O-Line

A large part of our problem in the pass game seemed to me to be perimeter rushing which has been a problem for us forever. It seemed to me they were lining up waaaaay wide with the DE and all he had to do was pat down sterups hands and go on to the qb. Later it seemed like they told tommy to stay close to flatten the de angle of attack, sometimes it seemed like tommy was about one or two yards from the LOS when passing. As far as the run game we basically got no push and no hats at all on the linebackers and unlike previous weeks these backers and safeties could run ameer down and tackle him.

I have been saying for a long time that the S&C coach needs to go. We used to build our line in the weight room.

T_O_B

Well, to your point... we now have Boyd Eppley back in the athletic department in a full-time position. I was so relieved upon hearing this, because he should have an immediate impact on strength and conditioning I would think? If the football staff were smart anyway they would take any suggestions he has to heart! Not to, would be very dumb. Let's just hope certain people's ego's are set aside for what's best for the team.

I've never understood why you need a 315 pound tackle blocking a 275 DE. Why not slim down to 280? The speed of the DE always beats the bulk of the tackle.

Agreed another thing that's nice in the run game for helping isolate talented de is tightends which apparently we don't use anymore

I have been saying for a long time that the S&C coach needs to go. We used to build our line in the weight room.

T_O_B

Well, to your point... we now have Boyd Eppley back in the athletic department in a full-time position. I was so relieved upon hearing this, because he should have an immediate impact on strength and conditioning I would think? If the football staff were smart anyway they would take any suggestions he has to heart! Not to, would be very dumb. Let's just hope certain people's ego's are set aside for what's best for the team.

His job is not with football team.

I've never understood why you need a 315 pound tackle blocking a 275 DE. Why not slim down to 280? The speed of the DE always beats the bulk of the tackle.

Agreed another thing that's nice in the run game for helping isolate talented de is tightends which apparently we don't use anymore

We couldn't use our normal starting TE (Carter) because he was in a walking boot on the bench. I believe Cotton was in on a few snaps but not much. Beck really had few good options last night when the run game went south. Deep shotgun and the DE's get in the backfield too quickly. Under center and it takes to long to find an open receiver and get into throwing motion. Tommy really isn't a move the pocket passer and I'm not sure they practice it and he suffers to make consistent short passes. MSU does the same thing to most teams they play. Shut down the run, funnel you where they want you and gang tackle.

If we did (didn't know Carter was out last night) they could chip block the DE, slide behind the bull rushing LB's keying on AA and receive the pass and waltz in for 6. Once would slow their D. Twice would pull them out completely.

This game proved to me once and for all that Beck is in over his head when it comes to calling a game. he doesn't use one play to set the next. For 5 games in a row, I have seen the receiver go in motion between Pelini and TA and it does nothing. Doesn't lull the D into ignoring it, pull anyone out of the box. It only serves to make me fixate on how many times we do that per game. With Beck as OC, we will never get to the level we as fans hope for. While opposing DC's are playing chess, Beck is playing checkers......

I thought the entire line was below par, but I didn't see any of the 2nd team in the game. Why? I couldn't understand why Price wasn't in or Ryne Reeves at center. I guess when something isn't working, we have to continue to try to make it work, only getting the same results. Wait a minute...that is the definition of insanity!!!

• Fire 1