Bo and Beck

I am I

I'll plus one this but I'd elaborate that Beck needs a "pocket passer". While I think Tommy could still improve in the "pocket passer" area, Beck is forcing him to be one. I think Tommy right now could flourish a bit more with some rolling out, moving the pocket, and giving him a little more freedom with his feet and arm. Purdue actually did it with Appleby quite a bit.

nt to run the read option, hire an OC who runs the read option. If you want to hire Beck, recruit a QB who is a more natural passer.

This. I keep imagining what we'd have with a guy even like K-State's QB given the fact we have a Heisman candidate running back.

If Beck is fired. Who do we want? I hope Bo would not just promote someone.

There's just no way Beck gets fired. It's hard to believe people are entertaining this.

He's got KU Head Coach written all over him.

It's hard to say an offensive coordinator for an 8-1 team that is statistically high rated in a majority of offensive categories would be or should be fired so lets not start with that again.

I like to instead say that he will be promoted.

You know guys, there is still that possibility where he just ends up doing what he freaking said he would do, and this thing would probably work a lot better. Simplifying and trimming down what we are doing would have to eliminate the sloppiness. We've been talking about this forever here and I foolishly believed Beck when he said that was his plan.

If we didn't look so stupid sometimes, and were still having these results against these weak ass Big Ten defenses, there really isn't a lot you could find to complain about. I mean, I know we could all find something, but at least we would have to look harder.

• Fire 1

Great points about special teams and Defense.

By all accounts when Bo directly puts his finger on a need of the program it does seem to get better.

Thanks for clarifying when else I heard him say that about the O.

I hope they get it together for these last 4-5 games.

I actually want Bo to succeed. he coaches character and that means a lot to me. His public image has improved and he is learning to be a manager. recruiting appears to be on the rise as well. I am worried that as an inexperienced coach, he has surrounded himself with even less experienced coordinators. Not a good thing. Like Cally and Coz, Beck (IMO) might cost Bo. If there is true frustration, it might be that Bo is looking at options to improve the O and one might be letting his friend go......

I think its time we stop calling Bo an inexperienced coach.

I really believe we have QBs with plenty of talent. But just coming in from HS and playing in college and expecting the same success is dumb. Players need to be developed in college. And the biggest position that needs developed is the QB and we don't have a QB coach?? We have a frickin TE coach but not a QB coach?? There is no position on the field more important that QB. We have to be able to develop QBs or chances of winning championships will be dismal. You can't expect to just recruit ready made guys. They are few and far between.

• Fire 1

Personally, I'm not a big fan of Beck's style of offense. Although I'd be more than willing to overlook that if it was as efficient as some of the offenses we're trying emulate.

I think a more traditional, ball control, power running game would suit us more than an up-tempo, no-huddle, hodgepodge of various offensive philosophies. Especially with the way our defense and special teams is playing.

Your not going to change offensive philosophies in the middle of the season. I thinks Becks big problem is exactly what he says.

Honestly, I don't there will be a change in philosophy even after the season, unless there's a change at HC. I would love to go back to a more traditional power running offense, but I realize it's likely a pipe dream.

I think Beck's problem is his running game is to simplistic/unimaginative. As we saw during the MacNeese and Mich. St. games, once our couple run plays are shut down, he doesn't have any other run plays to go to. No counters/misdirction, traps, sweeps, ect.

I really believe we have QBs with plenty of talent. But just coming in from HS and playing in college and expecting the same success is dumb. Players need to be developed in college. And the biggest position that needs developed is the QB and we don't have a QB coach?? We have a frickin TE coach but not a QB coach?? There is no position on the field more important that QB. We have to be able to develop QBs or chances of winning championships will be dismal. You can't expect to just recruit ready made guys. They are few and far between.

I agree with the majority of what you're saying, but I still think that the question of where we could potentially be if we stop marrying ourselves to recruiting only dual-threat QBs is very underrated.

If you snag a kid who has inherently more passing ability and you pair him up with the stable of WR's we've gotten along with our ability to recruit and coach great I-Backs, it seems like worth a shot to try. I so badly want to see Bo try to find a kid that's 'pass first, run second,' but it apparently just isn't going to happen.

I hate saying this, because it feels disloyal to Tommy...but I'm constantly wondering if we'd be a different (read: much better) offense with a pass-first guy.

Great points about special teams and Defense.

By all accounts when Bo directly puts his finger on a need of the program it does seem to get better.

Thanks for clarifying when else I heard him say that about the O.

I hope they get it together for these last 4-5 games.

I actually want Bo to succeed. he coaches character and that means a lot to me. His public image has improved and he is learning to be a manager. recruiting appears to be on the rise as well. I am worried that as an inexperienced coach, he has surrounded himself with even less experienced coordinators. Not a good thing. Like Cally and Coz, Beck (IMO) might cost Bo. If there is true frustration, it might be that Bo is looking at options to improve the O and one might be letting his friend go......

I think its time we stop calling Bo an inexperienced coach.

With his initial hires. He needed (2008-2010) to have surrounded himself with qualified experienced coordinators. He did not. He continues to teach and train his D staff and has an OC who's learning on the fly.

Or TA an inexperienced QB........

huh?

I thiught out of high school Armstrong was the better passer and Stanton the more stout runner. I only say this cuz i remember it being kinda odd since it was Stanton in the Elie11 comp, which suggested to me a more prolific passer. I vividly remember being corrected on this notion in the recruiting thread for one of the two.

Damon Benning@damonbenning 47m47 minutes ago

What does Nebraska fans think about 51 rushing attempts vs 21 passing attempts? That was Saturday.

Damon Benning@damonbenning 38m38 minutes ago

@HotHuskers I only ask because I'm trying to illustrate that sometimes" it's outside of a coaches hands. Players play, coaches coach.

Again it goes back to how you use those attempts, running Imani to the edges is idiotic.

This. Imani is a North/South bruiser. Use him accordingly.

But this has been a constant refrain in the Beck era--trying to pound round pegs through square holes, if you will, and expecting success.

I think this is hilarious. Last year people were whining about how predictable we were when Ron Kellogg was inserted into the game. Now people want to pigeon hole our rbs into inside/outside runners. Does Imani get outside with the same instincts and ability as AA? no. But neither does 99% of the other backs in college. So many people were bitching about Imanis carries(has its own thread actually) and were ready to fire Beck over his lack of use this year and now the same people want to reduce his situational running? Its really a tough job keeping every fan happy. Especially when people always come down on the side of being disappointed.

• Fire 1

The one thing that I will never be able to understand is why we keep hearing over and over that "it's my fault I put to much on them" or "I changed and over thought them to much trying to take what they give us Blah Blah Blah". That is the thing that just kills me to hear after a dismal performance. Really for crying out loud you are an OC for a name brand D1 football team. I can see putting a few wrinkles in just in case they show us this or do what we all know their D will try to do and that is shut down Ameer and Tommy in the run game. But you don't start with that and you sure as hell don't rely on it all game. You use what got us to 8-1 you run Our offense and make them shut us down and when or if they do then you show them some wrinkles to think about. I just don't get changing what we are good at for this team or that team it just doesn't make sense.

The one thing that I will never be able to understand is why we keep hearing over and over that "it's my fault I put to much on them" or "I changed and over thought them to much trying to take what they give us Blah Blah Blah". That is the thing that just kills me to hear after a dismal performance.

Would you rather have him throw his C and QB under the bus by name?