Bo and Beck

I am I

That Kansas passing attack barely resembles what we are doing right now. There was timing. How can we have timing right now when the QB and the WR are both making reads and each could be different. To me, this offense is complex BECAUSE of this concept, more than any of it's other concepts. It adds an unneeded hesitation and variable to every passing down. We have WR's that want to take every ball to the house and they run their routes accordingly. We have a QB that seems happy to try to oblige them. Still, I can't force myself to think Tommy is the weak link in all this. I've seen the kid do plenty of great things. He's just losing his comfort out there. He used to have it. It's baffling to me, it's supposed to go the other way around. The more you play and the more you see, the more comfortable you're supposed to get. The mental nightmares with this team......troubling.

The key to the great KU offenses was a accurate, smart, experienced QB in Todd Reesing.

While it says something about your offense if your ideal is Todd Reesing, the ultimate point is it may be too technical to succeed with any regularity.

• Fire 2

Lastly, the quote from the announcers in the Miami game.

"All the dancing, talking and fighting and they shoved it in their face with the running game"

What happened to that OL and play calling? I really thought that the game (scheme) clicked for beck and he had finally his (our) identity.......

i believe Mike Moudys little public slip up provides interesting insight into your question.

The direction of the offense right now is a pretty sad state in my opinion. Confusion. Lack of confidence. Too much thinkin. OC admitting to basically screwing the pooch multiple time a year and there obvious regression.

Dude, I wouldn't say our pass game is complex. The Kansas pass game under Mangino wasn't exactly Stanford pro-style complex, right? It was just effective under Reesing. And our passing game isn't that yet, it's more simple by necessity.

Maybe not. But it is too complex for our players to pick up and be on the same page consistently. And we're cooking up new routes for Purdue when our receivers struggle running the routes that were already in the playbook.

Meanwhile it seems like we only have a few running plays in the wheelhouse, with no earnest attempts to be more creative there, where we should be more creative. Instead of trying to cook up more stuff in the passing game to trick Purdue.

Maybe complex was a bad choice of words. Maybe creative would work better. A team that wants to be run-heavy should be more creative in the running game than the passing game. That's all I'm really trying to say. Auburn would actually be an excellent example of this.

All your film prep is basically done, you watch about 3 full games to get an idea of what a team will do or try to do...

Things like trick plays and gadget plays should be accounted for in your defensive scheme anyway.

Now, if Beck would have come over vs Purdue with Fyfe at QB, running only the wishbone...then it would have been "putting something on film" but that is about it.

I suppose on wrinkle we might see for UW is that the jet sweet motion might be used more as a "give" instead of a decoy.

I guess I didn't know we put in a whole bunch of new passing plays for Purdue. Was this discussed by the staff or players somewhere?

And more awesome stuff here.......

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/mckewon-tough-test-is-an-opportunity-for-tim-beck-husker/article_cf781864-327c-53db-a099-5d79e359e300.html

Beck apparently spent all last week cramming his unit for a quantum physics exam, the way he prepared quarterback Tommy Armstrong and the offense. Three different defensive looks in practice for each offensive set? New route wrinkles? For Purdue?[/size]

Guard Mike Moudy isnt a captain, but he unintentionally crystallized in a kind way what Husker fans see when Nebraska breaks tendency and Beck, like an aggressive Wall Street bond trader, tries to find the big short in the opposing defense.

We spent too much time looking to throw the perfect play at them instead of just running our style, downhill, and trying to get on the ball and lined up as fast as possible, he said.

Beck said afterward he was mad at myself. Armstrong was steamed at himself.

Yep, this is the guy to be the OC. Year 4................

Just imagine the disaster that the game would have been if we were playing a team that was better. Beck's comments and ideas should concern even the most stringent supporters.

It would have been like the first 3.5 quarters of the MSU game. We've seen this movie before. It ends with an ass kicking by the Badgers and perhaps Iowa too (depending on which Iowa team shows up).

Reading some of these comments, it's not even that we're just struggling to do what we do best. It all seems that we're just trying too hard to be a difficult opponent. I think some people can easily get caught up in the idea that we should just line up and force a defense to stop us. There has to be some of that, but, there also has to be wrinkles and means of attacking a defense's weak points. Strategy in connection with doing what you do best.

