#19 in AP poll

Human polls are fraught with bias and fuzzy logic-- no denying that. Bias is what human beings do best. But I don't see any particular SEC bias being manifested in the current AP poll to any large degree. If you look at the unbiased systems (systems that do not give any input/weight to conference, "prestige", tradition, etc., only results: http://www.masseyratings.com/cf/compare.htm), there are five SEC teams in the top 10. Georgia is the only SEC team that is, in comparison, notably overrated in the AP (13th vs. 18th). Most of the top 25 SEC teams are actually lower in the AP than in the computers.

The most overrated teams in the AP (vs. unbiased) are Wisconsin (Big 10, 17th vs. 24th), Ohio St. (Big 10, 20th vs. 27th) and East Carolina (American, 22nd vs. 29th), all seven spots higher in the AP poll.

FWIW - TCU and Nebraska are currently the most underrated. Nebraska is 12th in the computers.

Where do the computer rankings come from? How do they figure so many SEC teams are top 10 when nobody's really played much of anybody yet?

I'm not sure specifically what you're asking. They use the scores of the 300 or so FBS games played so far. Some computer rankings don't publish until October when they have a more sufficient set of data to connect all teams. There are a solid 50 or so publishing now. Obviously the more games we get, the better connected teams become and the better these systems can assess where they stand in relation.

I'm asking where they come up with the numbers on why a win over one team is better than a win over another? If it's strength of schedule (Team A is 4-1 and has played 5 teams with a combined record of 15-10 and Team B is 4-1 and has played 5 teams with a combined record of 14-11) It's still just based on outcomes that are going to change.

That said the computer/coaches system still has a week 1 poll. FSU had over 1500 1st place votes in the coaches poll in week one. How did a computer determine that? Florida state's combined opponent record was 0-1 same as every other team that won their opening game...

Human polls are fraught with bias and fuzzy logic-- no denying that. Bias is what human beings do best. But I don't see any particular SEC bias being manifested in the current AP poll to any large degree. If you look at the unbiased systems (systems that do not give any input/weight to conference, "prestige", tradition, etc., only results: http://www.masseyratings.com/cf/compare.htm), there are five SEC teams in the top 10. Georgia is the only SEC team that is, in comparison, notably overrated in the AP (13th vs. 18th). Most of the top 25 SEC teams are actually lower in the AP than in the computers.

The most overrated teams in the AP (vs. unbiased) are Wisconsin (Big 10, 17th vs. 24th), Ohio St. (Big 10, 20th vs. 27th) and East Carolina (American, 22nd vs. 29th), all seven spots higher in the AP poll.

FWIW - TCU and Nebraska are currently the most underrated. Nebraska is 12th in the computers.

Where do the computer rankings come from? How do they figure so many SEC teams are top 10 when nobody's really played much of anybody yet?

I'm not sure specifically what you're asking. They use the scores of the 300 or so FBS games played so far. Some computer rankings don't publish until October when they have a more sufficient set of data to connect all teams. There are a solid 50 or so publishing now. Obviously the more games we get, the better connected teams become and the better these systems can assess where they stand in relation.

I'm asking where they come up with the numbers on why a win over one team is better than a win over another? If it's strength of schedule (Team A is 4-1 and has played 5 teams with a combined record of 15-10 and Team B is 4-1 and has played 5 teams with a combined record of 14-11) It's still just based on outcomes that are going to change.

That said the computer/coaches system still has a week 1 poll. FSU had over 1500 1st place votes in the coaches poll in week one. How did a computer determine that? Florida state's combined opponent record was 0-1 same as every other team that won their opening game...

I'm assuming they use things like... what was the team's record the previous year? How do teams with that record usually perform the following year? Did any of their coaches leave? What percentage of their players are returning? What percentage of their point-scorers are returning?

The coaches poll has nothing whatsoever to do with computers.

Here's the problem, guys -- IF we go to East Lansing and beat MSU on Saturday, we just killed the only piece of glimmer the B1G has. MSU falls to 3-2, beat by inferior Nebraska. MSU's early close game with Oregon gets dismissed as a sluggish start by Oregon, and the B1G has no legitimacy left at all. (Even with a hypothetical then 6-0 Nebraska) They'll just drop Michigan State all the way down to #20+ or out of the polls completely and move us up the 1 spot vacated by them, #18. If anyone above us loses we could slide up those as well, but I just don't see ESPN saying, "Oh, Nebraska is the new Michigan State. They're now the ones on the outside of the playoffs looking in."

That all said - this is 100% on us. It's not the pollsters fault we've lost 4 games every year in recent history. As it's been said over and over again - JUST WIN. Historically speaking, even if 2014 Nebraska beats both Michigan State and Wisconsin, it will piss itself against Iowa or Rutgers.

Anybody else notice LSU jumped five spots after a win against nmsu? I mean, really? Holy craps do I not get pollsters.

No, nobody noticed that because it didn't happen.

He might be referring to ESPN's Football Power Rankings where they went up 5 spots. They went up 2 spots in the AP and 3 in the Coaches.

Attention trouble:

Please throw any weight you thought those lame idiotic Power rankings had. That's an ESPN-centric ranking, and just like their stupid Football Power Index, is totally subjective. They have free reign to assign whatever number to whatever team they please. It is totally biased though... they're not in the business of being objective. They're protecting their brand strictly for cash and ratings, and their brand is the SEC.

The SEC can fool the computers a little with bodybag wins. Those make their conference wins seem less bad and deprives the computers of results that might drop them. An example is how the computers rank South Carolina still in the top 25, well their only losses are to SEC teams, and those teams just happen to have good records (computers don't know IU is IU yet).

Kind of a crime, really. A 6-0 Nebraska team that just beat Michigan State ought to be in the Top 10. Heck, we should be in the Top 15 currently. Miami's not the greatest, but they're not chopped liver either, and we completely demolished them -- the way a *good* Top 15 team does to Top 40 teams.

Completely demolished? I don't think many people would stretch the verb that far.