Cal beat Northwestern, and Pat Fitzgerald wishes Cal beat writers would've given him a heads-up

papersun87

Wait so did they pack the wrong set of wrist bands? Did they actually bring two sets and someone broke out the wrong ones for the game? Why do you have multiple cards? Was someone fired for this gaf? Did someone from Cal switch the bands when nobody was looking? And how many different defensive cards do they have for week ONE!?

Fitgeraldnis a fricking tool. Seriously, the first time I saw this guy hey annoyed the crap outta me. Even before I endured his sideline temper tantrum/gymnastics when they came here in 2011. The end is near and he senses it. Soon as hes gone NW goes back to being a doormat and our new Kansas.

Fitgeraldnis a fricking tool. Seriously, the first time I saw this guy hey annoyed the crap outta me. Even before I endured his sideline temper tantrum/gymnastics when they came here in 2011. The end is near and he senses it. Soon as hes gone NW goes back to being a doormat and our new Kansas.

In the meantime we will continue to lose to them or barely beat them.

He went from one of the most popular coaches out there, to a bit of a joke so quickly... NW doesnt scare me much anymore.

Oh, if he wins a couple games he'll be back in favor. The bar is not very high in Evanston.

Shocking I know but perhaps it wasn't the bloggers fault:

Last month, I drove up to Kenosha, Wisconsin, to attend one of Northwestern's off-site practices at the University of Wisconsin-Parkside. I learned absolutely nothing.

It was the same day the Big Ten Network's bus tour visited the Wildcats. Barely 60 players suited up for the workout. The most energy shown was a watermelon-eating contest at the end.
Although Northwestern traditionally keeps its practices fun and takes an extremely cautious approach with banged-up players, it felt different this year, more like a country club. After Northwestern's 5-7 flop last season that included every imaginable way to lose games, I figured practices would be more competitive and physical.
Northwestern had a soft offensive line in 2013 and a defensive line thinned by several legitimate injuries in the spring. Preseason camp was the time to mix it up. Instead, Northwestern took the let's-get-everybody-to-the-opener approach.
What happened? The Wildcats weren't ready to play against Cal, falling behind 31-7. Last Saturday, they made myriad mistakes, from drops to penalties, in their first-ever loss to Northern Illinois.
The Wildcats are 0-2 and in a serious crisis. The foundational elements that helped Northwestern to the most consistent stretch of success in team history -- energy, creative play-calling, discipline, crunch-time execution -- have vanished. Perhaps a rough offseason that included the union debate and Venric Mark's sudden departure is taking a bigger toll than Northwestern let on, but something is very wrong.

ESPN

• 2 weeks later...