Randy Gregory health?

Man, it would suck dongle to actually be a Fresno State player and call that kiln of a stadium home.

I buy it 100%. He hadn't practiced that much and being a big guy in that heat, it can get the best of you. Especially if he wasn't hydrating.

i buy it, too. but how were they not hydrating? they knew the game was going to essentially be played in an oven. maybe they just could not keep up with hydrating? or he was suffering from something closer to heat stroke/exhaustion? if he was feeling ill. (i am not a medical doctor).

He also sat out for a week/week and a half which hurt him from a conditioning perspective.

again, i come from a naturally strong-minded family, but i am not a medical doctor.

i go back and forth on this. are they that fine-tuned that a week off would set them back so much? or are they so conditioned that a week off rolls of their shoulders? i do not know.

+1 because naturally, that was a naturally strong description of yourself SD.

• Fire 1

>> Defensive end Randy Gregory said he's good to go for Saturday and doesn't expect to get winded and dehydrated like he was at Fresno State. Gregory just sort of grinned when asked if he'd play more than he did against the Bulldogs.
“Yeah,” he said. “Yeah, I think so. I mean, I think I'll be ready to go.”

I think this is the OWH quote Eric is referring to in the OP. Gregory doesn't sound overly optimistic about his health. “Yeah, I think so. I mean, I think I'll be ready to go.” Or maybe I'm reading too much into it. Guess well find out on Saturday.

i go back and forth on this. are they that fine-tuned that a week off would set them back so much? or are they so conditioned that a week off rolls of their shoulders? i do not know.

I think it's a combination of things. Pelini was talking before they left about the plans they had to keep hydrated on a travel week so it's obviously something they were concerned about and tried to deal with. Behind in conditioning + travel + 100+ degree heat = easy to get dehydrated. Seems like there was maybe one other player who cramped up (McMullen?) but other than that I thought we handled the heat very well.

unfortunately they really are that finely tuned. A week to 10 days of light conditioning can really take your conditioning back a little.

>> Defensive end Randy Gregory said he's good to go for Saturday and doesn't expect to get winded and dehydrated like he was at Fresno State. Gregory just sort of grinned when asked if he'd play more than he did against the Bulldogs.

I think this is the OWH quote Eric is referring to in the OP. Gregory doesn't sound overly optimistic about his health. “Yeah, I think so. I mean, I think I'll be ready to go.” Or maybe I'm reading too much into it. Guess well find out on Saturday.

Watching his post-practice interview, I sensed more optimism. The response wasn't exactly poetry; watching the interview made me feel better than reading the transcript.

Watching his post-practice interview, I sensed more optimism. The response wasn't exactly poetry; watching the interview made me feel better than reading the transcript.

Yeah, it's hard to say from reading a quote in the paper (blog) since they're written for clicks not accuracy. I'd trust the post practice interview more. But I didn't see it.

I think Gregory was having problems with his conditioning at Fresno. I don't think it's a big deal, and I am sure it will improve over the season. The coaches commented that he added some weight in the off-season, so he is still probably trying to play with that added weight. That weight doesn't seem to have hindered his speed and quickness during play, but it could have an impact on his stamina.

Also, he probably wasn't able to do much conditioning work while he was recovering from his knee surgery. Yeah, he could be riding a bike on the sidelines during practice, but that doesn't replicate game situations, where it's a short period of sprints/bursts/physical matchups.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned, unless I missed it, is his body composition. His high percentage of lean muscle mass can lead to cramping and over-heating more quickly than those athletes that carry more fat cells. Muscle generates substantial amounts of heat and in high humidity situations, it causes high levels of perspiration. That, combined with not doing a lot with conditioning for a week and a half, is probably our main culprit here.

I do feel, as many posters have stated, his knee is good at this point. Surviving the cut blocking injury-free combined with him playing standing up in space without a single twinge says he is good to go on that knee.