An analysis of OC Tim Beck.

Funny thing is, just about every bitch of what people think Beck doesn't do, he did in this game. It simply wasn't working.

Bitches I have heard:

It doesn't matter what you call if you are getting your azz kicked up front. Now, I think if Tommy could have connected on the short passes that were wide open to Ameer and Westercamp, the running game would have opened up more. But, he didn't.

Good post, +1. Tommy threw the ball into the shins of his receivers several times Saturday. The turf was soaking wet and Ameer couldn't get good cut backs (which is the forte of his running style).

The only real disagreement I had Saturday night was not trying to punch it into the end zone on our first drive. Other than that, I think Beck did all he could have done (but I do agree about being confused about the lack of the diamond).

One of Tim Beck's biggest downfalls is if it isn't working, keep doing it. I don't know how many times the last couple seasons we run that damn WR screen play relentlessly. It hardly works, yet we just keep running it. It's basically Tim Beck's go to play when nothing is working. I get that we were trying to spread the field out and make them dial back the blitz but they were ready for it every. single. time. Like others have said, run some play action, diamond formation or something else. When the play doesn't work the first few times, that should be the end of it unless you're going to throw it in once, maybe twice, randomly later in the game try to catch the defense off guard.

I don't know. I think we have the WR talent and finally a QB with the strong arm to execute that play well. Had to try something to open up running lanes for Ameer.

The diamond formation bit is getting harped on pretty hard. I think the bottom line is that our line just had a pretty terrible night. Makes it hard to do anything under those circumstances.

The coaches deserve a lot of heat for what happened Saturday night no doubt. But that Oline was absolutely terrible.

I would have been difficult for any OC or HC to call any effective plays when the center is snapping the ball whenever he feels like it, OG's are getting knocked over by invisible DT's, and Tackles can only block DE's if they hold.

They gave Ameer no room to run, Armstrong barely enough to no time to throw, and had so many mistakes they aren't deserving of being starters.

The defense deserves a lot of credit though. They basically had 3 bad plays. Our offense should have been able to make up for that. Especially with the starting field position they had.

I refuse to watch the game again. But for those who are brave enough, can we key in on something .. ?

With Cethan out, how often did we use any set with a TE in it? Of those times, how often did a TE actually run a route, and not sit in to block on a running play? Lastly, how many times did that TE run the seam down the middle of the field?

To me, running playaction to the TE running down the seam would have been the one play that could have given cushion to our RBs. With the MSU linebackers crashing down, and the safeties playing quarters or thirds, sneaking a TE down the middle of the field into the seam would surely force Sparty to back off.

But from what I can remember, I don't remember a single pass going into the seam down the middle of the field, especially to the TE. The one route I do remember was one 'Zo ran inside the red zone, in which he was wide open, and Tommy didn't even look at him.

I know Cethan is fully capable as a receiver, if we'd use him more frequently. But if Cotton, Hart, and those guys aren't capable, or we aren't willing to use them, then why are we wasting scholarships there?

Buster:

People bitch about Beck not sticking to the run game because he goes away from it when it's working. People bitch about him sticking too much too it because he does it when it's NOT working. The gripes on Tim Beck are not philosophical. Theyre situational. Too many times it becomes obvious to the most casual fans what we could to make this work or do something here, and he proceeds to do the opposite. Then this year he seemed to finally have it figured out. He "reinvented himself" as some have said. Until of course we had to play the most important game of the year and goes into bonehead mode again.

• Fire 1

My biggest complaint with Beck is how unimaginative our run game is. It's great when the same few run plays work against the Fresno States of the world, but when Michigan State knows exactly where we're going, and they're there before we are, we have them set up perfectly for misdirection, but it just doesn't appear to be in the playbook.

That, and his salary.

• Fire 1

Buster:

People bitch about Beck not sticking to the run game because he goes away from it when it's working. People bitch about him sticking too much too it because he does it when it's NOT working. The gripes on Tim Beck are not philosophical. Theyre situational. Too many times it becomes obvious to the most casual fans what we could to make this work or do something here, and he proceeds to do the opposite. Then this year he seemed to finally have it figured out. He "reinvented himself" as some have said. Until of course we had to play the most important game of the year and goes into bonehead mode again.

Maybe some are like that but some aren't.

There have been bitches about the McNeese State game that he didn't stick to running Ameer more and just pounding the ball until they finally wore out.

Funny thing is, just about every bitch of what people think Beck doesn't do, he did in this game. It simply wasn't working.

Bitches I have heard:

a) He isn't committed to the run game...hmmmm...he sure seemed to be committed to it most of the game.

b) He doesn't adjust during games.....Hmmmmm....well, he adjusted and went to more of a passing attack when it was proven the run wasn't working.

c) He doesn't do short routes...hmmm...he called them but they weren't completed.

d) He doesn't use his full backs...hmmmm...we saw a full back pass in this game.

e) He never calls a screen pass...hmmm...I saw a few.

f) He isn't creative on how to get Ameer the ball....Hmmm...I remember a number of plays I had never seen for Ameer in this game trying to get him the ball in space.

g) bla bla bla bla......

