*** 2017 Recruiting ***

I love that we are getting all these commitments from some top guys on our board and that we are getting them early. What terrifies me though, is that there is so much time between now and signing day... A lot can happen. This peer recruiting movement is strong right now, but can it sustain itself for 10mo after the newness and excitement wears off? What happens when big schools they never thought they would get offers from come in in November? I'm not worried about KJJ or Gebbia or Mcquitty. They have made their visits and had the biggest offers and already checked out enough schools to know..., but the LB Hampton... Let's say Miami or Florida or Georgia or Florida state offer... There's a good chance he's going to visit and there's a good chance we lose him. Or what about A&M offering our OT commit and getting in his ear about playing in the SEC and staying close to home? I fear a few of these guys have been using us as place holders because we are the best offer at this time and they like us.

It is a great problem to have. We kept Greg Simmons last year even though we had a terrible season and a lot of local schools came calling for him later in the process. These recruits know where they stand with us and that they are the top targets on our board. Hopefully, our momentum only continues to improve with a solid season No use in hand wringing and waiting for something bad to happen. If it does, oh well we will find some quality guys to replace them. For now just enjoy the moment.

I love that we are getting all these commitments from some top guys on our board and that we are getting them early. What terrifies me though, is that there is so much time between now and signing day... A lot can happen. This peer recruiting movement is strong right now, but can it sustain itself for 10mo after the newness and excitement wears off? What happens when big schools they never thought they would get offers from come in in November? I'm not worried about KJJ or Gebbia or Mcquitty. They have made their visits and had the biggest offers and already checked out enough schools to know..., but the LB Hampton... Let's say Miami or Florida or Georgia or Florida state offer... There's a good chance he's going to visit and there's a good chance we lose him. Or what about A&M offering our OT commit and getting in his ear about playing in the SEC and staying close to home? I fear a few of these guys have been using us as place holders because we are the best offer at this time and they like us.

It is a great problem to have. We kept Greg Simmons last year even though we had a terrible season and a lot of local schools came calling for him later in the process. These recruits know where they stand with us and that they are the top targets on our board. Hopefully, our momentum only continues to improve with a solid season No use in hand wringing and waiting for something bad to happen. If it does, oh well we will find some quality guys to replace them. For now just enjoy the moment.

A good season would go one hell of a long ways to solidify these guys (and others) till signing day.

So how is this different than any other year?

There is really no difference from any other year as far as the potential to lose the current verbal commitments. We just have to trust that the staff will be able to keep them interested and also that they believe that Nebraska is still the perfect fit for them if/when they decide to visit other schools.

Because we never have this many long distance commits this far out from signing day to hold on to.

Because we never have this many long distance commits this far out from signing day to hold on to.
Not true

Not true
We rarely have this many long distance highly rated commits this far out from signing day to hold on to. Fify.

You said you weren't worried about KJJ, Gebbia or McQuitty. So really you are just worried about 3 guys right now?

Last year around this time we had guys from California, Oklahoma, Nebraska, Iowa, Illinois, Colorado, and Florida. And we had 2 decommits (that I can remember), and they came from Nebraska and Oklahoma. So I wouldn't worry about the distance thing.

You said you weren't worried about KJJ, Gebbia or McQuitty. So really you are just worried about 3 guys right now?

Last year around this time we had guys from California, Oklahoma, Nebraska, Iowa, Illinois, Colorado, and Florida. And we had 2 decommits (that I can remember), and they came from Nebraska and Oklahoma. So I wouldn't worry about the distance thing.

Just for clarification....we have 7 commits now.

Just for clarification....we have 7 commits now.

I wasn't counting Allen because she was worried about losing kids from "far away".

Distance plays a part for sure since the draw of having your family or friends near is a big deal to some kids. There is just too many factors that can change a kids mind more so for kids with options greater than South Dakota State and the like. However, I think that it depends on the connections to the coaching staff, current recruits, and existing players that influence most kids to stay.

I have found that you take recruiting with a grain of salt, if the kid is meant to stay then he will regardless of distance. In the case of Hampton, yeah that one is a tough read, he committed quick so we will have to see how that pans out for sure. Maybe he has a rock solid relationship with Bray or maybe he just wants a place to go if no other school offers.

I have just seen too many kids take their biggest high level offer and commit as a placeholder but then the hometown school they grew up a fan of that is high level comes in when their plan a's and b's fall through or a higher level program comes in last minute and sweeps that kid that had been committed for a year away. There's always a lot of movement and sometimes the "I should take a look at these schools" peeps in and the kid ends up getting sold on some crazy thing and flips. I hate that stuff. The reason I don't worry about McQuitty is because he is from Missouri and already has major offers he turned down to come here. He wanted to stay close to home and already had all the big offers close to home and visited those programs before choosing us. Same with Keyshawn and Gebbia. They visited tons of schools and had the bama and top SEC/PAC 12 offers before they committed to us. They saw all the big schools and then made their choice. Allen grew up a Huskers fan and it was his dream to play for Nebraska so I'm not worried about him. It's mainly the Florida LB Hampton.

As you all seem to feel I am completely wrong in believing we are going to have a great recruiting class and even a good season this fall (my reasons are plenty and therefore criticize most everything I offer, I will only say that I am actually slightly disappointed by the class thus far as I really thought we'd have several more commits by now. I am still very bullish and would say that we will snatch away a couple high rated guys from schools they are committed.

• Mavric changed the title to *** 2017 Recruiting ***