This is why you never, ever, ever let up

knapplc

I agree with the general point that the mystique of Nebraska has steadily eroded since....basically Osborne departed. It's a long road to get back there.

That said, I find this a curious time for a topic like this. Last Saturday, Nebraska did exactly what a vintage Husker team would've done to a cupcake: ran up an obscene number of yards, the game was over by halftime, lots of reserves, who played hard to the end. I would think that a relatively downer post like this would make more sense after a lackluster showing against someone.

It all has to do with context. Knapp elsewhere and previously has commented at length about the swell performance this past week. I believe this OP of his was strictly intended to address the curious comments of that FAU player. I didn't take it as a downer post at all but rather as attacking a related issue from a different angle-FWIW.

• Fire 1

Tip of the hat to JJ. Thank you, sir.

The OP was not intended to say, "We suck" in any way you could possibly construe that phrase. It was basically, "This is what the college football world thinks of you. Get the work done to set that perception straight."

Last week was a fantastic start to that process, but clearly there's more work to be done. Let's see it again this week. Let's see it at Fresno State, and let's bury Miami. Keep it going.

• Fire 2

It all has to do with context. Knapp elsewhere and previously has commented at length about the swell performance this past week. I believe this OP of his was strictly intended to address the curious comments of that FAU player. I didn't take it as a downer post at all but rather as attacking a related issue from a different angle-FWIW.

Got it. Work has kept me off these boards for the past few weeks, so I would've missed Knapp's previous comments. I do think the FAU guy is just a dumbass though. If he was barking coming into the game, that's another matter, but to essentially claim that FAU is the better team after one of the worst statistical defeats in school history....odd.

How the hell do you physically intimidate an opponent in this day and age? How do you do that when every time you finish off a block, make a crushing tackle, or make a mean face at an opponent you risk a 15yd penalty and/or ejection from the game? Seems like "rough play" is seen as "unnecessary roughness" nowadays.

From what I've read previously, it seems the only way to "intimidate" or earn "respect" is by running up scores to ridiculous totals, every game.

I think part of the image problem stems from media coverage and the lack of original thought found there. If Herbstreit or Des Howard cuts loose a chipotle fart on TV, all the other hacks run to order chipotle. Why bother with individual analysis when you can grab an accepted canned stance?

Best idea so far has been "Just win'em all"

• Fire 1

How the hell do you physically intimidate an opponent in this day and age? How do you do that when every time you finish off a block, make a crushing tackle, or make a mean face at an opponent you risk a 15yd penalty and/or ejection from the game? Seems like "rough play" is seen as "unnecessary roughness" nowadays.

From what I've read previously, it seems the only way to "intimidate" or earn "respect" is by running up scores to ridiculous totals, every game.

I think part of the image problem stems from media coverage and the lack of original thought found there. If Herbstreit or Des Howard cuts loose a chipotle fart on TV, all the other hacks run to order chipotle. Why bother with individual analysis when you can grab an accepted canned stance?

Best idea so far has been "Just win'em all"

+1 for "chipotle fart"

The OP was not intended to say, "We suck" in any way you could possibly construe that phrase. It was basically, "This is what the college football world thinks of you. Get the work done to set that perception straight."

Last week was a fantastic start to that process, but clearly there's more work to be done. Let's see it again this week. Let's see it at Fresno State, and let's bury Miami. Keep it going.

Knapp, you might be spot on. I do wonder if FAU was uniquely overconfident and came rolling in with this idea that Nebraska will wilt if punched in the mouth because their HC had some personal experience playing against the Huskers during which his Wisconsin team provided two thorough beating (he also has some reference to how the Huskers used to play back in the late 90's when he was at Iowa St). Is this a national perception or one for personal experience?

Although knapp does hit on something that I've been saying on this forum, and taken a lot of crap for for a long time, which is that the perception is that Nebraska is no longer a perennial power, no longer a player on the national scene. And perception is reality. (And it really is reality, perception or not). That perception affects how we're treated by the talking heads on TV, how we're written about by beat writers and columnists and bloggers and twitter folk, the TV spots that we get, the luck we have in recruiting, etc etc etc.

Until we actually win something, anything, that's not going to change for the better. So I'm fine with not letting up, although I'd prefer that to be against say MSU at Spartan Stadium when we're up by 17 points rather than home against FAU.

Although knapp does hit on something that I've been saying on this forum, and taken a lot of crap for for a long time, which is that the perception is that Nebraska is no longer a perennial power, no longer a player on the national scene. And perception is reality. (And it really is reality, perception or not). That perception affects how we're treated by the talking heads on TV, how we're written about by beat writers and columnists and bloggers and twitter folk, the TV spots that we get, the luck we have in recruiting, etc etc etc.

Until we actually win something, anything, that's not going to change for the better. So I'm fine with not letting up, although I'd prefer that to be against say MSU at Spartan Stadium when we're up by 17 points rather than home against FAU.

We lay the wood to Sparty and beat that "awesome defenses a$$", people will take notice. Win big game and quit crapping the bed in others. Simply out physical the other guy.

I work for a former player, he played from 91 to 93, I brought this subject up to him. he has friends on the k state and Colorado teams from the same era.he stated no one truly feared us then but they felt it for a week afterwards. Huskers then would punish you for playing them.our lines would break you. catch that ball and get lit up. return a punt or kick expect a big hit or block. but as stated earlier a lot of that style of play gets flagged these days. no one feared us then but they RESPECTED the HUSKERS for what the brought to the table. smart physical play. Big Red was rarely littered with top notch players, we had some blue chippers but mostly well coached guys who wanted to be the best every damn time the touched the field. walk ons who went toe to toe with the best in the country and usually won because of training and heart. working with in the system as a team. not 4 studs and some other guys as a few of our recent years teams played.

I sense a bit of excitement and anticipation from a guy that wasn't all too thrilled before this season kicked off?

FAU or not, we beat them the way we were supposed to beat them. In record fashion too. Enough bitching Husker fans. It's time to rally this thing and get it right. That offense and defense looked good. Like you said Knapp, just keep it going. We have something to build upon now it seems.

We lay the wood to Sparty and beat that "awesome defenses a$$", people will take notice. Win big game and quit crapping the bed in others. Simply out physical the other guy.
Let's beat them by 30!