It doesn't matter what you call if you are getting your azz kicked up front. Now, I think if Tommy could have connected on the short passes that were wide open to Ameer and Westercamp, the running game would have opened up more. But, he didn't.

You sound like Sipple trying to place no accountability on Beck. I think B, D, and F in your list above were NOT demonstrated in Saturday's game. The adjustments made late in the game came way too late. Also, we have 2 other RB with playing time besides AA....can you tell me how often they were used in multi-back formations or a jet sweep...or any sort of rushing attack that mixed it up. Indeed TA and the O-line deserve much blame, but to suggest Beck does not is absurd.

• Fire 1

Bitches I have heard:

a) He isn't committed to the run game...hmmmm...he sure seemed to be committed to it most of the game.

b) He doesn't adjust during games.....Hmmmmm....well, he adjusted and went to more of a passing attack when it was proven the run wasn't working.What do you call it then when MSU was selling out to stop the run so we started throwing WR screens. Then, when those were being shut down, we ran wheel routes with both Westercamp and Ameer.

c) He doesn't do short routes...hmmm...he called them but they weren't completed.

d) He doesn't use his full backs...hmmmm...we saw a full back pass in this game. I will somewhat give you this one because we only saw it once in the game.

f) He isn't creative on how to get Ameer the ball....Hmmm...I remember a number of plays I had never seen for Ameer in this game trying to get him the ball in space. Really? We saw him running passing routes we had never seen before. Several of them would have gone for significant yards if the ball actually gets to him and he catches the ball.

g) bla bla bla bla......

You sound like Sipple trying to place no accountability on Beck. I think B, D, and F in your list above were NOT demonstrated in Saturday's game. The adjustments made late in the game came way too late. Also, we have 2 other RB with playing time besides AA....can you tell me how often they were used in multi-back formations or a jet sweep...or any sort of rushing attack that mixed it up. Indeed TA and the O-line deserve much blame, but to suggest Beck does not is absurd.

No, I don't take all blame way from Beck. The production of the offense falls on his shoulders. However, my point is, people bitch about stuff that either isn't true or different people are bitching about the complete opposite things.

I'll give you another perfect example.

People bitch about "Beck never uses the middle of the field in passing routes". Hmmm...does the facts support that? We have had multiple TDS over the last couple seasons on routes ran down the middle of the field. Also, if you rematch the game, there were routes being ran in the middle of the field Saturday. Now, the question is, why isn't Tommy throwing to them? Is he not comfortable with that throw? Is it that he has a hard time seeing those players as being open? I don't know the answer to that. But, to say..."Beck never uses the middle of the field" just isn't held up by facts.

Bitches I have heard:

b) He doesn't adjust during games.....Hmmmmm....well, he adjusted and went to more of a passing attack when it was proven the run wasn't working.What do you call it then when MSU was selling out to stop the run so we started throwing WR screens. Then, when those were being shut down, we ran wheel routes with both Westercamp and Ameer.

d) He doesn't use his full backs...hmmmm...we saw a full back pass in this game. I will somewhat give you this one because we only saw it once in the game.

f) He isn't creative on how to get Ameer the ball....Hmmm...I remember a number of plays I had never seen for Ameer in this game trying to get him the ball in space. Really? We saw him running passing routes we had never seen before. Several of them would have gone for significant yards if the ball actually gets to him and he catches the ball.

g) bla bla bla bla......

No, I don't take all blame way from Beck. The production of the offense falls on his shoulders. However, my point is, people bitch about stuff that either isn't true or different people are bitching about the complete opposite things.

People bitch about "Beck never uses the middle of the field in passing routes". Hmmm...does the facts support that? We have had multiple TDS over the last couple seasons on routes ran down the middle of the field. Also, if you rematch the game, there were routes being ran in the middle of the field Saturday. Now, the question is, why isn't Tommy throwing to them? Is he not comfortable with that throw? Is it that he has a hard time seeing those players as being open? I don't know the answer to that. But, to say..."Beck never uses the middle of the field" just isn't held up by facts.

On the other hand there is a progression, which mainly starts with the outside. When we do use the middle it is 20+ yards down the field. We very seldom throw the slant pass. We also do not utilize our TE or Backs enough in the passing game. Due to our poor line play, we should have been throwing the quick passes before the 4th quarter.

Bitches I have heard:

g) bla bla bla bla......

On the other hand there is a progression, which mainly starts with the outside. When we do use the middle it is 20+ yards down the field. We very seldom throw the slant pass. We also do not utilize our TE or Backs enough in the passing game. Due to our poor line play, we should have been throwing the quick passes before the 4th quarter.

I agree with this part. However, there were receivers in that "less than 20 yards down field" zone earlier in the game.

Bitches I have heard:

g) bla bla bla bla......

I agree with this part. However, there were receivers in that "less than 20 yards down field" zone earlier in the game.

Were they running routes or blocking? It appeared that the pass was not part of the game plan early.