Something's Rotten in the State of Nebraska.

NUpolo8

I don't have much to say to the rest of your post other than talking about Clinkscales and Stringfellow and the like of players who committed to Nebraska, but switched. Clinkscales switched to Kansas State; if I'm remembering correctly, he grew up in Kansas and has family in Kansas. The allure of playing for the home team, especially if they've had recent success like Kansas State has, is powerful; and there's not much Nebraska could ethically do to keep him here.

Clinkscales committed to KSU because there were grade issues, and he wouldn't qualify at Nebraska.

• Fire 2

Beck needs to go. That's been clear for a while, and is more clear than ever now. I personally don't give a sh#t if it's tomorrow or at the end of the season, but he needs to pack his sh#t and head on out. Any offensive coordinator whose claim to fame is losing his mind and going full retard when the original offensive plan doesn't work is outright worthless in his position.

this seems obvious. but we had these same problems with watson. how many oc's will we go through before we address the one constant?

It's be pretty weird if the number was 4, wouldn't it?

• Fire 2

You nailed it, Polo, and it astonishes me that many of our fans seem okay with days like today (and all the other meltdowns and near-meltdowns).

Really? Where are you seeing that?

Yea I am wondering this too. I'm not okay with today's performance. A win is a win, but we should of dominated this team. We had no pressure on the QB on defense, and no holes from the OL. I swear if there is a major meltdown/blowout this year, I will really lose it... I can not take it anymore.

I don't have much to say to the rest of your post other than talking about Clinkscales and Stringfellow and the like of players who committed to Nebraska, but switched. Clinkscales switched to Kansas State; if I'm remembering correctly, he grew up in Kansas and has family in Kansas. The allure of playing for the home team, especially if they've had recent success like Kansas State has, is powerful; and there's not much Nebraska could ethically do to keep him here.

Clinkscales committed to KSU because there were grade issues, and he wouldn't qualify at Nebraska.

Irregardless, my point stands. Just used the wrong example.

You nailed it, Polo, and it astonishes me that many of our fans seem okay with days like today (and all the other meltdowns and near-meltdowns).

Everywhere on this board. "We'll be okay!" "It's only the second game of the season!" and all that bullsh#t.

Well, it is only the second game of the season. Trophies aren't awarded after two games. Only lost. And last I checked, we're still 2-0.

So I'm not allowed to give my opinion now? I must have missed those rule changes.

And yes, Shawn screwed the pooch. He had a good chunk of the fanbase pissed, and the media was calling for Bo's head, and he didn't pull the trigger.

you are allowed your opinion, and frankly i enjoy it, just as we are when it is critical and maybe even acerbic.

but, i just do not think the issue should be who should replace bo. the issue is, should bo be replaced. then we can worry about who replaced him. but i think the who is secondary, because it will always be a risk.

i still do not think he screwed the pooch, unlike that time i tried to avoid sexual relations with that jack russel, but i do think he missed a prime opportunity to dump bo. so maybe he did screw the pooch in not being prepared.

damn, this may be the second time today i ended up better seeing you point and agreeing.

See, I think the decision to replace Bo is partly tied to who you could get to replace him. My guess, is he (and certain boosters) didn't want to take the gamble.

I dunno...

Everywhere on this board. "We'll be okay!" "It's only the second game of the season!" and all that bullsh#t.

I don't see that as people being OK with what happened today, or any of the other replicas of today in the past six seasons. I see that as people just wanting to be fans and positive about the team.

• Fire 1

NUpolo8 is coming to you live from the West Coast watching the Michigan st vs Oregon game! You've heard of them I wager, two BCS caliber teams, two teams ranked in the top ten, two teams if given the chance, and one will, would likely embarrass our Nebraska Cornhuskers and scarcely break a sweat doing so.

More importantly, they're two teams that would never allow to happen to them what happened to Nebraska today. They'd have made damn sure they didn't need a possible career highlight from their all world running back to scrape out a win against a Division 1-AA team (calling it that is just easier).

-----I'll pause here so everyone can run to google, find Michigan St's narrow wins over Western. Michigan and South Florida last year, then post it on this thread as fast as they can, as if it somehow refutes and invalidates what I'm saying. Michigan St and Oregon are better than us, better coached than us and would likely make short work of us if play like today continues-----------

There, we're all back, and we need to discuss the endemic problem plaguing Nebraska football, until there are drastic, sweeping changes made on the coaching staff, probably including it's head coach, this is our fate. Nebraska's resurrection was greatly exaggerated. Our resurgence was a dead cat bounce in 2009 and 2010, only to return to the underachieving, mentally deficient, poorly led death marches of the mid 2000's. Nebraska is a team that wilts in the spotlight, needs statistical miracles to beat the McNeese St's, non bowl eligible Northwestern and the probation racked Penn St's of the world, but due to perhaps some of the easiest schedules in a conference that appears to be a class of one, they're allowed in the same rarified air of 9 wins by numbers only. All it takes is an opponent with a pulse, a prime time audience, or just a set of non myopic eyes to spot the difference between Oregon, Alabama and NU, but hey look, the number nine! Look how pretty!

Except the entire nation knows better, and it's time the greatest fans in football did too.

So those last few sentences probably riled up the last remaining "Bolievers" right good. (And let's just retire those two phrases, we are Nebraska fans and I'm done propping Bo Pelini up as something bigger than the University of Nebraska). So let's just file through the knee jerk excuses, most of which I've noticed have been addressed on this board.

