*** 2017 Recruiting ***

Hmmm....noticed something interesting.

We have (I think) 17 2017 recruits coming to the Spring game which is fantastic. I also love KJJ, Gebbia and McQuitty's peer recruiting.

However, of those 17, 5 of the uncommitted are WRs out of California. Now, I fully understand that these guys are probably the guys they know from 7 on 7 tournaments so it's easy for them to communicate with and recruit.

Problem is, we might only have maybe 2 more spots for WRs and we have 19?? more spots for everyone else. If these kids really want to be a force for putting this class together, they need to expand their group of players they are recruiting. We really need linemen on both sides and a really really good RB....obviously along with every other position.

Hopefully they can start making some inroads with those positions also.

• Fire 1

I was going to bring that up but I figured someone would accuse me of just being a Debbie Downer.

I love having all the interest but it's not going to help us out as much as it could if they were spread out to some other positions. Not at all trying to take away from what Williams is doing. Just would be nice if some of the others were having a bit more success to go along with it.

We have (I think) 17 2017 recruits coming to the Spring game which is fantastic. I also love KJJ, Gebbia and McQuitty's peer recruiting.

However, of those 17, 5 of the uncommitted are WRs out of California. Now, I fully understand that these guys are probably the guys they know from 7 on 7 tournaments so it's easy for them to communicate with and recruit.

Problem is, we might only have maybe 2 more spots for WRs and we have 19?? more spots for everyone else. If these kids really want to be a force for putting this class together, they need to expand their group of players they are recruiting. We really need linemen on both sides and a really really good RB....obviously along with every other position.

To be fair...

R. Johnson will play LB not WR.

Pickett would likely be a DB not a WR.

I also think we will take 5 WR. I talked about this in another thread, but I think we would be okay taking 5 WR this class. It undoubtedly will be between 3-5 WR.

I think the other coaches can have really good success in this class. We have a very good start on a corp of high end players. Those coaches now need to use that momentum and show the other positions why these kids are important and why they would want to come play with them.

For instance:

Coach Cav - Hey, XYZ lineman, it would be absolutely awesome for you to come block for these guys because if have someone like you on the line, the team can be successful because we know these guys can make plays.

The other positions just might take some more time.

What will be hard is some how creating a relationship between McQuitty, KJJ and Gebbia with players from other parts of the country and positions. At least it's easier then it used to be now with social media.

To be fair...

R. Johnson will play LB not WR.

Pickett would likely be a DB not a WR.

I also think we will take 5 WR. I talked about this in another thread, but I think we would be okay taking 5 WR this class. It undoubtedly will be between 3-5 WR.

The only way I see that it's 5 is if it's someone like Lindsey at the end.

I think the other coaches can have really good success in this class. We have a very good start on a corp of high end players. Those coaches now need to use that momentum and show the other positions why these kids are important and why they would want to come play with them.

For instance:

Coach Cav - Hey, XYZ lineman, it would be absolutely awesome for you to come block for these guys because if have someone like you on the line, the team can be successful because we know these guys can make plays.

The other positions just might take some more time.

What will be hard is some how creating a relationship between McQuitty, KJJ and Gebbia with players from other parts of the country and positions. At least it's easier then it used to be now with social media.

Having them at the spring game with really help with creating the relationships with the non Cali kids. I am sure these guys will be making the connections and the coaches will be encouraging them to get in with certain recruits!

Priority:
OT - There will only be five scholarship OTs left after this year and two will be seniors.
DT - Only four left after this year. Behind by not taking one last year. For sure need two.
DE - Numbers aren't bad but really need some game-changers
TE - Only three after this year but at least they're young.

-----------------------------------------

QB - 1 - TRISTAN GEBBIA
RB - 1 -
FB - 0-1 - Ben Miles
WR - 4 - KEYSHAWN JOHNSON Jr., JAEVON McQUITTY, Jamire Calvin, Nick Pickett, Maruice Bell, Jeremiah Hawkins, Tyjon Lindsey
TE - 2-3 - Austin Allen, Dalton Keene
OT - 2-3 - BRENDEN JAIMES, Alan Ali, Blaise Andries, Ryan Nelson

OG/C - 1-2 - Broc Bando

DT - 2-3 - Isaiah Johnson (JUCO), Deontre Thomas
DE - 1-2 - Guy Thomas, Rahyme Johnson
LB - 2-3 - WILLIE HAMPTON, Avery Roberts, Nadarius Fagan
CB - 1-2 - Darnay Holmes, Jamarri Jackson, Deommodore Lenoir
S - 1-2 -

ATH - 1-2 - Roshauud Paul

Edited by Mavric
Working on post-Spring Game updates....
  • Fire 3

I don't understand why so many ppl think we are only going to take 3-4 WR. We have so many high high high guys who are visiting and highly interested in the Huskers. We may never have a WR class like this one. We are going to take 4-5. They want at least 4 and will take 5 if we have guys like Joseph Lewis, Tyjon Lindsay, & Jamire Calvin that want in. They can always redshirt a couple and play a couple to spread out the numbers in the classes. Tyjon is a Pierson El type player who can do a lot with jet sweeps, screen passes, punt/kick return, and speed on the outside. Lewis is physical and big and can go over the top and up the middle.

Players gone after 16-17' season:

• QB: Tommy Armstrong / O'Brien (Gebbia)
  • RB: Ozigbo / Wilbon / Newby (Bryant)
  • FB: No losses
  • TE: Carter / Snyder / Cotton / (Stoll, Engelhaupt)
  • OL: Gates / Foster / Knevel / Utter / Thurston (Farmer, Barnett, Brokop, Decker, Farniok)
  • WR: Westerkamp / Morgan / Reilly / DPE / Moore (Grim, Spielman) (McQuitty, Johnson Jr.)

• DE: Freedom / Dzuris / Neal / King / Davis (Stille, Miller)
  • DT: McMullen / Maurice / Williams / C Davis / K Davis (Mick, Newell)
  • LB: Rose-Ivey / Young / Banderas / Weber / Newby (Barry, Simmons, Ferguson) (Alexander, Jefferson)
  • CB: No losses
  • S: Gerry / A. Williams / K Williams / Reed (L Jackson, Anderson, Dismuke, Butler, Domann)

• P: Foltz / Lightbourn
  • K: No losses

Overall, I think the staff has done a good job of filling in the talent that will be lost. Sorry if I am missing someone-- I ran through this in my head at work quickly.

• Mavric changed the title to *** 2017 Recruiting ***