An Interesting Blind Resume Test (Please Stop Screaming About SEC Bias)

Landlord

SEC has won the MNC 7 out of the last 8 and played in every single one, against what was supposed to be the second best team. They have more NFL talent drafted from that conference in a year than all the other ones combined or close to.

True. But what does any of that have to do with which teams are the best this year?

• Fire 1

i agree with you about the gap closing. i think if ksu and wiscy win (and wvu just for the icing), this season looks a lot different.

the other problem is the SEC is just more interesting right now. i mean, how many marquee games are we seeing in the B1G? or other conferences? outside of fsu/ul, not many this week.

that is something that could change very quickly. just a few teams from the B1G and pac 12 need to step up.

SEC BIAS!!!!! Oh, what. You said STOP screaming it. (Whispers) sec bias

Is there am SEC bias? Yes and eSECpn has a financial interest in promoting it. I also think there is a negative bias for the B1G.

As for the TexASS Conference it needs to be swallowed up by the other four major conference's for a legit playoff system to work, 5 conference champions just

doesn't make for a good playoff bracket. The TexASS Conference will never have another Conference Championship game because TexASS doesn't want to take the

chance of having an end of the year loss, they just don't want another championship win that has to be engineered by the officials on the field.

T_O_B

Ok, Big 10 should take OU and KSU. For basketball, I'd prefer Kansas but they'd hurt us in football rankings. In the real world, OU probably won't be allowed to join a new conf wtout kid brother Ok State and OU probably tied themselves to texas's hip. The way the Big 10 chose the last 2 we'd probably get weaklings ISU and KU. KU for KC TVs (I think they are AAU also) and ISU just because of Iowa.

SEC BIAS!!!!! Oh, what. You said STOP screaming it. (Whispers) sec bias

Is there am SEC bias? Yes and eSECpn has a financial interest in promoting it. I also think there is a negative bias for the B1G.

As for the TexASS Conference it needs to be swallowed up by the other four major conference's for a legit playoff system to work, 5 conference champions just

doesn't make for a good playoff bracket. The TexASS Conference will never have another Conference Championship game because TexASS doesn't want to take the

chance of having an end of the year loss, they just don't want another championship win that has to be engineered by the officials on the field.

T_O_B

Ok, Big 10 should take OU and KSU. For basketball, I'd prefer Kansas but they'd hurt us in football rankings. In the real world, OU probably won't be allowed to join a new conf wtout kid brother Ok State and OU probably tied themselves to texas's hip. The way the Big 10 chose the last 2 we'd probably get weaklings ISU and KU. KU for KC TVs (I think they are AAU also) and ISU just because of Iowa.

There is no way OU goes anywhere without Texas. Their athletic director has said this publicly.

Interesting. I'm interested in knowing if the wins against top 25 that were listed were ranked at time of playing or how they are ranked now.

This is very important, and even if it is the ranking now, there is still a bias from the initial ranking. If a team is ranked #1 and loses, their ranking is still top 10. Alabama may still be ranked in the top 20 with an 0-5 record.

Cowherd just said that he thinks the committee actually had a little Anit-SEC bias since Bama should be higher than 6, and Georgia is much better than 11. I feel so much better now.

WTF????

3 of 4 are from the SEC and they complain because the next two are too low when they are still in the top 11?

What a bunch of BS. That is such a week argument that I'm shocked it was even attempted.

Cowherd? What a stupid comment.

What top 25 and top 10 rankings did they use for the wins against on the resumes? Doesn't that kind of eliminate the blind thing since these rankings supposedly have the SEC bias?

Great point.

Average point. The negative side of using the top 25/top 10 W-L record is a far, far less negative than the negative of not having a clue how teams have done against good competition. Slightly over-informed is better than severely under-informed.

To the people saying the previous year should have no bearing... I completely disagree. I guarantee performance in consecutive years is highly correlated overall. FSU won the NC, they should be given the benefit of the doubt. Auburn got 2nd, they should be one of the highest 1 loss teams. Nebraska loses 4 games a year every year, they shouldn't be top 10 with 1 loss at this pt in the season. Oregon has 1-2 losses each year, they should be top 10, etc. Until there's strong evidence that a team is much improved or much worse than the previous season, it's good evidence to build upon.

To the people saying the previous year should have no bearing... I completely disagree. I guarantee performance in consecutive years is highly correlated overall. FSU won the NC, they should be given the benefit of the doubt. Auburn got 2nd, they should be one of the highest 1 loss teams. Nebraska loses 4 games a year every year, they shouldn't be top 10 with 1 loss at this pt in the season. Oregon has 1-2 losses each year, they should be top 10, etc. Until there's strong evidence that a team is much improved or much worse than the previous season, it's good evidence to build upon.

agreed. and returning starters would be indicative of potential or expectations.

You look at the talent on the team, that was there last year with proven results. It is just like any business, past results give ideas of what is coming. Injuries change those predictions, one of the reasons Oregon is getting such high marks.

Most of these teams are not one year wonders, Ole Miss and Mississippi State are, but some have said for a long time Ole Miss was growing. Mississippi State was more of a surprise, and will most likely fade quickly next year. A lot of seniors playing this year.

Out of conference, I believe the Big 10 was the worst, and the SEC was the best. Not taking the time to look it up, but remember hearing a lot of talk about it early in the season on Sirius.

Michigan screwed the pooch for the big ten, the others may have for their conference, but I don't follow those quite as close. We are at 15 and Ohio State is at 16. Beating us or Ohio State is not going to do Michigan State a lot of good, Either of us beating Michigan State will take the conference farther out of the playoff most likely.

Now if Florida State loses, then the ACC automatically becomes the doormat, as Duke is too far down the list even if they win the conference.

This is a huge game tonight, for all the top 20 teams. Everything can change drastically

Cowherd just said that he thinks the committee actually had a little Anit-SEC bias since Bama should be higher than 6, and Georgia is much better than 11. I feel so much better now.

WTF????

3 of 4 are from the SEC and they complain because the next two are too low when they are still in the top 11?

What a bunch of BS. That is such a week argument that I'm shocked it was even attempted.

Cowherd? What a stupid comment.

Goes to show that his defensive comments about Bo's SEC statement were just an employee lockstepping to the company line.