Ex-Nebraska players say broker gave extra benefits, stole their money

Amac3309

If you dig hard enough at any school, you will find crap like this.

Yep. You'd like to think your school is free of such things, but you've got 100+ guys on a team at any given time. It would defy statistical reality to expect every one of them to never get in trouble. We have a litany of things crop up every year, from stealing bikes to ex-players involved in murder to stuff like this. It's an unfortunate reality of having a bunch of individuals represent the school.

Student athletes are easy targets for the type of person that does this crap. This kind of stuff isn't good for the student or the school.

Worth investigating, but also worth noting the difference between institutional corruption to attract and keep players on a college football team, and individual financial predators looking to bilk them out of their future pro earnings.

A $500 handshake is a $500 handshake to the NCAA.

Worth investigating, but also worth noting the difference between institutional corruption to attract and keep players on a college football team, and individual financial predators looking to bilk them out of their future pro earnings.

Yes, I think this is the important point. This is going to have to be reported, but it's not going to be a big deal as far as the school is concerned.

For the players' sakes, every program has to watch out for these people.

Yes, I think this is the important point. This is going to have to be reported, but it's not going to be a big deal as far as the school is concerned.

For the players' sakes, every program has to watch out for these people.

An important point to remember. Happens everywhere; Nebraska happened to be in the spotlight here. Even then, I think Octavian and Bullocks represented themselves well.

• Fire 1

@HuskerExtraBC: UNL news director Steve Smith said the university is "confident that appropriate action was taken given the information we had at the time."

@HuskerExtraBC: "Nonetheless, we have been in communication with the Big Ten Conference and the NCAA about these claims," Smith said in a statement.

Article from the NY times in 2009 about all of this

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/25/business/25ponzi.html?_r=0

She also duped Michael Vick

The NCAA is just such a crapshoot when it comes to disciplinary action, it makes me :facepalm:

The only thing this whole thing makes me wonder how much this goes on now in Bo's program vs. when Callahan had the reigns. I mean so far as I know, the only "impermissible benefits" the current players have gotten were books. I can't possibly bring myself to have a problem with that, personally.

A $500 handshake is a $500 handshake to the NCAA.

The clout of the NCAA is about as strong as Olive Oyl. The NCAA is a joke and will be replaced with another body to make rules and decisions in the very near future.