48 Hours later...

Redux

So after 48 hours of stewing over Saturdays "game" I have arrived at this conclusion: We aren't that bad. I know, I know. The season is already over and blah blah. Hear me out. We got outplayed at home to a top ten FCS team and were lucky to escape with a win. That happened. Should it happen? No. Is it acceptable? Absolutely not. But it happened. Now we move past it and try to do what USC and Utah have already done. Knock the ever living crap outta Fresno State.

Lets face it. We were dangerously close to dropping a game to an FCS team for the first time ever. But really they are a pretty good team. After almost 8 quarters of play FAU has been outscored 96-7. FAU sucks. We did what we needed to and looked good doing it. McNeese State would absolutely piss pound the Owls. Not a doubt in my mind about that. Way faster on offense and way more athletic on defense. We all saw that. Our team took an FCS powerhouse lightly. That can't happen and likely wont happen again this year against any opponent.

Ive seen it mentioned that without A double we lose that game. Well who recruited Ameer? Bo and company. That same staff currently has 12 commits for the next class. That same staff brought in Randy Gregory who had to sit on the sideline and watch his defense struggle without him. Had he played the game probably goes alot differently. Our team is so damn talented and we didn't get to see that. We will this week, count on it.

We were about to be up 21-7 and steal the momentum away for good when Tommy threw a nasty pick. A pick that goes for 98 yards the other way? Thats enough juice to fuel any team to play pretty damn inspired. Obviously he needed to remind himself to be more careful. Glad he got it out of the way against the Cowboys. I would like to believe that won't happen again, not like that.

I'm still pretty disappointed with how we performed, but so is everyone. The wheels aren't off and we still have a long season ahead of us. Does Bo deserve to be fired? Hell no. He can't make the plays himself but he is responsible for the mind set they go into the game with. That's on him. He needs to get them motivated and ready to win this conference. Theres blood in the water dammit and this conference can be ours. This year, right now. We need to take it. Come on coach, brush it off, get the team ready, and lets win this friggin league.

GO BIG RED

• Fire 4

I of all people need convincing and feel a little down. That's bad news. nothings changed.

here's what I posted in another thread on my thoughts after saturday.....

I had that glimmer of hope after the first game. Now, not so much. I'm back to being solid on my 10-4 predicition. And here's what I think the process will be...

Saturday will prove to be a wake up call.

For now

We'll come out pissed and guns a blazin saturday night and all but roll Fresno St, and then we'll beat Miami kinda soundly. The kool-aid'll be pumpin for some again. Then we'll handle Illinois and me personally, just because this is the Bo era, thinks we'll even get a W in East Lansing. But this is where today's Nebraska becomes today's Nebraska. We're gonna lose at home to Rutgers or Purdue. LOL. i would say at Northwestern the week after the Mich St game, but I think that because 1)theyre too much of a dumpster fire for that to happen this year, or 2)because of whats happened against them in the past, that wouldnt be a surprising loss if it did happen. At this point, I think we lose to either Rutgers or Purdue just because. Then Wisconsin stomps our ass, and we'll probably lose to Iowa or Minnesota. If we dont lose two of them last 3, and god willing make the CCG, we'll get throttled there as well. Lose a bowl. 9 or 10-4 again. That's it.

Until someone changes the disc, this movie is just on a constant loop. Saturday was just another kick to my confidence.

• Fire 4

Again the point has been missed. Yea we have a chance at winning the conference. Right now, the winner will have no chance at playing in the playoff system. Currently we have no one in the top 10 I would guess. This win, will be remembered come December by anyone on that board with a favorite. Unless we start winning and winning big, this win will keep an undefeated Nebraska team out of the top 4 if there are four other undefeated teams. Most likely behind a 1 loss Pac 10 or SEC team.

Nebraska is about playing for NC's not hoping and praying we can squeak by and win the fifth rated conference in the country.

So yea we get to kiss a pig with lipstick on it, that is if we win this joke of a conference.

