Ideas for improving the defense

Dagerow

My take:

I think Bo's defensive scheme is great, but think to make it work against speed teams, we need a least one very quick LB (even in the dime/nickel package). I understand the need for bigger guys in the big10 and why we have recruited the way we have, but we won't always play big10/power teams. One speed lb would make a huge difference in a lot of games, and also help with addressing a mobile qb. (This doesn't mean we need a speed lb to start every game. It means we should have one available if the need arises).

Last night wasn't a issue with speed but rather an issue with the MIKE just not recognizing his coverage assignment quick enough. Not taking away from Johnsons speed, but Bando struggled pretty heavily.

We don't really need "more speed" but rather someone at MIKE that can process the game faster. Bando I think has the physical talent for the task, he just seems a step behind. He works hard, he just doesn't quite have "IT" when it comes to processing the game faster, hitting the right holes and recognizing the coverage from the backfield.

Compton had the same problem. That dude had the physical attributes you could ask for in a LB. He just was a step behind mentally. Granted a split second behind, but that split second is huge.

Also, give credit to Miami for recognizing that matchup. They knew that was always going to be the matchup, MIKE vs RB out of backfield. We had issues with it against Wyoming last year too. Bo finds ways to fix it, there's no reason he won't this year. But credit Miami, Duke Johnson, and Kayaa for taking advantage of that matchup when they did.

• Fire 1

Banderas should not be playing right now, at least against teams who spread us out. I will admit, I'm prone to dislike him because of his off the field issues, but even barring that... he was terrible last night. He wasn't a step slow, he was 2 steps. When he was in a spot to make a tackle, he whiffed. He reminds me so much of Stafford - it's like he just bounces off people. It's hard to explain because it seems so weird to say, but it's as if his pads are a bouncy house - every time he goes for a tackle, he just bounces off the runner. He cost us 50+ yards in the first half alone just on easily made tackles that he whiffed on.

Maybe it wouldn't work in the B1G schedule, I obviously don't know. But I would like to see us go 'nickel' with any of the 3 following on the field at any time: Anderson/Santos/Kalu/Cockrell/Roach. This is even if they are playing teams with 2 TE's. Those guys have all shown flashes (some more than others) and I think they are our 5 best players at the mid level of the field.

My personal opinion is that Banderas is too slow to match a RBs speed out of the backfield. I think Roach is a bit quicker and processes the game quicker. Even still against Illinois and Wisconsin, that RB vs MIKE is going to be a mis-match. Finding a scheme to prevent that is going to be difficult, perhaps just align out LBs wider might help?? Maybe have our LBs play more of a zone instead of man on passing plays?? I don't know the X's and O's very well, so these are complete guesses.

Collins, Valentine, and McMullen will have to step up. With as much attention offenses pay to Gregory, there should be plenty for the taking. They have all shown flashes of being dominant, but if we want the defense to dominate, they'll have to do it consistently. I'm not saying they've played poorly, not by any stretch, but if we want a dominant defense it all starts up front. If it seems like I'm holding the defensive line to a higher standard, it's because I believe they're very talented and are capable of playing at a higher level. So yes, maybe they need to hold themselves to a higher standard. Maybe Miami will be the spark.

Middle linebacker is a concern. I think Roach has earned a shot. He may not be the answer, but at this point it can't hurt too much to experiment a little. Where's Zaire?

I'd like to see the Secondary play the ball more often in man coverage. I think it will come with time, they're still gelling. They've played well to this point, all things considered.

Honestly, I think Bo could do a better job adjusting his scheme to gameplan for opposing offenses a lot of the time.

I think we should look back at our D against Tennessee in the '98 Orange Bowl. On a lot of plays, they lined up right on the line of scrimmage as if they were going to rush, but more often than naught dropped back into zone coverage. I think running something good like that would be pretty fun. First of all, it would completely disrupt the blocking assignments of the o-line. Next, it would allow us to bring pressure from any one of them (or from a corner) without telegraphing it. Finally, it would allow us to rotate coverage into a three deep look by having one OLB drop into a flat/buzz zone on one side of the field, which would allow the corner on that side to drop deep as needed. The two high safeties would shift away from that side while staying a little deeper than the deepest receiver in their third of the field. The corner on the opposite side would play a buzz/flat zone as well, and either the MLB or the other OLB could be brought on a blitz with whoever isn't blitzing dropping into a 10 yard deep zone over the middle. The buzz/flat zones would be ideally at 7 yards deep, but flexible depending on what routes are going through that area. This defensive play is a zone blitz variant of the Tampa 2 defense, which is very similar to what Pelini already runs.

Another variant would be for the SS to drop down into the box and do a delayed a-gap blitz. Will LB would blitz from the outside. Sam LB would shift to a flat/buzz zone. Strong side CB drops into deep zone with FS on opposite side for a 2 deep look. Weak side CB plays flat/buzz zone. MLB drops into 10 yard zone. Or alternatively, you could have the SS play a 10 yard zone and double A-gap blitz the MLB and WLB. Or really blitz from anywhere, just rotating coverage to fill in for whoever is blitzing. You can do a lot of variations from the same look and get the same coverage while bringing different play makers from different spots on the field. Personally, I'd like to see Marcus Newby lined up as an OLB and blitz from the same side that Gregory is on. With someone blitzing the A-gap as well, someone on our line is going to get through with only a RB in pass coverage to beat. :D

Hope this helps!

