#19 in AP poll

So here's the deal:

Next week

#6 Texas A&M travels to #12 Mississippi State.

#3 Alabama travels to #11 Ole Miss

#14 Stanford travels to #9 Notre Dame

#15 LSU travels to #5 Auburn

#4 Oklahoma travels to #25 TCU

#19 Nebraska travels to #10 Michigan State

Hell,

#17 Wisconsin travels to Northwestern

Arizona State travels to #16 USC

Arizona travels to #2 Oregon

Utah travels to #8 UCLA

Mississippi State is good and they have experience and they'll have the home crowd behind them. I think the Bulldogs get the win.

Mississippi is good, but they've been vulnerable to both Boise State and Memphis before relying on 4th quarter rallies to make the margin larger than it truly was. Alabama is a different test, but they have concerns of their own. This will be Blake Sims's first true test (sorry Florida). I think Bama gets by, but not by much.

Stanford is pretty overrated at #14. I think they lose in South Bend.

Auburn handles an overrated LSU team.

Oklahoma gets a close win against a better-than-advertised TCU team.

Wisconsin wins.

Arizona State recovers nicely and beats a vanilla USC team.

Oregon wins.

UCLA wins.

Those results, along with a Husker win, means 4 teams ranked ahead of us lose. And a win over Michigan State will hold some weight with the coaches and media and will only be aided by the fact that we would be undefeated. We take care of business against MSU, we move to the edge of the Top 10 and won't go down if we keep winning.

The SEC justifies their poll bias by association 'we play against Bama/LSU therefore we are in the their tier.' But the middle of their conference doesn't play like that so they shouldn't get the benefit of the doubt.

And the polls will matter plenty when comparing 11-1 teams in Nov. They are going to chirp "we beat #9 South Carolina, who'd you beat?'

Yep. I have notice that they never seem to talk about where those teams are at now, but where they were when they played. If Miami goes on to win their division it won't hold weight because they had already lost early and weren't ranked when we played them. On the other hand, Bama will tote they beat #11 Ole Miss in their house even after they are 7-5 and ranked #25 (Of course they would still be ranked).

:dunno Don't ask me, mainly opinion polls. When we win against Sparty, we will not go to far up the polls and Sparty will remain in the top ten. Oh well, life goes on.

Yeah... IF we win, Sparty will be top 20, but definitely not top 10. Since we'll still be undefeated we should make a huge jump. Not sure if you're being serious.

If we beat them, they'll drop to about 18 and we'll move up 3 spots to 16.

If we lose, we drop out of the top 25 and they stay where they are, perhaps moving ahead of any non top 5 team that gets its first loss. Incredible biased S^&% voters on the AP poll.

Human polls are fraught with bias and fuzzy logic-- no denying that. Bias is what human beings do best. But I don't see any particular SEC bias being manifested in the current AP poll to any large degree. If you look at the unbiased systems (systems that do not give any input/weight to conference, "prestige", tradition, etc., only results: http://www.masseyratings.com/cf/compare.htm), there are five SEC teams in the top 10. Georgia is the only SEC team that is, in comparison, notably overrated in the AP (13th vs. 18th). Most of the top 25 SEC teams are actually lower in the AP than in the computers.

The most overrated teams in the AP (vs. unbiased) are Wisconsin (Big 10, 17th vs. 24th), Ohio St. (Big 10, 20th vs. 27th) and East Carolina (American, 22nd vs. 29th), all seven spots higher in the AP poll.

FWIW - TCU and Nebraska are currently the most underrated. Nebraska is 12th in the computers.

• Fire 1

Human polls are fraught with bias and fuzzy logic-- no denying that. Bias is what human beings do best. But I don't see any particular SEC bias being manifested in the current AP poll to any large degree. If you look at the unbiased systems (systems that do not give any input/weight to conference, "prestige", tradition, etc., only results: http://www.masseyratings.com/cf/compare.htm), there are five SEC teams in the top 10. Georgia is the only SEC team that is, in comparison, notably overrated in the AP (13th vs. 18th). Most of the top 25 SEC teams are actually lower in the AP than in the computers.

The most overrated teams in the AP (vs. unbiased) are Wisconsin (Big 10, 17th vs. 24th), Ohio St. (Big 10, 20th vs. 27th) and East Carolina (American, 22nd vs. 29th), all seven spots higher in the AP poll.

FWIW - TCU and Nebraska are currently the most underrated. Nebraska is 12th in the computers.

Where do the computer rankings come from? How do they figure so many SEC teams are top 10 when nobody's really played much of anybody yet?

Where do the computer rankings come from? How do they figure so many SEC teams are top 10 when nobody's really played much of anybody yet?

I'm not sure specifically what you're asking. They use the scores of the 300 or so FBS games played so far. Some computer rankings don't publish until October when they have a more sufficient set of data to connect all teams. There are a solid 50 or so publishing now. Obviously the more games we get, the better connected teams become and the better these systems can assess where they stand in relation.

:dunno Don't ask me, mainly opinion polls. When we win against Sparty, we will not go to far up the polls and Sparty will remain in the top ten. Oh well, life goes on.

Yeah... IF we win, Sparty will be top 20, but definitely not top 10. Since we'll still be undefeated we should make a huge jump. Not sure if you're being serious.

IF we beat MSU we will sniff the top 10. Probably at 11-13. Big IF and we can't take anyone for granted after that. Northwestern even showed they have a pulse.

Tough to blame the polsters for taking a "wait and see" approach with us.

Everyone is wait and see is correct - We will win and it will not matter because we may move up 1 or two spots.

We will win in Sparty town - a huge jump in the polls? I would not bet on a huge jump because the perception of Huskers will lose 4 games by the experts and some fans remember. Yes, a little sarcasm alone the way too. Polls are Sh*t.

Sorry for double post

Edited by NebraskaShellback

With a win against MSU, we would pass:

MSU

USC

Wisconsin

Stanford/ND loser

Miss St. with loss

Ole Miss with loss

LSU with loss

With an impressive win (>14 points or so), we would also pass:

TAMU with loss

Auburn with loss

Georgia

That's at least four spots and up to eight spots (or more if UCLA and/or BYU get upset). So we should be in the 11-15 range with a win.

Kind of a crime, really. A 6-0 Nebraska team that just beat Michigan State ought to be in the Top 10. Heck, we should be in the Top 15 currently. Miami's not the greatest, but they're not chopped liver either, and we completely demolished them -- the way a *good* Top 15 team does to Top 40 teams.

With a win against MSU, we would pass:

MSU

USC

Wisconsin

Stanford/ND loser

Miss St. with loss

Ole Miss with loss

LSU with loss

With an impressive win (>14 points or so), we would also pass:

TAMU with loss

Auburn with loss

Georgia

That's at least four spots and up to eight spots (or more if UCLA and/or BYU get upset). So we should be in the 11-15 range with a win.

Okay, so we are already ranked #19 and need to beat a Top 10 team and have multiple other teams need to lose for us to sniff the Top 15. However, an unranked Miss St can edge pass #8 LSU, and land at #12, even though the rest of their schedule has been a joke? No bias there.

Edit: I'm not trying to flip you crap JTrain with my comments, just annoyed by the bias.