*** 2017 Recruiting ***

Supposedly Watts, Blades and D Thomas still have a little work to do. A rivals guy might be able to elaborate.

lol watch us not get Watts and Thomas on campus and have Avery commit to TCU. That'll go over real well
Mav updated each situation. I read since my initial post that DThomas isn't a concern. Watts might be late summer but should be ok.
  • 1 month later...

So do we still consider this recruiting class a success with three of the top players in the class not sounding like they will ever see campus?

It certainly still has program changing potential with the likes of Gebbia, Lindsey, Avery, and so on. Defensive line sounds like was well recruited even without Watts based on reports of performance. It's not the same, but it could still hold pieces that we look back on as what helped bring us up. Can't really answer this yet.

• Fire 1

So do we still consider this recruiting class a success with three of the top players in the class not sounding like they will ever see campus?

just looks like more of the same Bo like class

I agree...Kind of sad and in the end if the recruiting is the same and the wins are less...well...this is going to be the worst hire ever.

Yeah, still a good class to me. Lindsey is an iconic recruiting win and Avery Roberts will contribute immediately and develop into a star. Gebbia is the real deal, McQuitty will be really good, and I think Hampton is the hidden gem of the class.

But I keep wondering what the f is going on. The one positive I think everyone would agree on is that Riley seems like a meticulous planner. That's what his experience and NFL acumen does for him, and that's the kind of thing we heard about when we hired him. So a situation that's been brewing for a while now - where we lose both Watts and Blades - feels like it still blindsided our staff. Being well under the 85 limit while refusing to go after jucos for roster balance seems like really poor planning and something that could hurt us in a couple years.

I agree...Kind of sad and in the end if the recruiting is the same and the wins are less...well...this is going to be the worst hire ever.
i wouldn't say the worst hire ever he is very nice after all

i wouldn't say the worst hire ever he is very nice after all

That is true!

Makes me wonder if the staff really does make NCAA football video game recruiting guarantees to recruits haha. With speculation that we told a '19 QB we wouldn't recruit an '18 QB for him, I just cant help but wonder if the staff thinks that's some of the only ways to win recruiting battles for big time players. The reality is that that's beyond silly. You hold a spot for a BPA, and supplement the class where you need. If a recruit really doesn't like the idea of competing against a lower rated recruit at his position then who cares? They'll face that anywhere if they pay attention.

I'd rather have two 3* DBs than promise Blades he would be the only one and then miss out on him anyway for example. Not that that's what happened but I just don't understand why we didn't take a second DB anyway, let alone if the staff knew he might have academic issues.

• Mavric changed the title to *** 2017 Recruiting ***