• Fire 2

Something I've been thinking about is the quality of team that McNeese State is. They are an FCS powerhouse. Hell, even after losing to us, they're still ranked 6th in the FCS. This is a team that's used to winning games, just like South Dakota State was in 2010 when we played them. McNeese State could beat any bottom feeding FBS team any day of the week and give most top teams a run for their money. That's they did to LSU a few years ago.

We played Idaho State in 2012, committed murder on a football field, and then proceeded to get murdered by Wisconsin in the B1G Championship Game. I don't think we should put too much stock into a game against an FCS team.

Thats exactly how it has played out for 6 seasons. Bo definitely needs to go to the next track sinc thhis ones scratched.

It doesnt have to playnout like that. There is no reason someone in that locker room cant step up and maintain team focus. I dont care if its a coach or a player. Someone can be that guy, who instills the confidence, who renews their focus, who drives home we need to give 110% every week.

Its no secret the Big Ten is officially an afterthought already. We need to not only take advantage, we need to toss Mufasa off the cliff and become King. We can do that. Braxton goes down and Urbans boys roll over. Michigan is as trashy lookin as ever. Sparty took a major confidence blow. Wiscy hasnt really been too impressive yet either. And Iowa is being Iowa to the max.

This can still be our year. Just need that spark to stay lit.

Again the point has been missed. Yea we have a chance at winning the conference. Right now, the winner will have no chance at playing in the playoff system. Currently we have no one in the top 10 I would guess. This win, will be remembered come December by anyone on that board with a favorite. Unless we start winning and winning big, this win will keep an undefeated Nebraska team out of the top 4 if there are four other undefeated teams. Most likely behind a 1 loss Pac 10 or SEC team.Nebraska is about playing for NC's not hoping and praying we can squeak by and win the fifth rated conference in the country.So yea we get to kiss a pig with lipstick on it, that is if we win this joke of a conference.

I dont give two craps about the playoff right now. If there are four other undefeated conference champs and we get left out, fine. At least we would still have something to bitch about next summer all the while gloating we kicked ass.

All we can do at this point is focus on winning our games. We cant control what our opponents do or dont do. We just need to win our games and let the chips fall where they may.

I think Wisconsin is a lot better than most here think. I watched that game with LSU. If they had not lost three of their starters in the 3rd and 4th quarters, they would have won that game. Two DL and their All American running back, might have had an affect on them.

If those kids are healed, they will be able to give anyone in this conference all they want.

• Fire 1

That is because you have begun the process of accepting Nebraska as an also ran, due to past records and displays on the field. You do not expect to win every game, nor do you demand it from the staff. It seems to be common now. Win 9 games we are like Bama and Oregon. I can not convince myself of that no matter how many times we win 9 games.

I am hoping we win the rest, but Saturday makes it look very hard. This program should not need a wake up call in the second game of the season. There should not have to be one person to change the mind set. Grasping at straws, excuses for 7 years of yea wait till next year.

• Fire 2

This game is about as close to meaningless as you can get when prognosticating the future of this team.

Especially considering 2010 Nebraska is probably the best team Bo has fielded, good enough to beat the #17 and #6 teams in the country and come just barely short of a conference championship against #10 Oklahoma, and that same team barely squeaked by South Dakota State.

• Fire 5

This still may be a very good team, but we need to start acting like it.

The coaches need to change what isn't working and stop telling us it's their fault when the same hiccups appear in schemes.

Players need to play with urgency on every play. Play every play like it's your last chance to win.

We need to stomp Fresno State and Miami. No more excuses about not being ready. These are the kind of teams we need to lay the woodshed on. Get it done!

This game is about as close to meaningless as you can get when prognosticating the future of this team.

Especially considering 2010 Nebraska is probably the best team Bo has fielded, good enough to beat the #17 and #6 teams in the country and come just barely short of a conference championship against #10 Oklahoma, and that same team barely squeaked by South Dakota State.

My estimate is based on much more than the last game. Bo has never coached a team that didn't lose 4 games, and I see no reason to expect any improvement this year, especially with all the injuries.