This just seems like we're more focused on strategizing than going with what we know works. Losing Abdullah is clearly going to impact the offense. But, when receivers aren't on the same page as their QB and your center/QB can't figure out how to snap the ball to save their lives, there's something else going on there. Those are all mental errors.

Maybe not. But it is too complex for our players to pick up and be on the same page consistently. And we're cooking up new routes for Purdue when our receivers struggle running the routes that were already in the playbook.

Players? Or one player? We seem to have significantly more issues with throws being nowhere near receivers - not to mention lower completion percentage - in the last year and a half.

The numbers:

Source: http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/coaches/

To summarize:

BD - First 7 seasons went 59/16 with a w% of 78.7% going 2-3 in bowl games

TO - First 7 seasons went 65/83 with a w% of 78.3% going 4-3 in bowl games

BP - First 7 seasons went 65/90 with a w% of 72.2% going 4-3 in bowl games

Intangibles:

Bo has run a pretty damn clean program in his time here with no serious scandals. In todays CF landscape (i.e. J. Winston, North Carolina, MIAMI!!! etc..) it is imperative to run a program with integrity. This is one area I am super stoked on in how he is managing the program. Internal discipline of players has been swift and consistent from what I have seen. I don't have the time to look up academics and graduation rates but my suspicion is that they are relatively high.

My 2 cents:

Ok, so we should all breathe a little easier. Bo's tenure so far is not so different from TO's and BD's in comparison. In fact, maybe those of you who like to whine about 4 loss seasons should look back on 67/68 when our beloved Bob Devaney coached us to back-to-back 6-4 seasons with no bowl and be thankful we are not winning only 60% of our games. We continue to see improvement in the defense and special teams. The offense is going to need some more work and the jury is still out on Beck as far as consistency is concerned but we have a solid foundation and plenty of talent (AA, KB etc.). I don't possess enough grace currently to discuss the OL, sorry. But at the end of the day we can say we are in position to compete for the B1G every year, we graduate players, we have a clean program and a coach who has some growing to do but is doing so with passion and integrity. I, for one, am stoked on where we are at. We have every right to take issue with the performance of the program, but we need to keep in mind how we go about doing it. Depending on where you spend your Sunday mornings, we should have faith and encourage the best we can. Sit back, relax and enjoy the football season. It's been a fun one so far. Stay the course, our two legendary coaches had tough times as well and part of what probably kept them on the job and working towards greatness and delivering championships was the love and support of the "Best Fans in College Football".

//end rant

The numbers:

To summarize:

For clarity, you should adjust either Devaney's fraction or TO/BP. You seem to be showing W/L with BD, but, then an overall winning percentage with TO/BP. I know you have BD's w% there too, but I got confused at first, so others may too!

If we are going to compare/contrast, though, I do think it's fair to note that TO won (I believe) two Big 8 conference titles in his first six years. I know, different times. But, in terms of the culmination of a season, this has been one of my biggest disappointments. All the positives you mentioned are very fair, though, especially the part about having run a relatively clean program and graduating his players. But, I do think it's important this university wins conference titles.

• Fire 1

The numbers:

To summarize:

For clarity, you should adjust either Devaney's fraction or TO/BP. You seem to be showing W/L with BD, but, then an overall winning percentage with TO/BP. I know you have BD's w% there too, but I got confused at first, so others may too!

If we are going to compare/contrast, though, I do think it's fair to note that TO won (I believe) two Big 8 conference titles in his first six years. I know, different times. But, in terms of the culmination of a season, this has been one of my biggest disappointments. All the positives you mentioned are very fair, though, especially the part about having run a relatively clean program and graduating his players. But, I do think it's important this university wins conference titles.

+1 I agree with you. It is frustrating that we are 'competing' for the B1G championship and not winning them. I won't do a comparison because that was then and this is now. We are very close. Previous coaching staffs had to go through some growing pains and they responded as such (TO/McBride in the 80s transitioning to speed in the 90s, we all know how that worked out). I think we should let this coaching staff develop. Papuchis is going to take us places, mark my words. Beck may or may not be the guy, but we should have faith that those in charge are doing the right thing with staffing. Integrity, integrity, integrity...this staff has it and we should support them. Nothing in life that was handed out was worth it, the things that require sacrifice, patience and hard work are worth it and all the sweeter. I'll take BP & Co. over the Jimbo Fishers/Nick Saban's of the world any day of the week and twice on Sunday.