Ameer for Heisman

Mavric

This is not a knock on Rex, but we were blown away by Rex's talents and abilities and said similar things. Ameer is beyond special, one of the all-time greats to put on the scarlet and cream. Rex was a wonderful Husker and person off the field, Ameer is a great guy off the field, but the superior running back and I, personally, will enjoy these last few games. He is a great one, we are lucky that he has represented the university the way he has, other schools don't have the luxury of their best player also being the best human being. So in short, give the man his trophy.

NFL.com Heisman Watch

3. TB Ameer Abdullah, Nebraska

Season stats: 180 carries, 1,249 rushing yards, 17 TDs, 13 receptions, 169 yards, 2 TDs.
Saturday's stats: 19 carries, 225 yards, 3 TDs, 2 receptions, 26 yards in 42-24 win over Rutgers.
The skinny: He leads the nation in rushing yards and is third in rushing yards per game (156.1). Saturday's outing was his fourth 200-yard game of the season, which leads the nation, and his sixth game with at least 100 yards. His 17 rushing TDs are second-most nationally -- and eight more than he had all of last season. As for durability, he is eighth in the nation in rushing attempts per game (22.5). He is averaging 6.9 yards per carry, and of the 66 players nationally averaging at least 6.0 per carry, he is by far the leader in attempts (by 26).

» Abdullah sets all-purpose yardage record

Considering we have some tougher opponents down the stretch, his averages of 156 rushing yards and 211 all-purpose yards are likely to go down somewhat. But he's currently on pace for 1,873 rushing yards 2,535 through the end of the regular season (no CCG or Bowl). I think he's going to get invited to the ceremony anyway but if he gets close to 2000 yards rushing and 2500 all-purpose yards, he'll make a run at the trophy.

I think they'll only invite one RB. Obviously, Gurley is out. I think the decision between AA and Gordon is based off of their performances on November 15th in Madison. It should be a showdown.

I don't think Gordon has a chance because Wisconsin just isn't a good football team. It's different if you're a 3-4 loss Baylor or Florida team where you're still good and your Heisman winner has transcendent talent, but Wisconsin is just average across the board.

We need to keep winning for Ameer to make it, as well.

ESPN Week 10 Heisman Rankings Can Marcus Mariota catch Dak Prescott?

B1NP5JbCQAAHlep.jpg

Dak Prescott is only on the list because he's the QB on a highly ranked SEC team. He's good, but he's not that good. His last two games he's thrown for closer to 54% with two TDs to 3 Ints. Overall, his numbers for 2014 are:

• Passing: 60.3% - 1694 Yds. - 8.96 YPA - 15 TDs - 5 ints
  • Rushing: 124 Carries - 664 Yds. - 5.4 Avg. - 10 TDs

To compare, here are Tommy Armstrong's numbers this year:

• Passing: 54.5% - 1709 Yds - 8.18 YPA - 12 Tds - 6 ints
  • Rushing: 77 Carries - 501 Yds. - 6.5 Avg. - 3 TDs

Tommy Armstrong is a good QB too, but he's not a Heisman candidate either.

-----------------------------------

I'm going to the game again Saturday so I expect Mr. Abdullah to have another outstanding game.

• Fire 1

I don't know about you guys, but I'm wondering if the Heisman deserves Ameer.

It's a tarnished trophy. I've been thinking about this for a while. It's still the pinnacle award in college football, but several of the past winners have been more than lacking, in my opinion. And it does NOT go to the best player in college football, despite its stated description.