Post Election

Good original post. Yes, it is the repubs' job to make hay now. There have been finger pointing by both sides - repubs causing stagnation or Harry Reid causing it because he's protecting Obama from having to address repub House bills - yadda yadda. Regardless, it is now on the repubs to prove they can move forward wt governance.

The big question is - what kind of mandate do the repubs have? If this is a referendum on Obama, which I believe it was, then the repubs may see it as a clear mandate to oppose any of Obama's initiatives and start marching off in a new direction on everything from health care to immigration reform, budgets, etc.

And the increase of repub governors in blue states was a nice surprise. I'm a Scott Walker fan, so he may be set up for a 2016 run.

Kasich (Ohio), Sandoval (NV), Martinez (NM), Walker (WI), Snyder (MI). All GOP governors winning easily in Obama states with pretty conservative records because they figured out the tone issue and knew which fights to pick and which to back down from. If the party has any sense, one of them will be at the top of the 2016 ticket.

IIRC, all but Walker accepted the Affordable Care Act/Medicaid expansion.

Does that mean you agree that the ACA is fading as an issue (excepting the truly extreme of course)?

Of course it is. If the electoral fundamentals play out to their historical expectations, the GOP will have unified control of the government after the 2016 elections, at which time they'll make a few cosmetic changes to the law, claim it's all they could do with the obstructionist behavior of Senate Democrats, declare victory and move on leaving the law essentially intact.

Walker and Snyder on the 2016 GOP ticket would be great. For Democrats.

You're aware that the states they just won in (again) are to the left of the nation as a whole, right? One side of the political spectrum really, really hating someone does not mean that person is unelectable. Obama and Bush are testaments to that fact.

but . . . tyranny!

but . . . tyranny!

You may want to study China and how they keep economic growth high. It's very similar to here as of late. I'm pretty sure the discussion isn't if economic growth is bad, or good, it's how it's happening and which method we want here, as opposed to there, which in theory is a different setup.

-Improve the economy = It isn't worse than when Obama came into office but it's not roaring along either.

"We've now had 63 straight months of economic expansion.

That’s right, for 63 consecutive months the US economy has gotten progressively better. That includes 54 consecutive months of private sector job growth. Forbes magazine, no fan of President Obama, crunched the numbers and demonstrated how the economic recovery under President Obama has been better in just about every measurable way than the recovery under President Reagan."
"We are currently enjoying the longest period of private sector job creation in American history.
Again, this statistic comes from the Forbes Magazine article listed above. In fact, we have now had 54 straight months of private sector job creation. That is the longest period of job creation since the Department of Labor has been keeping statistics. See the link below."
"The Federal budget deficit is shrinking. It’s been reduced by two-thirds since 2009.
The $1.4 trillion federal budget deficit that Obama inherited in 2009 was in a large part due to the high rate of unemployment. When millions of people were put out of work in 2008 and 2009, it resulted in far less income taxes and less economic activity to generate federal revenue. As ten million people have been put back to work, there have been billions more tax dollars generated. As a result, the deficit has been shrinking each year. The 2014 deficit is projected to be around $500 billion, the smallest deficit since 2007 and roughly 1/3 of what it was in 2009."
"Under President Obama, spending has increased only 1.4% annually, the lowest rate since Eisenhower was president.
You may have heard critics say that President Obama is spending money wildly and running up our debt. According to this article from Forbes, Obama has increased spending by 1.4% annually, far less than President Reagan (8.7%) or George W. Bush (8.1%). In fact, Obama has increased spending less than any president since Eisenhower."

How does this dispute my comment?

I about threw up in my mouth every time I filled in a circle no matter what party they were from

That is a pretty big statement about how low we have gone. If you are voting for the lessor of two evils, what are you really voting for. I really wish a third party (or fourth, or fifth) could really get a foothold.

I would vote for UKIP in a heartbeat...but I doubt that they will be establishing themselves in the US any time soon :(

Democratic party denial

Nancy Pelosi quote from the article:

She said the chief message she took from Tuesday’s election, which saw Democrats eviscerated at all levels, is that voter suppression was a problem.

Me:

In his press conf, Obama when asked what he heard from the election was that he heard the voice of the 2/3rds that didn't vote - You can't speak if you don't vote. Those

who voted spoke loudly. Obama, himself, said before the election that the election would be about his policies thus urging his supporters to get out and vote. I guess those "2/3" didn't

think enough of his policies to take the time to vote. That is what I hear from those 2/3rds. Those who voted, spoke loudly. As many commentators have said this wasn't necessarily a love fest for the

the repubs but a repudiation of the current administration's policies. It is now time for the repubs to earn any love by governing effectively. They aren't off the hook as this could swing the other way in 2 years

if they fail.

(maybe she was talking about all of the illegals not being able to vote)

Democratic party denial

She said the chief message she took from Tuesday’s election, which saw Democrats eviscerated at all levels, is that voter suppression was a problem.

Oh my friggen Lord.

That woman and Harry can't get thrown out of Washington fast enough.

It is now time for the repubs to earn any love by governing effectively.

I am eager to see what they bring to the table.

Yes siree. I'm looking forward to this. Batter up ! After election day honeymoon is over and within two years, almost guaranteed sky is falling down in US economy plus Wall Street will crash, worse than 1929 Black Tuesday yet thousands of CEO's and lieutenants triple the loophole-tax-free salaries ..... the rich get richer, the poor get poorer ...... repubs way. You better hurry up ...... cash in your stocks !

:sarcasm or not. I'm not telling you.

Show votes on the Affordable Care Act.

Blocking EPA regulations in ways that benefit polluters.

Approving the Keystone XL (I think that has always been inevitable . . . and at least when it passes we won't have to hear about it solving all of our problems unless and until it leaks.)

Repeal the Medical Device Tax. (Obama would probably sign that one.)

Other than that? Fake investigations into fake scandals.

• Fire 1

Democratic party denial

Oh my friggen Lord.

That woman and Harry can't get thrown out of Washington fast enough.

I'd like to see what she actually said instead of the Washington Times summary . . .

Show votes on the Affordable Care Act.

Blocking EPA regulations in ways that benefit polluters.

Approving the Keystone XL (I think that has always been inevitable . . . and at least when it passes we won't have to hear about it solving all of our problems unless and until it leaks.)

Repeal the Medical Device Tax. (Obama would probably sign that one.)

Other than that? Fake investigations into fake scandals.

Did you notice the Justice Department dropped 64,000 documents during elections to keep it under the radar.

• Fire 1