I think we should look back at our D against Tennessee in the '98 Orange Bowl. On a lot of plays, they lined up right on the line of scrimmage as if they were going to rush, but more often than naught dropped back into zone coverage. I think running something good like that would be pretty fun. First of all, it would completely disrupt the blocking assignments of the o-line. Next, it would allow us to bring pressure from any one of them (or from a corner) without telegraphing it. Finally, it would allow us to rotate coverage into a three deep look by having one OLB drop into a flat/buzz zone on one side of the field, which would allow the corner on that side to drop deep as needed. The two high safeties would shift away from that side while staying a little deeper than the deepest receiver in their third of the field. The corner on the opposite side would play a buzz/flat zone as well, and either the MLB or the other OLB could be brought on a blitz with whoever isn't blitzing dropping into a 10 yard deep zone over the middle. The buzz/flat zones would be ideally at 7 yards deep, but flexible depending on what routes are going through that area. This defensive play is a zone blitz variant of the Tampa 2 defense, which is very similar to what Pelini already runs.

Another variant would be for the SS to drop down into the box and do a delayed a-gap blitz. Will LB would blitz from the outside. Sam LB would shift to a flat/buzz zone. Strong side CB drops into deep zone with FS on opposite side for a 2 deep look. Weak side CB plays flat/buzz zone. MLB drops into 10 yard zone. Or alternatively, you could have the SS play a 10 yard zone and double A-gap blitz the MLB and WLB. Or really blitz from anywhere, just rotating coverage to fill in for whoever is blitzing. You can do a lot of variations from the same look and get the same coverage while bringing different play makers from different spots on the field. Personally, I'd like to see Marcus Newby lined up as an OLB and blitz from the same side that Gregory is on. With someone blitzing the A-gap as well, someone on our line is going to get through with only a RB in pass coverage to beat. :D

Hope this helps!

the only issue with that is colorado exposed and ended them shenanigans on black friday nearly 15 years ago.
  • Fire 1

Maybe it wouldn't work in the B1G schedule, I obviously don't know. But I would like to see us go 'nickel' with any of the 3 following on the field at any time: Anderson/Santos/Kalu/Cockrell/Roach. This is even if they are playing teams with 2 TE's. Those guys have all shown flashes (some more than others) and I think they are our 5 best players at the mid level of the field.

We played plenty of Nickel and even Dime last night. We mixed and matched, as we always will with teams that like to spread us out. The issue still relies on the MIKE, which is always out there regardless of Nickel and Dime packages. I think it may be safe to say that we all miss Michael Rose-Ivey. Our defense really started to get really good last year when he became the starter.

I know everyone is probably asking "can we move (super talented athlete) into the MIKE"? The answer is No. We all can pretty much agree that we like the way Santos is playing right? He played well last year too, once he moved to his natural position of BUCK. But we started him at MIKE last year, and he didn't have it. Which is why we struggled so much in the beginning of the year. Santos is a solid athlete with a lot of great attributes. I can see why Bo started him over Bando and Rose-Ivey (formally just Rose). He had experience (having started a few games the year previously). Anyway, it's hard to just input anyone in there, because it just takes the right mindset at the MIKE position in our scheme. I love Bo's scheme, always have. I especially love how much fun he has with Gregory and varies the way he uses Gregory to keep the offense guessing.

Hope this helps!

This is great, it really is. I truly enjoy your insight, and it's refreshing to see someone on here understanding the game. But (sorry there's a but...) IMHO it actually doesn't solve the one issue I saw last night. Which is Duke Johnson's receptions out of the backfield. I love the idea of getting Newby and Gregory on the same side. But that would be dependent on who we are playing and what play they run out of what formation. I can see a number of issues with this. For one, I have never seen Newby in coverage. Would he know how to adjust to coverage if they shift or audible into another play? They could practice this, and refine his knowledge of playing OLB, but why not spend that time refining his skills at the position he plays? There's a TON of potential for Newby though, and I see him and us getting him into the right positions to make plays eventually.

I know we've thrown Gregory into coverage, but he actually covers very well. He has the natural knack to know where the ball is going, kind of like how Lavonte David had.

I think it's important to also note that Miami's game plan and plays with Duke coming out of the backfield and taking advantage of the one-on-one with the MIKE. He was the primary receiver on those plays. They designed the play to clear the space around that matchup. If he's open or even somewhat open, Kayaa's throwing the ball to him. If he wasn't, they throw elsewhere. Unfortunately for us, he was open on a few of those plays. Credit should go to Kayaa for throwing well, Duke for catching and running well, but mostly, whomever drew that play up designed around the LB-RB matchup. However, we should note, it didn't work enough, we still won the game...

• Fire 1

In my opinion the issue is with Els. The LBs just don't seem to improve. The area's Els has been overseeing have tended to be our weak links. LBs and last year Special teams. I don't know all the particulars on who is doing what, however as Barrett Ruud is on the staff in some capacity, the LBs need to be spending a hell of a lot of time picking his brain, and in the film room learning to watch film correctly.