what happened at OSU but I don't understand why the media camped out for months and were digging for everything they could. I am of the opinion that Tressel should have been fired for what he did and I was OK with the punishments for the players even though they shouldn't have played in the Sugar Bowl. I was happy that after all the digging that is all the media could come up with. However, they didn't dig that much at Texas A&M and they haven't at many other schools that reside in the south.

Well, really it's tOSU's fault for being in the wrong conference.

But StPaul is pretty spot on