Blackshirts awarded?

As the thread is derailing, IMO, had Leroy not been suspended it would be Gerry and Alexander as safeties.

I liked Assante. He was good for 1 PI/game (hurt in the CCG in 2009), but I really think guys were scared to go across the middle with him back there. he was a head hunting safety. I really like O'Hanlon. Great open field tackler.

Sadly, the tradition is probably dead. Sad, as it was a great one.

Yep, that's one thing I didn't like about Asante: the PIs every game. Both he and Stafford seemed to show up only for some games, and go missing for others. Both were hard hitters, but when they missed it turned into big plays. My enduring memory of Stafford is getting beat over and over against Wisconsin in the CCG. Probably not his fault entirely, but still... I think both played or are playing in the NFL, so maybe it was more a function of their immaturity, or the scheme, or whatever.

Matt O'Hanlon was a great safety. Roach reminds me of O'Hanlon- a Nebraska kid who may be a little less athletically gifted but who works his ass off. I love players like that.

How has Bo not ruined the blackshirt tradition? First team defense is the blackshirts period. Taking them away or giving them out in the middle of the year isn't the blackshirt tradition it is a Bo tradition that I think is stupid

If my choice is have the blackshirt shirt-handing-out-tradition in tact, or have the defense playing like blackshirts, I'll chose the latter. Generally, the defense has improved enormously since Bo returned in 2008. To me, that's what is important. I think he tried too hard with the shirts to make it meaningful again and ended up overcomplicating it. I agree with you, just hand them out to the starters in practice and call it good. Overall, the defense's mentality is probably as fixed as it's going to be.

Statistically Bo has had worse outings than Cosgrove did while he was here :-(

As the thread is derailing, IMO, had Leroy not been suspended it would be Gerry and Alexander as safeties.

I liked Assante. He was good for 1 PI/game (hurt in the CCG in 2009), but I really think guys were scared to go across the middle with him back there. he was a head hunting safety. I really like O'Hanlon. Great open field tackler.

Yep, that's one thing I didn't like about Asante: the PIs every game. Both he and Stafford seemed to show up only for some games, and go missing for others. Both were hard hitters, but when they missed it turned into big plays. My enduring memory of Stafford is getting beat over and over against Wisconsin in the CCG. Probably not his fault entirely, but still... I think both played or are playing in the NFL, so maybe it was more a function of their immaturity, or the scheme, or whatever.

Matt O'Hanlon was a great safety. Roach reminds me of O'Hanlon- a Nebraska kid who may be a little less athletically gifted but who works his ass off. I love players like that.

How has Bo not ruined the blackshirt tradition? First team defense is the blackshirts period. Taking them away or giving them out in the middle of the year isn't the blackshirt tradition it is a Bo tradition that I think is stupid

If my choice is have the blackshirt shirt-handing-out-tradition in tact, or have the defense playing like blackshirts, I'll chose the latter. Generally, the defense has improved enormously since Bo returned in 2008. To me, that's what is important. I think he tried too hard with the shirts to make it meaningful again and ended up overcomplicating it. I agree with you, just hand them out to the starters in practice and call it good. Overall, the defense's mentality is probably as fixed as it's going to be.

Statistically Bo has had worse outings than Cosgrove did while he was here :-(

Statistically Bo kicks the crap out of the winning percentage of the Callahan/Cosgrove era......including zero losing seasons or missed bowls.

Good comparison. Nose for the ball. I the right spot at the right times and plays sound, fundamental football.

I would give roach a blackshirt and our d line a blackshirt. I would give mitchell a set of stilts and a protein shake. J rose a gps. Bando nothing. Cooper rocket fuel. Gerry eh a blackshirt. Davie a blackshirt. Kalu a blackshirt. Jack gangwish a participation ribbon. Santos a two sided black/pink shirt depending on the day. And finally give Mike rose healing powder and a blackshirt

Gerry is eh a blackshirt? Are you high? Dude is a wrecking ball. Easily our best defensive player away from the line. Remove that eh immediately.

I bought into Pelini's idea of "earning" the blackshirts, but it seemed like after they "earned" them, the defense laid an egg the following weekend. I'm now in the opinion of please hand them out, at minimum to those deserving of one,

so others have something to strive for.

This is a good point.

I don't know if the results actually back this up, but it sure does feel like they've come really flat and disappointed in a big way the week after.

He also handed them out to start the year last year IIRC and we laid an egg vs UCLA. There just isn't a right answer for it.

Personally, this is one area that I despise Bo. He took a great tradition and turned it into a debacle. Now it doesn't mean anything.

Sadly, would agree. Since there is no longer a rhyme or reason as to how and really who, it mess little now.

That's why I started the thread. So little meaning, I could have missed it. Wonder if its completely gone now?

He was the first one listed and that was meant to be he he....autocorrect. apologize for the confusion

I would give roach a blackshirt and our d line a blackshirt. I would give mitchell a set of stilts and a protein shake. J rose a gps. Bando nothing. Cooper rocket fuel. Gerry eh a blackshirt. Davie a blackshirt. Kalu a blackshirt. Jack gangwish a participation ribbon. Santos a two sided black/pink shirt depending on the day. And finally give Mike rose healing powder and a blackshirt

Gerry is eh a blackshirt? Are you high? Dude is a wrecking ball. Easily our best defensive player away from the line. Remove that eh immediately.