-Tim Beck Sucks and it's His Fault

Last I checked Tim Beck is employed at the behest of Bo Pelini. In fact, I believe he gave him a raise before this year.

-Papuchis Doesn't Get It

See above. It applies.

-Tommy Armstrong Isn't Good Enough.

Tommy Armstrong is a 20 year old young adult playing a game the best he can hundreds of miles away from his home. There are few and far between the ones who walk straight in and immediately get it. So the choices for Bo Pelini and his staff are to either recruit in a fashion where they get those that do, or develop the talent that they have. The obvious way to do that would be with a dedicated QB coach, like the reigning National Champion has. Instead, our head coach decides to employ a full time TE coach, which happens to be a position his own OC called obsolete earlier this year. Seems odd considering QB play has been a gripe by many for every year of his tenure instead of his first.

-Look at Ameer and co. This team is Good

This team has talent. No question. I've said that all offseason. And they deserve better. Ameer deserves a full fledged Heisman campaign, but they don't give that award to 4+ loss teams. And that's what Nebraska is. Hell, without Ameer I'll say Bo is probably unemployed. Ameer should get part of his salary for saving his ass after today and Northwestern last year.

-Injuries are killing us

Honestly pay attention to the football landscape. Injuries happen to every team. The difference between the good teams is that they actually treat recruiting differently than our staff, which resembles a desperate junior in college cramming like crazy just before the finals to salvage a B-. Actually retaining the Clinkscales, Stringfellow's and the other targets of the world, let alone actually functioning at a scholarship level that doesn't resemble a team on probation helps depth. Oh, and giving free scholarships to the players that walk on and wouldn't see the field anywhere else on the level we all still think Nebraska should be probably shouldn't happen either.

-We could keep doing this forever but frankly it's redundant to our arguments over the offseason.-

Random Fun Fact! In Tom Osborne's seventh year, his team played New Mexico st, a very similar team to McNeese st, and won 57-0. He also went 10-2 that year.

Another random thing stands out to me immensely. An anonymous, non coach, moderator on this site was prescient enough to ask the question, "Is Nebraska good enough to keep the gas on for four quarters after a good victory?" It would appear the coach who is paid 3 million plus a year, and the players who have a full ride and some of the best facilities in the nation didn't have that ability.

Final random thought-- In 2005 Maine took Nebraska to the wire. It was Bill Callahan's second year and alarm bells sounded from Rosenblatt to Chimney Rock. Will it happen tomorrow? Or will only the good be promoted "for the sake of the program?"

This program needs some tough love. They need to be told those trophies in North Stadium do not belong to them. It belongs to the ones who put the work in, went above and beyond, and achieved. And it isn't apparently going to come from the coach not apologizing for nine wins and checking the twitter trends so he can serve up a delicious Bon mot during the national championship, as if that's somehow better than having his team playing in it. And it sadly isn't going to come from the media, either, as they've been bullied into a corner as well. I would hope the fans, considered some of the most knowledgeable in the nation, could offer up some, but I'm sure this will be met with ridicule and abuse, as if I'm part of the problem. If only I gave more money than I already do, stopped hurting recruiting, or just was a better sycophant/fan, or something.

Basically, I don't know where Nebraska goes from here, but it doesn't look good. Imagine East Lansing in a few weeks, or Autzen Stadium in a few years, or any random week this year where Nebraska looks like that again. And I have news, sports fans, if they turn in that performance against anyone else on our schedule this year, it's a loss.

Because that's reality, looking only at the 2-0 record that this team currently holds is anything but.

Here's hoping we can discuss reality.

Let me summarize your lengthy diatribe. You don't like Bo. You believe NU is still an elite football program. 9 wins sucks to you.

A whole page of bitching. Anybody can piss and moan. Come with solutions and make things interesting....not nearly as easy.

I've got ideas. Not sure why it's my job to do it for free when Bo is paid 8 figures to do it......

We aren't asking you to coach. Who do you hire? Why? Surely you don't suggest if someone offered you 8 figures tomorrow you could right the ship. Give us two solid ideas that aren't comprised totally of "fire xyz". Specifics please.

• Fire 1

Beck needs to go. That's been clear for a while, and is more clear than ever now. I personally don't give a sh#t if it's tomorrow or at the end of the season, but he needs to pack his sh#t and head on out. Any offensive coordinator whose claim to fame is losing his mind and going full retard when the original offensive plan doesn't work is outright worthless in his position.

this seems obvious. but we had these same problems with watson. how many oc's will we go through before we address the one constant?

I agree, but I'm fine with Bo if he can start making those hard changes that need to be made. Like canning one or both of the coordinators and bringing in outside, experienced guys. At the very least, I'd like to see what would happen if we started moving in that direction. Unfortunately, I've been saying that for a while and Pelini isn't showing any sign of taking those steps.

I actually think we'll play better for the rest of the season. I still think it'll be a decent one. But I think some steps need to be taken to move the program forward, starting with Beck leaving. If Bo is unwilling to do that, then it might be time to start shopping for someone to replace him.

But how does that mean we are okay with it? It is the second game of the season. I'll leave thoughts if we get blown out by someone.

I don't see that as people being OK with what happened today, or any of the other replicas of today in the past six seasons. I see that as people just wanting to be fans and positive about the team.

No Nebraska fan should not be furious after today.