Keys to beating Wisconsion

The key to beating UW offensively is pretty simple. Stop Gordon and Clement from busting long TD runs and make Stave pick up 3rd and 5+ and it is easy to disrupt the O. Now that is a task that is tough to do in reality despite the simple theory. But the key to UW this year has been the D, not the O.

The Badgers have the #1 ranked defense in the NCAA. With Warren Herring on the field this D has been taken to a different level. When he left the LSU game the D had given up 7 points on one 83 yard blown coverage. Maryland's first stringers managed to score one TD in the final 52 seconds against our 2nd and 3rd stringers. Rutgers did not score. In other words, this D is legit when healthy. The one area that can be exploited is the deep pass, as our DBs are almost always in man-to-man and we usually have at least one safety blitzing or in the box. If you can hit some long passes you can score on UW, if you can't hit a few over the top, it can be a long day for opposing offenses. The new front 7 has started to jell and the DBs have benefitted from the improved pass rush. Everyone always looks at Gordon and the lack of a passing game as the keys to matching up with Bucky but the D is the engine for this team. Getting to 24 points is something that only LSU and Illinois (and Illinois scored two garbage time TDs against our back ups after the game was 38-14) have managed to do so far this year, and both of them faced a depleted Badgers D. Neb is certainly one of, if not the, best teams we will have faced, but we have had this game circled all year as the key to the season and I would expect to get UW's A game in two weeks. Scoring may be at a premium.

I agree your defense is the biggest key, and then your running game. I do not anticipate a high octane type of offense where the points are going back and forth. We do need to hit some of those deep passes and some good punt returns. Whichever team is going to win, I do not think they will score over 27 unless the wheels fall off of one team. Should be a great game!

Confidence. This team seems to thrive or wither based on early game events. If we come out rocking and moving the ball the trend continues (on and off) throughout the game. If we get stuffed early, a couple three and outs, it's seemed like that has seeped in the psyche of players and it can be hard to wake them up. So for me, I'd like to see some early positive signs. Regardless of how they come. That will be my indicator for how the game is going to turn out.

Confidence. This team seems to thrive or wither based on early game events. If we come out rocking and moving the ball the trend continues (on and off) throughout the game. If we get stuffed early, a couple three and outs, it's seemed like that has seeped in the psyche of players and it can be hard to wake them up. So for me, I'd like to see some early positive signs. Regardless of how they come. That will be my indicator for how the game is going to turn out.

i think in previous years this was definitely the case.. this years squad reminds me more and more of the 2009 huskers! they've spotted teams early leads almost every game this year and yet they're 8-1.. with the michigan state game reminescent of the 09 mizzou game, just started the comeback to late!!

I would get TA A LOT more involved in the running game. Not zone read or option, but actual designed runs.

Find a way to use more (majority) of 2 back sets. This way, D keys on AA (if playing) go to Newby or Cross.

Realize that while on O, if they send 6, we need to block with 6 or 7. NOT 5.

Use the TE a lot. (Beck has shown little of this) No way Wisky will scheme to stop a TE passing attack or designed routes to the RB in the middle.

Wisky puts their QB's on an Island ala MSU. When we finally went vertical in that game (and changed the snap) we scored.

Play to the strengths of our players. i.e. Cross between the tackles, Newby more outside. Have them in a 2 back set so the D will hesitate as to who gets the ball..

Challenge to OL to win the battle in the trenches.

For once in Beck's life, use misdirection to counter the DL and LB pressure. Get them going one way and go the opposite.

Defensively, stack the box and seal the edge on the DL. Don't allow Gordon (or Clement) outside.

Their pass game stinks, but the majority of their completions have been to the TE or RB.........Our Kryptonite. Maybe bring Gerry into the box to cover the RB or TE across the middle and leave Coop to cover deep or vice versa.

Need a BIG game from our DL. Rotate and keep them fresh. Bring a controlled chaos at the LOS. Hold gap control and don't run or get blocked out of the play.....

If we come out in offensive sets they haven't seen i.e. 2 back, jumbo, diamond etc (seen a lot) and use the heavy run to set up the pass. When they creep up, go PA vertical. Will need a big game from the receivers. Also can the read routes......We go score for score, we win. They get ahead and Beck freaks, we lose....

Lastly, realize that for now, the road to the West goes through Wisky. We knock them off and folks (even NU) will realize that it goes through Lincoln!

This game could easily turn into Michigan State 2.0 unless Armstrong is able to hit most of those short dump off throws. Had he hit some of those against Michigan State, that game would have turned out much differently. If Wisconsin doesn't fear our air attack at all and we give them no reason to, it's going to be an extremely long night.

People, People People...they got beat by Northwestern. And they rolled some weak teams to make themselves look menacing. Let's not call them Michigan State here.....

Yeah I can buy this. I wish we could've gotten wisky earlier in the schedule when I think they were still searching for an identity on offense. I think they've now resigned themselves to being one dimensional. And teams knowing they are one dimensional gives wisky an advantage to a degree. I expect some pass plays to come from unusual sets and maybe some trickeration.

People, People People...they got beat by Northwestern. And they rolled some weak teams to make themselves look menacing. Let's not call them Michigan State here.....

oh wait are you talking about us in 2011?

Look, they're going to be tough...but they ARE NOT Michigan State. That is all.

Very true, they are playing pretty good but they haven't played anyone great as of late.

I watch a lot of Wisconsin. Maryland played probably the worst game they have played all year. They got down early and basically gave up. Rutgers was so beat up after playing NU they had no chance. Nova couldn't even move and they just feasted on him. Their punter literally shanked 4 punts for about 20 yards each. They started like 4 drives on Rutgers 40 yard line because of it.

Now this week Wisconsin will get Purdue after we beat on them for a game, Purdue's starting safety will be out with a concussion and their best receiver tore his ACL in the game. They seem to be getting teams after NU has soften them up a bit. :ahhhhhhhh

They are a pretty good team, but they are beatable.

oh wait are you talking about us in 2011?

Look, they're going to be tough...but they ARE NOT Michigan State. That is all.

Nobody has said they were Michigan State so why are you even posting