*** 2017 Recruiting ***

Apparently the Shrine Bowl moved up the date of the game this year to try to make it possible for the Husker-signees to play but the Huskers further moved up the reporting date so they couldn't.

Not the greatest way to win favor with HS coaches.

No, but surely they could understand where the Nebraska coaches are coming from.

Apparently the Shrine Bowl moved up the date of the game this year to try to make it possible for the Husker-signees to play but the Huskers further moved up the reporting date so they couldn't.

I assume the coaches wants the freshmen to report when the 2nd session of summer classes begin (and to take a class or 2 over the summer), so its more of a UNL academic calendar thing, not a football department thing. Isn't the rule they are allowed to participate in team activities over the summer only if they are enrolled?

Report 6/2

Shrine Bowl 6/3

2nd Summer Session 6/5

If I was a Husker coach, I would be terrified of the incoming players playing in a game at that point. All it takes is one weird hit and you lose a guy for the season before he sets foot on campus.

• Fire 1

I assume the coaches wants the freshmen to report when the 2nd session of summer classes begin (and to take a class or 2 over the summer), so its more of a UNL academic calendar thing, not a football department thing. Isn't the rule they are allowed to participate in team activities over the summer only if they are enrolled?

Report 6/2

Shrine Bowl 6/3

2nd Summer Session 6/5

If I was a Husker coach, I would be terrified of the incoming players playing in a game at that point. All it takes is one weird hit and you lose a guy for the season before he sets foot on campus.

They previously had to report on 6/4. So they Shrine Bowl moved the game to 6/3. Now they're making them report earlier.

They previously had to report on 6/4. So they Shrine Bowl moved the game to 6/3. Now they're making them report earlier.

See bolded above

Eh, the risk of injury is pretty overblown. You could get injured at any time. They played how many games in high school? They could get hurt during off-season lifting. They could get hurt the first day of practice. Injuries happen. Skipping one game lessens that risk but by such a small amount that it's hardly worth talking about. Those guys are all pretty much headed for a redshirt anyway.

Would mean a lot more in terms of PR and goodwill that the slightly reduced risk of injury.

Eh, the risk of injury is pretty overblown. You could get injured at any time. They played how many games in high school? They could get hurt during off-season lifting. They could get hurt the first day of practice. Injuries happen. Skipping one game lessens that risk but by such a small amount that it's hardly worth talking about. Those guys are all pretty much headed for a redshirt anyway.

Would mean a lot more in terms of PR and goodwill that the slightly reduced risk of injury.

Yes, they played in many HS football games... 8 months prior. So if they had an injury during their HS season, the University already knew about it and actually had a chance to change their mind if they wanted to offer them a scholarship. No one wants to lose a player to injury the DAY before they report. I say DON'T let them play.

• Fire 1

Walker yes, Allen maybe? If Rafdal seems more ready than I guess so, but TE is a spot where he could earn time right away. Bradley probably not redshirting due to our general philosophy on RB's. You may have even brought that up.

Even if it brings it down just a little isn't that worth it? Are there practices that go along with the Shrine bowl? If so that adds to the risk. Yes, the could get hurt in off season workouts, but at least the Husker coaches are in charge of the program. This is outside of their control so I can understand the anxiety.

Yes, they played in many HS football games... 8 months prior. So if they had an injury during their HS season, the University already knew about it and actually had a chance to change their mind if they wanted to offer them a scholarship. No one wants to lose a player to injury the DAY before they report. I say DON'T let them play.

Bingo here. Their body is out of football shape and a week of practices aren't going to get them back in it.

• Mavric changed the title to *** 2017 Recruiting ***